Washing machine shot craps

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
We bought an Amana which is made by Whirlpool I believe and after 3 months it crapped out, just the actuator I believe and under warranty but a pain in the butt never the less. Repair guy will be here tomorrow and hopefully it was just a fluke. We should have stuck with LG because we had good luck with them but the price was right on the Amana and it had great reviews. Good luck with your decision.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks for posting.. that'll come in handy next time we need one. You're right I've never seen them at any stores..
We bought ours at a local independent appliance store. One other thing: Speed Queen makes almost all of the commercial units at laundromats.

Reactions: 1 user

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
The Maytag Commercial line from Lowes is excellent. Very good reviews.

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
Our Whirlpool belt drive top loader
washer recently went out the door.
Bearings on the way out , would squeal and squeak after a couple minutes on the spin cycle. In 10 years with it had replaced one belt, the idler pulley and an inlet valve. Glad to see it go plus it flooded over the top once making quite a mess. Junk.
Only had the new one a couple mos but seems to work well. Less manual settings but we are adjusting to it.
4.3 cu.ft. LG top loader from the HD. $700. Direct drive so will never have to change a belt oh what fun those were.
Its a crap shoot these days no matter how you look at it.
Best of luck with your pick of the litter.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Our Whirlpool belt drive top loader
washer recently went out the door.
Bearings on the way out , would squeal and squeak after a couple minutes on the spin cycle. In 10 years with it had replaced one belt, the idler pulley and an inlet valve. Glad to see it go plus it flooded over the top once making quite a mess. Junk.
Only had the new one a couple mos but seems to work well. Less manual settings but we are adjusting to it.
4.3 cu.ft. LG top loader from the HD. $700. Direct drive so will never have to change a belt oh what fun those were.
Its a crap shoot these days no matter how you look at it.
Best of luck with your pick of the litter.
We have the top load old style but new Whirlpool got it during start of Covid, almost from day one if it's on a certain setting mainly gentle mode or something like that.. it sqeals like a belt slipping or a bearing as soon as it starts the cycle. I can't tell what it is doing when it starts doing it. It's not the spin cycle.. does it within a minute of starting the load. Junk!

Got the extended warranty on it and have a feeling it's going to be used!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Go to Lowes or HD and check the scratch and dent area, the wife got a samsung that plays music when its done,, anyways it was about half price. Had scratch up one side, it is one of them low suds high efficiency things less water and all the stuff. And I know it was used and abused when her kids lived here and,,, knock on wood ,,, it is still washing

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Was thinking about this subject.

Concluded that just about anything we buy these days is a crap shoot!

Still, years ago I made a conscious choice to never buy extended warranties. Figured all I saved by declining them over the years would pay for one or two equipment repairs or replacements.

So far I am in the black.

Reactions: 1 users

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
Thought I would update some observations pros and cons about our new fangled LG top loader agitator direct drive style washing machine purchased at HD about 6 mos.ago.
I definitely preferred the manual machines of old but they are probably all going to be digital set and wash in the near future if they aren't already.

Cons: Once it starts you can't open the lid to throw some forgotten items in.
The door locks and can't be opened until its finished.
On normal cycle it doesn't fill with enough water to submerge all the clothing so clothing doesn't circulate very well . On the deep fill cycle it adds too much water for normal loads.
The machine weighs the contents at the start and adds water according to weight.
My solution to the normal cycle is soak a few articles of heavier clothing before throwing them in the machine. This tricks the machine into thinking its a heavier load and adds more water from the start.
Pros: Spin cycle works well in that it doesn't dance around on the floor.
Its relatively quiet.
FWIW

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Thought I would update some observations pros and cons about our new fangled LG top loader agitator direct drive style washing machine purchased at HD about 6 mos.ago.
I definitely preferred the manual machines of old but they are probably all going to be digital set and wash in the near future if they aren't already.

Cons: Once it starts you can't open the lid to throw some forgotten items in.
The door locks and can't be opened until its finished.
On normal cycle it doesn't fill with enough water to submerge all the clothing so clothing doesn't circulate very well . On the deep fill cycle it adds too much water for normal loads.
The machine weighs the contents at the start and adds water according to weight.
My solution to the normal cycle is soak a few articles of heavier clothing before throwing them in the machine. This tricks the machine into thinking its a heavier load and adds more water from the start.
Pros: Spin cycle works well in that it doesn't dance around on the floor.
Its relatively quiet.
FWIW
I have a 'fix' for the locking lid.
Assuming you have no children or idiots in the house. Unscrew the 'catch' from the lid. Put a grommet on the 'catch' and re-insert it into its' hole in the machine. The grommet holds it at the right height.
Now the machine will 'think' the lid is closed and you can open and close the lid as you like. Just be careful.
When the load is done, remove the 'catch ', empty the machine and put the 'catch' back in.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Not sure I would want to buy used though.
LOL... right?

What if the used one you get was formerly in service at the local Golden Chinese Fingers massage parlor?

It was refurbished, of course. Pump needed unclogged due to heroic amounts of.....