Well... It’s Finally A COLD DAY IN HELL. !!!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There’s a classic old poem “Hell In Texas” ... written by someone in a former-century when it was fun to make-fun about the best place to live in the world.... BUT... it finally got seriously COLD this week. The coldest I’d ever witnessed in my 70+ years here in central Tx was about 17-F...and that only rarely, maybe every 4 or 5 years.

In the past I’d read about the guys online here that discussed ad nauseam which Anti-Gel additive to use...and after the umpteenth discussion-thread on that subject I quit “clicking” on them in search of a more interesting topic. Diesel doesn’t “gel” until it gets colder than 15-F. Never thought I’d have to face the problem. :ROFLMAO: It’s Six-Degrees here right now and forecast to drop further tomorrow night.

I decided to go check on my water-well-house about 1/4 mile away before retiring last night and repaired pipe-insulation I’ve been ignoring for years. I also placed a milk-house heater out there and aimed it appropriately.... and immediately 6 baby field mice gathered around it ...No kidding! (I’ll give ‘em somthing to eat later today.). :devilish:
I gave my little RTV-X900 about 10 secs of GlowPlug and she fired right up... but she lives in a metal bldg where the interior is at 40-F. After a warm up, she drove around just fine on my two trips to the well-house and back for supplies.

Citizens and “Authorities” are all acting crazy over this... They are actually deliberately instituting “rolling blackouts” as a “Preventive Measure” to avoid excess energy use! (This is in an area that has 5 hydro-electric lakes, and a wholly-owned (Austin Energy) atomic energy plant down on the coast.... meanwhile warning citizens to be careful, stay warm, and look after the elderly.... while THEY reduce power. Doh).
Meanwhile, local television is making an announcement which they apparently believe is “News”.... Their statement is: “If you go out driving... You are on your own!”

Is that something new for anybody?
It seems a self-imposed idiocy is going around.

Meanwhile, I’ve got me generator fueled up and ready just in-case. The dog (a whiteGerman/Swiss Sheperd) won’t even go out in the 4” of snow. 😅

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
This made my day start off on the right foot Geo, thanks!!!
The daily high here today is climbing all the way up to about 5°f, I haven’t felt that warm in weeks! Weather Channel just had a story on that it takes the body about 10 days to get used to the cold. (I believe that).
This was driving to work the other the day. Ya it’s chilly, but ain’t ‘that’ bad :) Just put another log (white birch or pine cause that’s all we got!) on the fire!
I sure hope your water didn’t freeze, that’s a royal pain. Any issue with water getting into or out of the house has got to be the biggest most annoying first world problem of our time!
FF768B52-0091-4BF5-9C13-67CED37A6CE5.jpeg
I forgot to put my winter front on the car (VW tdi). Temp won’t stay up without higher rpm or the heater on a higher fan speed. Some think there’s an issue with my thermostat. Ha, nope.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Reils6531

Equipment
Bx2360
Jul 8, 2019
Upstate NY
Here in the frozen realm of upstate New York, what you call hell, we just call winter. And for those of you in points south, winter is not a 3 month period spanning from December 21st- March 20; it’s actually about 5 months, or maybe a little bit longer from just after Halloween until whenever the tulips and daffodils start popping up.

Last week we got about 16” of snow in 2 days. This week, we are expecting more...

I got up early today and was excited that it had warmed up. The thermometer read 21. Yesterday morning it was 6. Here in my living room it’s 68 and in my den by the woodstove it’s about 75. Compliments of the 10 cord of firewood I toil over every year. It’s a labor of love though and I wouldn’t heat any other way.

All of that said; and despite my usual winter time rants about snow and cold; our bad weather isn’t as bad as some people have it. I will take single digits and subzero nights, snowfall measured in feet, and miserable windchills over hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, drought or wild fire. I feel bad for you folks come summer when I see the weather man talking about triple digits and I am complaining about temperature in the 80s.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

L275

Equipment
L275F, L2850D, BF500 Loader, FS1020, M5-4 Cutter, 500 PostDigger, CRB60 Blade...
Jun 8, 2019
Naples, FL.
Wow, You guys made me feel better. I guess i shouldn't complain too much about the weather getting colder this week.
8 am, +73 f and climbing. Yikes! South Florida

Attachments

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
My first time ever in Florida was in 2007 at Blanding (not sure if I spelt it properly) with the Canadian army, we were using the NG maintenance bays I was a tech at the time. I went to use the bathroom and the sink was running, so I of course shut it off. sorry My US ranks are bad, in Canada it would be the MWO or ET who is the top NCM yelled out of his office “turn that f‘n tap back on”. So I go back and when I walked by his door he apologized for yelling at me, said he didn’t realize it was a Canadian that shut it off.. we had a fun chat about how the water pipes are not buried there. my well pipe to my house is 4’ under grade and last time I replaced it I used 4“ of 2’ wide insulation over the pipes., they will never freeze again.

Reactions: 2 users

L275

Equipment
L275F, L2850D, BF500 Loader, FS1020, M5-4 Cutter, 500 PostDigger, CRB60 Blade...
Jun 8, 2019
Naples, FL.
My first time ever in Florida was in 2007 at Blanding (not sure if I spelt it properly) with the Canadian army, we were using the NG maintenance bays I was a tech at the time. I went to use the bathroom and the sink was running, so I of course shut it off. sorry My US ranks are bad, in Canada it would be the MWO or ET who is the top NCM yelled out of his office “turn that f‘n tap back on”. So I go back and when I walked by his door he apologized for yelling at me, said he didn’t realize it was a Canadian that shut it off.. we had a fun chat about how the water pipes are not buried there. my well pipe to my house is 4’ under grade and last time I replaced it I used 4“ of 2’ wide insulation over the pipes., they will never freeze again.
Must be Camp Blanding in Starke, FL. Northern area near Jacksonvile, Nice area with colder winters though. :)

Codes have been changing with Hurricane damages in the state. North Florida has some houses with wood frame built on blocks off the ground with exposed pipes and colder winters.
Concrete Block Homes in South Florida do bury pipes under grade for building code but only a few inches also. Not too much cold weather with temps that low here.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It's currently 8⁰ F in Hell, Michigan.
You beat me to it! Was just going to check forecast for there!

We in mid mid Michigan are moving from days of really cold plus "nuisance" snows, defined as 1 or 2 inches at a time, not enough to be worth getting the tractor and snowblower out, but enough that the concrete walks will pack if you don't shovel, to "highly inconvenient" 5 to 9 inches tonight. Too much to ignore, and can't do chores unless you clean it up.

• Wow

L275

Equipment
Jun 8, 2019
Naples, FL.
This made my day start off on the right foot Geo, thanks!!!
The daily high here today is climbing all the way up to about 5°f, I haven’t felt that warm in weeks! Weather Channel just had a story on that it takes the body about 10 days to get used to the cold. (I believe that).
This was driving to work the other the day. Ya it’s chilly, but ain’t ‘that’ bad :) Just put another log (white birch or pine cause that’s all we got!) on the fire!
I sure hope your water didn’t freeze, that’s a royal pain. Any issue with water getting into or out of the house has got to be the biggest most annoying first world problem of our time! View attachment 54886 I forgot to put my winter front on the car (VW tdi). Temp won’t stay up without higher rpm or the heater on a higher fan speed. Some think there’s an issue with my thermostat. Ha, nope.
Glad to see that's 110 KM/H, at first glance i thought of 110 MPH with ice on the roads. Wow!

Last edited:
  • Haha

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Must be Camp Blanding in Starke, FL. Northern area near Jacksonvile, Nice area with colder winters though. :)

Codes have been changing with Hurricane damages in the state. North Florida has some houses with wood frame built on blocks off the ground with exposed pipes and colder winters.
Concrete Block Homes in South Florida do bury pipes under grade for building code but only a few inches also. Not too much cold weather with temps that low here.
yup! We went into Jacksonville to get supplies. Got a lot of funny looks while shopping at Walmart in Canadian arms camo lol. Went to the Daytona 500 and I was wearing jeans and a tshirt (had a sweatshirt with me). Guy sitting behind me had a parka torque and mittens on lol

• Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It's -2 at 8AM and snowing lightly. However it is going to warm up to +1.

George, I read somewhere that Davy Crockett said, "You can go to hell, I'm going to Texas"!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Geo. thought you'd appreciate this. This is a quoted paragraph from a cattle forum and the poster lives in central Tx. This was posted at 6:45 this morning.

"I've broke a windshield wiper off my truck. Finally got the door open by pouring coffee on the handle , holding it open while I pryed on the door with a hay hook. Poured coffee again on the keypad to my front gate opener. Had the foresight to know I was gonna have trouble with gate latches and locks so I took a propane torch, that worked ok. I've left all gates just wired for now. I've tried all the boots I own. Best I've come up with is a pair of my son's rubber boots, he's a couple sizes bigger with a half dozen socks on.
You northerner's help us out... we're fighting a unfamiliar enemy down here."

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Looks like you are getting a little too much of that global warming down there. No worries, it's just cold. Put on a Jacket, thats what most of us do in February.

• Haha

L275

Equipment
Jun 8, 2019
Naples, FL.
Looks like you are getting a little too much of that global warming down there. No worries, it's just cold. Put on a Jacket, thats what most of us do in February.
Global Warming and Cow flatulence, what a mess. 😂
I guess its time to start looking around for a store that sells jackets here. :D

• Haha

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
i like to do things in advance, even if it means wasting a bit of hay. on those cold days then i don't habe to turn a wheel :D

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
D2Cat... LOL... Yes, that was what Davy was quoted as saying..... Little did he realize what was going to happen down here to an illegal alien like HIM.... LOL

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
There’s a classic old poem “Hell In Texas” ... written by someone in a former-century when it was fun to make-fun about the best place to live in the world.... BUT... it finally got seriously COLD this week. The coldest I’d ever witnessed in my 70+ years here in central Tx was about 17-F...and that only rarely, maybe every 4 or 5 years.

In the past I’d read about the guys online here that discussed ad nauseam which Anti-Gel additive to use...and after the umpteenth discussion-thread on that subject I quit “clicking” on them in search of a more interesting topic. Diesel doesn’t “gel” until it gets colder than 15-F. Never thought I’d have to face the problem. :ROFLMAO: It’s Six-Degrees here right now and forecast to drop further tomorrow night.

I decided to go check on my water-well-house about 1/4 mile away before retiring last night and repaired pipe-insulation I’ve been ignoring for years. I also placed a milk-house heater out there and aimed it appropriately.... and immediately 6 baby field mice gathered around it ...No kidding! (I’ll give ‘em somthing to eat later today.). :devilish:
I gave my little RTV-X900 about 10 secs of GlowPlug and she fired right up... but she lives in a metal bldg where the interior is at 40-F. After a warm up, she drove around just fine on my two trips to the well-house and back for supplies.

Citizens and “Authorities” are all acting crazy over this... They are actually deliberately instituting “rolling blackouts” as a “Preventive Measure” to avoid excess energy use! (This is in an area that has 5 hydro-electric lakes, and a wholly-owned (Austin Energy) atomic energy plant down on the coast.... meanwhile warning citizens to be careful, stay warm, and look after the elderly.... while THEY reduce power. Doh).
Meanwhile, local television is making an announcement which they apparently believe is “News”.... Their statement is: “If you go out driving... You are on your own!”

Is that something new for anybody?
It seems a self-imposed idiocy is going around.

Meanwhile, I’ve got me generator fueled up and ready just in-case. The dog (a whiteGerman/Swiss Sheperd) won’t even go out in the 4” of snow. 😅
It took me three reads, but I concluded that 17-F means 17 degrees F, as compared to C. Where I come from 17F would be cold, but -17F would be really cold!

In Texan lingo, I suppose you would say 17-F is cold, but -17-F is really cold! :D

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well.... Let’s just say that in Central/South Texas it’s considered “eFFin’ COLD! :ROFLMAO:

You may have heard of a place down here on Lake Travis/Austin called “Hippie-Hollow”...??
Well.... you can BET they’re wearing CLOTHES TODAY! 😂 :ROFLMAO: 😅