What are we (OK, some of us) becoming????

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Fair enough point!

Been here 65 years next week and witnessed a lot of change, mostly bad. Where we are is way out in the sticks so things are still good. The aggressive stupidity of most in this state seems to be spreading though.
1705346479600.png

Reactions: 2 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
The word that comes to mind is soft. Every generation gets a little (or lot) more soft. The story goes that my grandfather in Norway would roe his boat seven miles to date my grandmother.
I've seen pictures and some of those old Norsemen grew horns. When I was sixteen I walked 5 miles to see a girl but evidently she felt so sorry for me she had told her dad about my problems.😲 He told me at the end of a shotgun to take my problems some place else. That taught me I shouldn't lay it on so thick.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
It was 15 degrees in central Alabama this morning. The governor declared a state of emergency yesterday ahead of the blizzard (0-4in of snow across the state.). I rolled out my snowblower and pointed it north to ward off the snow gods. It worked. We only got a dusting of ice here. 🤣

I'll admit, I have gotten soft. I put on an overcoat to go out to feed the horses this morning. i needed a hat too as I have become follically challenged.

In fairness to the state, it doesn't get much snow. Towns have little to no capacity for snow and ice removal. Several highways became impassible and were shutdown overnight.

How A Southern Weatherman Really Makes Money

Reactions: 1 user

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
It's common knowledge you are better off with a warm hat than warm trousers but many people don't know good old fashion wool beat's other insulations when wet. If you ever wore wool long johns long enough to become accustom to the itching you can understand why old timers didn't take theirs off when they took annual baths.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
A few years ago, there was a pretty decent nor'easter that dumped 14" across the Mid Atlantic. Some friends and I decided to go snowboarding in PA because the conditions were phenomenal for the east coast. About jalf way there, we heard on the radio that they were closing due to the weather. I couldn't believe a ski resort would close because it snowed!

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
It was -22F with a wind chill pushing -45 it was a little bone chilling!
Things froze up all over the place around here!
We get our share of it in central Maine but hasn't been bad so far. Near 0 later this week.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When I was a kid, I wore wool pants to school. I walked there and back no matter how cold it was. Unfortunately for me, I was allergic to the wool, and my legs would break out in a rash. My mother resolved the issue by lining all my pants with satin fabric so they wouldn't rub and I never had the problem again. The wool of the 1930s & 1940s is no longer used, and the wool that is used today is much softer.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
When I was a kid, I wore wool pants to school. I walked there and back no matter how cold it was. Unfortunately for me, I was allergic to the wool, and my legs would break out in a rash. My mother resolved the issue by lining all my pants with satin fabric so they wouldn't rub and I never had the problem again. The wool of the 1930s & 1940s is no longer used, and the wool that is used today is much softer.
God love them if we had half the ingenuity and resourcefulness of our moms we could fix tractors with a screwdriver and pliers in the dark.

• Love

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
When I was a kid, I wore wool pants to school. I walked there and back no matter how cold it was.
Now Mom drives the kid to the end of the 50 foot driveway and keeps the engine running till the bus comes. I noticed that the school near me doesn't allow the kids to walk there, a bus will leave the school, turn the corner and drop off kids that live in houses that are next door all the while stopping traffic in both directions.

tbk5

Equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Eight degrees this morning. I am adding long pants and a sweatshirt to the overcoat and hat to go feed.

In a bit of a worry mode waiting for the propane delivery today. I hope it doesn't get pushed back again. We are below 10% if the gauge is reading corrently. Using propane for heating is lame. I'll need to invesigate replacing the picturesque gas log fireplace with a pellet or wood insert.

Here is what we got to deal with yesterday. What happened to global warning??

Insane Drone Footage of Semis on Ice in Birmingham, Alabama

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Looking at 2 to 3 ft of snow over the next day or so up here. Just another day in The North Country .

• Wow

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Eight degrees this morning. I am adding long pants and a sweatshirt to the overcoat and hat to go feed.

In a bit of a worry mode waiting for the propane delivery today. I hope it doesn't get pushed back again. We are below 10% if the gauge is reading corrently. Using propane for heating is lame. I'll need to invesigate replacing the picturesque gas log fireplace with a pellet or wood insert.

10% remaining in propane tank isn't much. How long ago did you call to have tank filled?

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Never thought a few cold days would result in this news flash. PLEASE don't think that the majority of people from PA are really this screwed up. 20° is the average daily low temp for January in Lebanon PA.

When I was in Jr. High school my trapping partner and I would get up at 4:00 am
walk a mile or more in 20° or lower temps / check our traps/reset them sticking our hands in cold water....

then walk home/ skin a few and get ready for school..... and then walk to my buddys house across town and jump in his beat up van and drive to school.... smoking a J-Bone... :ROFLMAO:

go by any school these days, there is a traffic jam of kids being dropped off by their mommys....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Talking about wool clothing, back when I was a young man I bought a Woolrich hunting coat 100% wool. I have never worn anything that took the chill and blocked the wind like that coat did. And then one year 2nd day of deer a warm front came through and instead of snow we got rain, one of those all day light rains. And while I really didnt get cold so so speak, when I got back to camp I was worn out, couldnt figure out why, untill I took that coat off! That damn thing must have weighed 50 pounds, it took 3 days to dry out, and then shrunk.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I heat my house and shop with propane, I went from wood, then pellet to propane, would never consider going back.
The propane runs a 199,000 BTU Combi Boiler that is also our hot water.
I fill the tank in the fall, refill once in middle of winter then top off in the spring.
I won't have to do that once I put in my underground tank, one fill will last us all year with a margin of safety to boot.
It's cheaper, easier, cleaner, and less work to heat with propane, than wood or pellets.

You're complaint is your low on propane, well you'll have the same issue if you don't stock up on firewood or pellets.
Buying pellets is much cheaper in the summer, but you've got to have a dry place to store them till you need them, and loosing that much dry space is a killer for me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You really can't blame families for driving and dropping off kids at school, or waiting in their car to drop them off or pick them up from at bus stop.
There are far too many creeps out and about these days!
What was once a safe walk to school is now unsafe!

Last edited:

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
The news clowns have figured out they can get more people to watch if they sensationalize everything, including the weather. They're downright shamelessly lying. Day before yesterday two stations in the DC area announced the the next day would be the coldest in 5 years at low teens when in fact last year it was 7 degrees on Christmas eve.

tbk5

Equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
I heat my house and shop with propane, I went from wood, then pellet to propane, would never consider going back.
The propane runs a 199,000 BTU Combi Boiler that is also our hot water.
I fill the tank in the fall, refill once in middle of winter then top off in the spring.
I won't have to do that once I put in my underground tank, one fill will last us all year with a margin of safety to boot.
It's cheaper, easier, cleaner, and less work to heat with propane, than wood or pellets.

You're complaint is your low on propane, well you'll have the same issue if you don't stock up on firewood or pellets.
Buying pellets is much cheaper in the summer, but you've got to have a dry place to store them till you need them, and loosing that much dry space is a killer for me.
I had pellets when I lived in MA. Loved them. I would buy what I needed in the summner. I never ran out. The house was toasty warm all the time. Oil was my backup.

I intend to do the same here with wood pellets as a primary and propane as the backup.

I have had nothing but negative experiences with now my third propane company in five years. Using a pre-buy plan to get the best rate. The money outlay is no different than buying however many tons of pellets I need in the summer. With heating oil, I can always add diesel if the truck cannot get here. I have been waiting eights days since I requested the fill. I just want an honest answer about the delivery date, not constant excuses.