What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I've had an eventful week. Went to the farm Wed with a list to do. Thur am saw a cousin I haven't seen in 30 years out bushhogging some of his sister's inheritance. He showed me his place and I was showing him mine. One of my main trees had a big tree down across it, so that was first task, not on the list. I sawed on it until a hummingbird came by check on me, so I quit and started bushhogging trail. About 6, the Ford's steering cylinder blew out, so that was the second unscheduled task.

Friday, I drove 30 miles to a hydraulic shop. Mr. Mapp overhauled my cylinder for half what the dealer wanted for the kit, which they didn't stock. When I walked in Mapp's, the counter was covered/stacked with carburetors. I found out later, he's a long-time circle track racer and locally known as a carburetor whiz.

Anyway, got the cylinder back on and mowed my sister's pasture.

I was going to take Katy (Kubota) out this morning early to finish clearing the tree fall. Katy decided that she needed a new battery (it looked like crap 3 years ago when I bought it, so no real surprise), so it was off to NAPA we go. I did get the tree cleared and my trails cut, but it was in the hot part of the day. Actually, for this area, it was as nice a day as we get in August, low humidity. A doe snuck up behind me and snorted, scaring the bejeepers out of me. And I heard the hummingbird, but never got more than a glance.

Overall, it's been interesting. As usual, lots of unplanned stuff, but I got some useful work done. I've seen deer (including one smart doe leading her fawn around the field I was cutting), a hummingbird without a blooming plant around, a juvenile praying mantis, and more turkeys than I've seen before at one time, four hens and at least 20 chicks.

BTW, is this ash tree leaves? They're narrower than what I usually see on what I think are ash trees
IMG_20220813_132824775.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I've had an eventful week. Went to the farm Wed with a list to do. Thur am saw a cousin I haven't seen in 30 years out bushhogging some of his sister's inheritance. He showed me his place and I was showing him mine. One of my main trees had a big tree down across it, so that was first task, not on the list. I sawed on it until a hummingbird came by check on me, so I quit and started bushhogging trail. About 6, the Ford's steering cylinder blew out, so that was the second unscheduled task.

Friday, I drove 30 miles to a hydraulic shop. Mr. Mapp overhauled my cylinder for half what the dealer wanted for the kit, which they didn't stock. When I walked in Mapp's, the counter was covered/stacked with carburetors. I found out later, he's a long-time circle track racer and locally known as a carburetor whiz.

Anyway, got the cylinder back on and mowed my sister's pasture.

I was going to take Katy (Kubota) out this morning early to finish clearing the tree fall. Katy decided that she needed a new battery (it looked like crap 3 years ago when I bought it, so no real surprise), so it was off to NAPA we go. I did get the tree cleared and my trails cut, but it was in the hot part of the day. Actually, for this area, it was as nice a day as we get in August, low humidity. A doe snuck up behind me and snorted, scaring the bejeepers out of me. And I heard the hummingbird, but never got more than a glance.

Overall, it's been interesting. As usual, lots of unplanned stuff, but I got some useful work done. I've seen deer (including one smart doe leading her fawn around the field I was cutting), a hummingbird without a blooming plant around, a juvenile praying mantis, and more turkeys than I've seen before at one time, four hens and at least 20 chicks.

BTW, is this ash tree leaves? They're narrower than what I usually see on what I think are ash trees
View attachment 85281
Good morning…that’s a hell of a week for sure that you shared with us…regarding your question on the tree leaves there, I am not for sure from the pic. I’d recommend you get the free app called ‘seek’ (I believe it is from inaturalist) It will identify just about any plant or animal…it’s free so not out much. It’s a little more difficult to get a good pic/scan on moving animals and or be close enough but for trees and leaves it’s pretty simple. For leaves sometimes you just have to get the light just right or the distance.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Ran the chipper for 1.4 hours yesterday cleaning up a top that got blown out of a tree the other day in a wind storm. When it gets colder I will buck and split the logs for firewood. At least I got the paths cleared of all the limbs.

chipping_2022.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Good morning…that’s a hell of a week for sure that you shared with us…regarding your question on the tree leaves there, I am not for sure from the pic. I’d recommend you get the free app called ‘seek’ (I believe it is from inaturalist) It will identify just about any plant or animal…it’s free so not out much. It’s a little more difficult to get a good pic/scan on moving animals and or be close enough but for trees and leaves it’s pretty simple. For leaves sometimes you just have to get the light just right or the distance.
I'll try that. I had downloaded LeafSnap. It worked great on a couple of plants in my sister's house where I had wifi, but out in the woods it didn't work, even though I had a data connection.

Reactions: 1 user

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
It looked huge in your truck at the gas station! Bet you never heard that before! :LOL: Looks a lot smaller from this angle. Very nice though.
Ha!

I had to remove the in/out chutes to sling it out of the truck without damaging it or the truck so that’s about 1/2 the height. Should have time to cut the PTO shaft and test it out today. 😬

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The easiest and safest way to unload something like that is to raise it a couple of inches and drive the truck out from under neath it.

Reactions: 2 users

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Got the PTO shaft cut and took it for a short test run. I had a few fitting leaks that were easy enough to snug up but other than that it ran perfect and exceeded my expectations. I was a bit concerned that it has the angled chute vs. the flat chute……that was silly of me. Very nice to just drop material in and not have to push it in until it’s grabbed by the drive.

After about 1/2 an hour I have to move on to some dog shenanigans, cutting the grass and if I have time putting skid shoes on my new rear blade. Not bad chip production for 30 minutes including tweaks and being a novice.

B7E05B89-E31D-4AF3-A93E-A80CB75A4F1E.jpeg
A0DFADDC-1069-4AE5-97A2-4C0744667072.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Finished box blading in the woods and picked up all the old roots and junk that was there. Moved a bunch of dirt from high spots in the woods over to the side of the house that needed grading/filling after removing 5-6 cedars that were in the way a few weeks back. The topsoil I brought over from the woods is in pretty good shape, I think I'll take it during the week and put some seed down. I'm starting to finally get the hang of this box blade 😁

Feels good to know we can finally use our woods for something, it's come a long ways.

PXL_20220814_185910627~2.jpg

PXL_20220814_185917997.jpg
PXL_20220814_185925780.jpg
PXL_20220814_200407858.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I started the day by moving a couple of yards of 2" river run stone to the last 'soon to be bed'. It on the north side of the house. When the lawnmower genius uses his weed wacker to trim the edge of the grass he manages to hit the coil fins in the ac units. The bed will extend out 18" from the condensing units. He will really have to try when its done.
north stones.JPG

Then it was time to do something productive - start the repair of the camera lines I inadvertently pulled up months ago.

Not having a backhoe it was the stump bucket to the rescue. I ripped out just over a 10' section of pvc conduit. That was laying on the ground. The broken mating half was still buried but the wires were above ground.
exposing pipe end 2.jpg

exposed wire end.JPG

exposing wire end.jpg

After the trench was dug I pulled the new wires to the tree in the background below - using the broken wire as a snake. There was water that had gotten into that pipe and that wire STUNK.

new wire pulled wire side.jpg

The rock is being used to hold down the pipe (it has a bend built into it now, but not a kink).

Next I have to pull the new wire back to the next tree - also using the broken wire as a snake. Not having 'wire pulling grease', I used teflon spray lubricant on the wires.

It was a 4 hour experience but a lot less than using a shovel

Reactions: 6 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
It was a 4 hour experience but a lot less than using a shovel
I have a very similar stump bucket from Titan Attachments (not to be confused with Titan Implements which is now IronClad). It does work well for trenching, as long as you don't need to go too deep. What I don't like about it is that the SSQA plate on it sticks out well below the bottom of the bucket which makes the curl knuckles drag before the bucket is level or even pointed upward slightly, which is why it can't be used to skim and clean the bottom of a trench. All the work is done by the point, which is a long way from the curl pivots. My LX2610SU runs out of hydraulics pretty quick when pulling up with the point to use the teeth for ripping roots off. With the standard bucket, curling up under something that won't move will lift the back end of the tractor even with the tires loaded and the box blade on, but the length of the stump bucket robs some of the functionality I was looking for. It just stalls because of the length. But I can dig a BIG hole really quick with it. It makes a great shovel. Overall, it does as much as I expected considering it's a specialized tool. I know better than to even think about back-dragging with that bucket. That's blown seals or bent cylinders waiting to happen.

When you dig a trench like that, do you start at the far end and work your way backward so that you're actually using it like a shovel? I have some drainage that I want to do with mine and make the trenches for some Hügelkultur beds. A big portion of my lot has burrows and dens and underground erosion. Trying to correct some 50-year-old sins left behind by the builders.

BadAndy

Equipment
BX23s TLB-BX2822A Snow blower-LP BB-HLA Forks-Craftsman YT4000 Lawn Tractor
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Trenching for drain pipes...
IMG_2926.jpg
IMG_2927.jpg

Last edited:

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Finished box blading in the woods and picked up all the old roots and junk that was there. Moved a bunch of dirt from high spots in the woods over to the side of the house that needed grading/filling after removing 5-6 cedars that were in the way a few weeks back. The topsoil I brought over from the woods is in pretty good shape, I think I'll take it during the week and put some seed down. I'm starting to finally get the hang of this box blade 😁

Feels good to know we can finally use our woods for something, it's come a long ways.

View attachment 85311
View attachment 85312 View attachment 85314 View attachment 85315
Nice job 🫡

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Looks like some fun digging in all that rock.
Actually my first time really digging on the property and I thought it was going to be worse than it was, its a very rocky piece of land as you can see from the granit rock face. the side of that large hill was blown out to fit the house in.

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Thanks! It's been a fun project for the last few months on and off.

Trenching looks good, I wish I had a backhoe 😭
I am sooo glad I got the backhoe version, I use it a lot on my rolling property, may not need it as much on flat land. Now I don't think I could go without one.