Washing machine shot craps

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
As the title suggest I need a new washing machine so what’s you all’s favorite brand. By the way I don’t have $1000 to spend on the latest and greatest. Only three people in the house so just a basic reliable machine. Thanks for any input.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Get one of the 'old skool' units, aka 'top loader' version,with manual dials.
probably all made by the same company....
All the 'new style' front loaders have mold/seal problems, sooner than later.

Last one I bought ,used of course, of the next was $50 ( going price...), maybe 12-14 years ago.

Reactions: 1 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
As the title suggest I need a new washing machine so what’s you all’s favorite brand. By the way I don’t have $1000 to spend on the latest and greatest. Only three people in the house so just a basic reliable machine. Thanks for any input.
My opinion is that they are all cheap disposable junk. I would try to find an old one that appears to be in good condition. Failing that, just buy one with a real agitator. You have the right idea about selecting a basic model, most of the guts are the same regardless how much you spend.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My opinion is that they are all cheap disposable junk. I would try to find an old one that appears to be in good condition. Failing that, just buy one with a real agitator. You have the right idea about selecting a basic model, most of the guts are the same regardless how much you spend.
Couple years ago we had the same issue. Not sure I would want to buy used though.

We went to HD and maybe one place else, and the wife chose a basic model, that was a top loader. Still more exotic that what I would like, but that is life today.

The one we bought does not have an old fashioned agitator. BUT it still works fine.

Been a couple years. Cost was in the $500 range.

Agree that today these things are now disposable items. But still I would like to think they will last 10 years for the most part, unless one is unlucky. 2 down 8 to go here...LOL

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
I've had great luck with both LG and Maytag. We had a great set of Maytag washer/dryers but we moved and gave them to a neighbor. Replaced them with a set from LG at the new home. Very happy with them.

Hope you are able to find something you will enjoy. :)

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
F R I G I D A I R E !

My Frigidaire washer & dryer set are 22 years young and still going strong!

'Old school', top load with dials....Just like GJ said! (y)

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Exactly.. Cheaply made inside and out! I wish you could still get the old Kenmore, I think thats it! We give our late 80s model to my brother in law in 92 93 and he's still using it. Been through 3-4 sets since. I've always had good luck with Whirlpool so we just purchased the old dial type, works ok but the metal is so thin it's like handling an over size beer can.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
We have an LG top load no agitator. Does a good job and has been working well for the last seven years. Low water usage and does a good job. It replaced a front load Whirlpool that self destructed after 4 yrs

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Consider a decent USED machine. They cost FARRRR less than new and can last for many-many years.

Places to get used machines:
  • ReSource (they have stores all over the nation)
  • Private-sale
  • Some appliance dealers specialize in re-cycling used machines.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm not sure you can get a consumer washer with a real agitator anymore, due to energy/environmental regs. They're not made for people that really get their clothes dirty.

Speed Queen makes an old-fashion commercial washer, but it's somewhat over $1,000 now I think.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I used to go by consumer reports and reviews and try to buy whichever brand was the "best." Well after getting screwed with the "best" based on reviews I go cheap as I can and havent been disappointed yet. I prefer the top loader with agitator instead of the fancy lets not even get our clothes wet cause we use a thimble full of water. Right now I have an Amana and havent been disappointed. My wife and kids put it through its paces as well.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
The service tech that fixes our junk appliances says buy the cheapest one because they last the same length of time as the top of the line ones. My high end Whirlpool Duet washer failed just 2 months shy of its third birthday. Cost to repair exceeded 50% of new.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Look for an old Maytag. Mine is about 50 years old and still running well. Some parts are hard to come by, but so far not needed.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would recommend going with one with the old school agitator in the middle.

We went with a fancy top load that didn't have the center agitator.

We had to fight with it constantly when washing blankets. Washer ended up clapping out and springing a leak after about 3 years. I hated that washer. It wasn't a matter if the load would get unbalanced, it was a matter of when.

We went old school and cheap on the next one. Has the center agitator, and a lot less fighting with loads getting unbalanced. Can still wash a king sized blanket in it.

Believe it's a GE, and cost around $350 when we purchased it. Noticed they have gone up to around $500ish now.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Look for an old Maytag. Mine is about 50 years old and still running well. Some parts are hard to come by, but so far not needed.
Got us beat :)
We moved into this house in 1988. The original Maytag washer and drier still going.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Similar experience to others here. About 10 years ago, wife got a nice LG front loader she’d been wanting for some time. She had (mostly) silently hated it from beginning to end. It dumped water all over the floor at 10 years and I might could have fixed it but she was so thrilled there might be an excuse to replace it I declared it a total loss and chucked it out the door. She was almost giddy when we literally kicked it off the truck at the dump.

Got a high efficiency top loader, which was what she wanted. Then she hated that and the store agreed to take it back to swap for a basic old style machine two days later with the cost difference refunded on a store gift card. Was kind of surprised they took it back (I wouldn’t have) but now she’s happy so whatever.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
if you have any mechanical knowledge, they aren't too bad to repair them (if it's mechanical). If the board is bad, replace the board. That is, IF the parts aren't more expensive than a new warsher.

Maytag has a (I think) 10 yr warranty on the transmission, so if you have a maytag and the transmission is shot, a repair facility may be able to help you. Worth mentioning.

Yes to the top load. Mine was free, seal was leaking. I took the transmission out and put a seal kit in it-$13. Been great for the 11 years I've had it but it only gets used a couple times a week at the most. I live alone so laundry isn't a big deal.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought an LG front loading washer and dryer in November of 2011 that I still use and they've been flawless. When I bought this place in 2014 it came with an old Kenmore top loading washer and dryer. I took the dryer to dump but kept the washer and use it for the nasty stuff such as dog bedding, work clothes etc.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
There is still one fully US made brand that isn’t disposable junk: Speed Queen. They are made in Wisconsin with metal gears instead of nylon and the company boasts a 25 year average lifespan. We bought the basic top loader with dial gauge: no computer electronics to frizz out from a power surge. But you can only buy them at independent appliance dealers, not big box stores. They have a dealer locator on the website.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
There is still one fully US made brand that isn’t disposable junk: Speed Queen. They are made in Wisconsin with metal gears instead of nylon and the company boasts a 25 year average lifespan. We bought the basic top loader with dial gauge: no computer electronics to frizz out from a power surge. But you can only buy them at independent appliance dealers, not big box stores. They have a dealer locator on the website.
Thanks for posting.. that'll come in handy next time we need one. You're right I've never seen them at any stores..