What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
yes yes the kind folk in the big city have decided to build me some lovely windmills to look at. They are especially nice at night seeing 500 red lights blinking at me. It’s almost like fireflies. At least 3 of the windmills work, too. đŸ˜œ (sarcasm).
LOL!!

Well we have 68 so far, but we(area residents) got the county involved and had the company install a radar system. The lights remain off until an aircraft comes within 3 miles of them.

Reactions: 1 user

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
On the advice of a pest control guy I called, I used a small can of tuna the first try. That night it rained, and I woke up to my first catch, a soaking wet black cat. When I opened the door, he shot out, never to be seen again.
Then, since the coons had been stealing my bird suet I applied a little logic and came up with: wire a cob of corn to the bottom of the trap. Then smear a generous helping of suet on the corn. Five times I've caught the culprit the first night out, so it's almost can't miss.
I like the bird suet/feed idea, I'm gonna start doing that, the farm cats don't eat that.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
LOL!!

Well we have 68 so far, but we(area residents) got the county involved and had the company install a radar system. The lights remain off until an aircraft comes within 3 miles of them.
Interesting.
I wonder how effective/reliable that is......from a pilot perspective!
3 miles is only 3 minutes in the fog/haze at 180 mph,...... and the windmills are widely separated?
I don't like the odds for low time light aircraft pilots.

I don't like windmills either!

Last edited:

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
Interesting.
I wonder how effective/reliable that is......from a pilot perspective!
3 miles is only 3 minutes in the fog/haze at 180 mph,...... and the windmills are widely separated?
I don't like the odds for low time light aircraft pilots.

I don't like windmills either!
I think your math might be a little off.

Reactions: 5 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
We had a busy day with the little lady….she transferred bike bike rack and Adirondack rack to the big barn, got a mow in before the rain this evening, transferred some straw, did a small fencing job, and moved / Transferred our first bee box outside (into small fenced area in the hillside - bees should arrive this week!).
That has to be the prettiest functional beehive I’ve ever seen.

The pile of boxes of my father’s we recently gave away: those were all painted with paint off the mis-mix bargain shelf. Only requirement to be a light color. When all the boxes were mixed up and put together they were not aesthetically pleasing in any way whatsoever.

Yours is more like artful painting on a piece of furniture. Very nice!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Pretty sure you typed 3 miles is only 3 minutes in the fog/haze at 180 mph.
Yup, my mistake!

3 miles at 180mph would take only one minute.
Thus, IMHO, that is a rather questionable time/distance to avoid an aviation obstruction, especially in a restricted visibility situation, and among a grouping of similar obstructions.

hoot owl

Equipment
L2501 with loader and backhoe
Nov 13, 2022
Don't expect honey your first year. Also they won't work the honey frames until the brood frames are drawn and full. Leave them off until the brood box has 3/4 full. Then spray the honey frames with sugar water to get them to start working them.
When you get your bees Feed, Feed & Feed them 1-1 sugar water until they stop taking it. They will draw the wax out faster.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Both mine are female on the tractor side...makes no difference in functionality. A few colored zip ties to mark hoses and you never hook it up backwards.
Yeah, the colored zip ties are good, until they fall off. Ain't NO WAY to hook 'em up backward if the fittings are pointed in the direction to close the grapple (female on the head end lines of the cylinders, male on the rod end line). I don't even have to look for a color, it simply won't fit wrong. I like things as stoopid proof as I can make them, because sometimes, I get that stoopid infection and break things.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
View attachment 101372

cleaned up the strawberry patch
Holy Moly, the leaves on those strawberries are HUGE. Waddayado to keep the berries from rotting? Our plants are on their second year now, and seem to be a little more likely to give us some berries. Up to now, every one we plant seems to bloom well, make berries, but just about the time they 'pink' up and start to ripen, they rot and mold. We 've tried mulch under 'em, landscape cloth, you name it. Nothing seems to work. But somewhere, one of us read that the berries rotting on the first year's crop is not uncommon. You have any issue first year? Our soil leaves some to be desired (hard clay) but we put in some raised beds with pine compost in it, and while the plants tried to take over the entire back yard, I don't think we got 5 edible berries last year. We've fertilized them with Miracle Grow this year, so now you can't even see the planter under the foliage. We left the landscape cloth in just to limit the growth a little, because they seem determined to take over the planet, let alone the planter. Good work teaching the kids young about a little hard manual labor, and the rewards of doing some things by hand.

calibdovah

Equipment
L3410 GST
Nov 1, 2022
Louisiana,USA
replaced the stock starter with a starter from a reefer unit gen-set, repaired the positive connection going to the starter(the end was melted), and added a ground wire to run to where the starter mounts to the tractor. That gen-set starter is a real beast when turning the engine over. it puts the stock starter to shame. It bolts up the same but the starter motor is slightly larger. model number is 18144n.

Bee-Positive

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 16, 2022
Amsterdam, NY
That has to be the prettiest functional beehive I’ve ever seen.

The pile of boxes of my father’s we recently gave away: those were all painted with paint off the mis-mix bargain shelf. Only requirement to be a light color. When all the boxes were mixed up and put together they were not aesthetically pleasing in any way whatsoever.

Yours is more like artful painting on a piece of furniture. Very nice!
I remember my first year keeping bees, all pretty newly paint hives. Even got 70 lbs. honey from 2 hives. You should see them now, some repaired, some structurally sound but all need repainting. Just remember to strap them tight if you ever have to move them with the tractor. Pair of forks come in handy for putting hives into the truck bed.
BTW - Hoot Owls advice is spot-on.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Holy Moly, the leaves on those strawberries are HUGE. Waddayado to keep the berries from rotting? Our plants are on their second year now, and seem to be a little more likely to give us some berries. Up to now, every one we plant seems to bloom well, make berries, but just about the time they 'pink' up and start to ripen, they rot and mold. We 've tried mulch under 'em, landscape cloth, you name it. Nothing seems to work. But somewhere, one of us read that the berries rotting on the first year's crop is not uncommon. You have any issue first year? Our soil leaves some to be desired (hard clay) but we put in some raised beds with pine compost in it, and while the plants tried to take over the entire back yard, I don't think we got 5 edible berries last year. We've fertilized them with Miracle Grow this year, so now you can't even see the planter under the foliage. We left the landscape cloth in just to limit the growth a little, because they seem determined to take over the planet, let alone the planter. Good work teaching the kids young about a little hard manual labor, and the rewards of doing some things by hand.
We got the same soil over here (and I’m still trying to figure it out đŸ˜‚). These are first year berries and the first year I have tried them in the ground, have tried in containers before and have never had any luck. Right or wrong, this is what I did before planting…soil ph was really high (cheapo tester from Home Depot or lowes) , after I tilled it I sprayed it with some soil acidifier and let it sit a couple weeks, then just put some 13-13-13 down, tilled it again and used the bedder to make the rows. For mulch we are just using pine needles and leaves, that’s what kids are laying down. We just go to the timber and rake it up. Haven’t had any rotting yet, kids have already gotten a dozen or so berries off them so far.

edit to add: also been using neem oil to keep the bugs from eating them

Last edited:

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Not today, but the last few (weeks), I installed a hydraulic top link on the M4050. The one that came with the tractor didn't extend enough for the rear discs to be level, and the convenience is nice also. The 4050 has been getting a workout, 2 acres of new food plots were brush hogged followed by dragging a Dearborn cultivator thru them. Found the cultivator 'stored'/buried on the farm and revived it. It's come in pretty handy so far. Amazing that a piece of equipment that is 50+ years old and has been sitting idle sinking into the earth could still be used and rehabbed. Some penetrating oil and a breaker bar and the nuts & bolts are still workable. A couple weekends ago I cut an acre of 5'-7' briars to reclaim for pumpkins and sunflowers. Got that disced this past weekend. Also dug out some buried rocks in the new food plots with the B7100 and hauled a few loads of those rocks to a sink hole that developed over winter. Been a busy late winter early spring.

Reactions: 2 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Running to my dealer to grab a new loader frame mount this afternoon. Luckily they have a few crated LA535s sitting outside so I don't have to wait weeks for a replacement part. Service advisor said this is the first time he's ever seen this upside down mounting bracket issue. I am going to see if I can call the Kubota regional rep to see if they can reimburse me for my time or gas at the very least (probably a long shot) but I am not happy buying a 25k machine and having to waste a bunch of time fixing Kubota's issues.

Reactions: 6 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Running to my dealer to grab a new loader frame mount this afternoon. Luckily they have a few crated LA535s sitting outside so I don't have to wait weeks for a replacement part.
That's good news. Hopefully they'll kick in something for your troubles.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Running to my dealer to grab a new loader frame mount this afternoon. Luckily they have a few crated LA535s sitting outside so I don't have to wait weeks for a replacement part. Service advisor said this is the first time he's ever seen this upside down mounting bracket issue. I am going to see if I can call the Kubota regional rep to see if they can reimburse me for my time or gas at the very least (probably a long shot) but I am not happy buying a 25k machine and having to waste a bunch of time fixing Kubota's issues.
I know it is futile figuring out how it could have happened but it would be interesting to see if that bracket could be put in upside down in the weld fixture. It is almost like it was done on purpose , for what ever reason, upset employee, April fools joke, to see if the quality control people were doing their job etc. How it got past the inspectors, cleaners, paint shop is crazy.

I am glad it's being resolved for you.