What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I almost got one last year. Really shook me up. He ran over to the edge of the field and layed back down. The grass wasn't very heavy. I think I mistook him for a fireant mound.
They have such good camouflage and are taught to lay still when a threat is close by. I'm picking up a rock bucket this morning and I'll be sliding that thing along the deck when I'm cutting. Hopefully the bucket in combination with a slow ground speed and paying attention to what I'm doing will prevent anything awful from happening.

Last edited:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Had a persimmon tree in our back yard that started having problems suddenly a couple years ago. Think it was probably hit by lightning but not sure as no external evidence. It came back partially for a while but this spring pretty obvious it’s done for. Not a big tree, but tall and house is well within range. A rather hefty 120’ bull rope and the L helped convince it to come on down in the right direction. Grapple was useful for taking 7’ sections two at a time to the woodlot for further processing and taking the small amount of brush to the brush pile for chipping.

The rope wasn’t really necessary but I don’t cut a high volume of trees any more so I’m in no hurry and prefer to be a bit overly cautious at times. View attachment 60319 View attachment 60320 View attachment 60321
I've never seen persimmon get that tall. Used to bump the one in our pasture with the Jeep after they got ripe enough to fall, and the horses would come running. Never cared for them, possibly because my older step brother tricked me into eating one before it was fully ripe. Can't spit that out. Kinda rough plowing with the old mare the next day, though. She was more jet/rocket propelled than leg propelled after a good snack under the persimmon tree. You think getting a little soot on your FEL is bad with a Kubota, wait till you get persimmon enhanced flatulence in your face when plowing with a horse.

Got a couple around here, but I cut two in my front yard that never would bear fruit. They weren't big, and never would be because lightning blew the tops out of them years ago. I think they were 'male' trees anyway, because they never had fruit on them. Persimmon's one of those species that will not bear without a matching tree nearby for pollination. They apparently cannot pollinate from blooms on the same tree. Some of them never bear. Most peculiar tree, Persimmon.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Rained all day, no tractoring. But made 10 gallons of pale ale!
A man of similar priorities!! Gotta love it. Just bottled a batch of Blue Moon knock-off (called Rapier Wit), and brewed another batch. Easy to do in one day with Rapier Wit because there are no adjunct grains to steep. Knocks a couple hours out of the brew time. Less stuff to clean up, etc. Got a few on the shelf now, but learning more and more about yeasts and all the fun stuff that goes with that.

Came up for air after about 10 days non-stop on the new shed. Got all the wall bones up, and have all the parts for the roof bones done (except the ones I shorted myself on lumber for). Was supposed to rain today, so I bottled and brewed beer instead of building on the shed. Hoping to have the roof bones up, walls squared/straight/plumb by next weekend, and doors and sheet metal for the roof on the way. Still struggling with the decision about the siding. Don't particularly want metal siding (or roof for that matter), but the cost for sheathing to put vinyl siding on is stoopid high right now. Need to get this thing completed so I can move all the stuff in the garage out there, and put me a brewing kitchen down there.

Got the retirement hobbies picked. Tractorin' and brewin'.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Noted that there are no zerk fittings on the rear lift top link, contrary to the owners manual.
Interesting. There are on mine. just got it in November.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
So, there's a song by the Sandals called "6-pack" that I have on a USB stick in the stereo on my LX2610. Started the engine this morning, and was letting it warm a little. Suddenly, this song comes on, with "pssst - pssst - pssst - pssst - pssst - pssst". I panicked, thinking Oh Crap - I've got a big hydraulic leak somewhere, and then the rest of the song started. I looked around, just to make sure that no one was watching!
This kinda reminds me of a trip back home from upstate NY back in 1982. I was towing my old VW with a '76 Mercury Monarch. I got highway hypnosis somewhere in southern Virginia after departing Harrisburg, PA (running from snow). As we crossed the Tennessee line, my eyes wandered to the rear view mirror, at which point I screamed "He's gonna hit us!!!!" About the same time I realized I could not take that back, I was also realizing that I recognized the car and that there was no driver. Just my belongings in the car. The ex-Missus stared at me for a long while after my exclamation woke our 1 year old daughter who was NOT impressed with Daddy falling off in the deep end.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I've never seen persimmon get that tall. Used to bump the one in our pasture with the Jeep after they got ripe enough to fall, and the horses would come running. Never cared for them, possibly because my older step brother tricked me into eating one before it was fully ripe. Can't spit that out. Kinda rough plowing with the old mare the next day, though. She was more jet/rocket propelled than leg propelled after a good snack under the persimmon tree. You think getting a little soot on your FEL is bad with a Kubota, wait till you get persimmon enhanced flatulence in your face when plowing with a horse.

Got a couple around here, but I cut two in my front yard that never would bear fruit. They weren't big, and never would be because lightning blew the tops out of them years ago. I think they were 'male' trees anyway, because they never had fruit on them. Persimmon's one of those species that will not bear without a matching tree nearby for pollination. They apparently cannot pollinate from blooms on the same tree. Some of them never bear. Most peculiar tree, Persimmon.
Yes, I have only seen one other get that tall, and like that one, it is in a stand of mature hardwoods so the height was necessary to reach the light. We cleared the lot 25 years ago and wanted to preserve it because it’s a male and we have a female in a field nearby. We’re hoping the other large male we have in the wooded part of the lot a bit further away will be sufficient to pollinate the female as we can usually get enough off the female for at least a couple of persimmon puddings each year.

When we first moved there, my then city girl wife didn’t understand the need to harvest persimmons mostly from the ground after the first frost. I convinced her to try one pre-frost if she thought it looked ready for harvest. She understood after that. I saw the humor in it. She did not.

And I thought plowing with a 9N was bad enough. I’m thankful to have avoided the horse/mule experience.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
And I thought plowing with a 9N was bad enough. I’m thankful to have avoided the horse/mule experience.
Brings a whole new meaning to gassing up.

• Haha

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
A man of similar priorities!! Gotta love it. Just bottled a batch of Blue Moon knock-off (called Rapier Wit), and brewed another batch. Easy to do in one day with Rapier Wit because there are no adjunct grains to steep. Knocks a couple hours out of the brew time. Less stuff to clean up, etc. Got a few on the shelf now, but learning more and more about yeasts and all the fun stuff that goes with that.

Came up for air after about 10 days non-stop on the new shed. Got all the wall bones up, and have all the parts for the roof bones done (except the ones I shorted myself on lumber for). Was supposed to rain today, so I bottled and brewed beer instead of building on the shed. Hoping to have the roof bones up, walls squared/straight/plumb by next weekend, and doors and sheet metal for the roof on the way. Still struggling with the decision about the siding. Don't particularly want metal siding (or roof for that matter), but the cost for sheathing to put vinyl siding on is stoopid high right now. Need to get this thing completed so I can move all the stuff in the garage out there, and put me a brewing kitchen down there.

Got the retirement hobbies picked. Tractorin' and brewin'.
I will be your taste test dummy.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Yesterday mowed off site 2nd time this year. Yesterday wore winter coat , gloves and stocking hat just like first time this year. Oh and on and off sprinkles added to the fun. Froze out and went home incomplete.

Reactions: 1 users

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Well, on Wednesday I spread 6 yards of fill dirt in the hope of reducing the puddling on my side yard. It was the first time I used the bucket to move/spread dirt. I only filled the holes that would hold water for months and some would end up with not only mosquito larvae and tadpoles but even fish also. I think that the times the county would bring minnows for mosquito control, there were eggs left behind would hatch when there is water again.
Moving the dirt was a different and somewhat scary experience since how steep it feels coming of the driveway into the dirt and holes. However, spreading the dirt by back dragging the bucket was awesome. It worked much better than I expected. Now, lets wait for the rain this weekend and see what happens.
IMG_20210526_180737.jpg
IMG_20210526_180732.jpg
IMG_20210526_180635.jpg
IMG_20210526_092613.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Mowed 13 acres of grass today 4 of those acres were 12-14" so it was slow going. It will take a few trips to get it looking decent.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Wife dug a couple tree stumps out. Dug one hole a little deeper to turn stump upside down and bury it
20210529_161532.jpg
20210529_162004.jpg

• Love

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Moved the B7100 to my land , lubed and checked the brush cutter. Knocked down some cool season grasses and weeds in the rifle range unit and some of my two track.

20210529_142733.JPG

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Cleaned the deck after the 12 plus acres of grass I mowed yesterday. That rear finish mower @GPOutdoors had is his video yesterday is looking very appealing to crawling under this MMM.

20210530_143422.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
It's been a busy 3 rainy / cold days for me. Today I cleaned up the hoses on my new Fitrite TNT and replaced 2 couplers. Yesterday (in order to be able to check up on the latest OTT news) I replaced the water cooler for my computer as the pump had failed. No cooling, no play with computer :(

Just a note on Brian at Fitrite. I admit I don't know much about hydraulics but Brian's handholding and education were worth the price of admission.

I ended up using his quick attach ball top link.

top n tilt finished.jpg

tnt side view finished.jpg

and Brian's 3 valve set. The third valve will be used for my soon to be coming grapple.

control valves.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Seppe906

Equipment
LX2610 ROPS with LA535 FEL, BH77, 60" MMM
Mar 27, 2021
UP Michigan
Dug up some stumps at the cottage, this was my first backhoe job and was a lot of fun!
A6723385-1AB2-4118-80CA-D6FCC3FA9238.jpeg
F9C6B651-7C1F-4836-99CF-0DFFA282779E.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
It was time to do my yearly wash of the tractor and inspection. Went around checking nuts/bolts making sure they were properly torqued. All tires and loader assembly was good, which was nice to see. Repaired a gasket on the hood. Found a bracket under the tractor that holds hydraulic lines up was loose. Got that tightened up. Did the greasing of everyplace that I could find that needed grease. All fluid levels checked, the only thing low was windshield wiper fluid.

Hauled it back to the farm and did some mowing. After reading several post talking about different ones running over fawns, I was being extra careful today, didn't want to add my name to the list. Did a nice walk around before starting and was watching careful. Was backing into some high grass/weed along a washout, then heard a God awful sound and smacking around under the mower and I knew what i had just did.

I pulled forward, turned off the tractor, took off the sun glasses, and didn't want to get out of the cab, but I knew I couldn't leave it there suffering. I crawled out of the cab, pulled out my pistol and started walking to the back, figuring most likely it would be chopped to pieces, but if it wasn't dead, I wasn't going to let it suffer.

Got to spot, sure enough, sliced all up......................an old tire. Talk about being relieved.

I was sure I had joined the fawn killer club, but was so happy that it was just an old tire.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users