Status
Not open for further replies.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
For the expense of $25.37 for a replacement cable vs getting Kubota or dealer involved it it was my tractor if cable was determined the problem after more diagnostics had been performed I'd exchange cable. There is a serial break but I chose last part #. Due to the fact Messick's stocks this cable I'll make a WAG that this part has a history of prior failure.
Screenshot 2020-09-20 071333.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Well after my purchase I asked my dealer for the service manuals of the equipment purchased. Told him I didn't need a hard copy but would sure appreciate a digital copy and I'd bring in a flash drive. He asked for my email address and the copies were there the next day!

Since then I've brought him two confirmed sales (one used Kubota and one new). Both neighbors of mine. And I recommend them to anybody that asks me about what kind of tractor might fit their needs. Not sure if any of those have bought from this dealer or not. I know some have at least looked. I'd say that extra good will by the dealer towards me was pretty cheap advertising!
Exactly !!! Thank you.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
For the expense of $25.37 for a replacement cable vs getting Kubota or dealer involved it it was my tractor if cable was determined the problem after more diagnostics had been performed I'd exchange cable. There is a serial break but I chose last part #. Due to the fact Messick's stocks this cable I'll make a WAG that this part has a history of prior failure. View attachment 48590
Very true and I believe you would win your bet. Considering the price, it tells me all I need to know about the dealership. I like, and have used Messicks for several years. Thanks

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
ok here is the deal and you are warned--post might get long winded :)

Just 5 years ago, no problem, we (dealer service managers) could file for a pre-approval, and backdate the failure date, no problem to get it covered if it's within about 30 days of expiration date of your limited warranty

and on that note I am no longer a service manager I gave that job to someone else who "likes" doing that kind of thing, I don't get along that well with other people so I went back to wrenching, by myself, in the far back corner where I rarely see anyone but maybe a coworker and occasionally the boss when he chews my butt

Kubota's warranty system has DRASTICALLY CHANGED. Why? Because people like me were taking "too good" care of customers, using warranty to buy stuff that they didn't need to, and it cost them (kubota) a TON of money (Billions). Secondly the Kommanders cost them a ton of money too, and the changes they've made to the systems were a long time coming + the costs involved with stupid "warranty" repairs. 80% of "warranty" repairs aren't defects and that's what all manufacturers are trying to nip in the bud, getting really strict, now they are wanting fluid analyses, ecu data, wiring harness test data (from the DVOM), and now they can also see exactly how much time the technician spent on the repair via integration with the dealer's business systems. Real similar to automotive stuff. In doing this, it helps Kubota focus on building a better piece of equipment and helps the dealer weed out potentially fraudulent "warranties". The bad? Obviously it's a pain in the backside to deal with!!!

I mentioned the Kommanders, at one point the confidence program was still in effect, there were projected 133,000 Kommanders that got each over $1000 worth of updates done to them. Do the math. Likely ate up a good portion if not all (and then some) of the new profits on them. That doesnt' even count the actual defective "other" stuff, engines, decks, hst's, etc. You get the idea. Now we're looking at the hst bolt recall, also costs them a ton of money all because some moron on the assembly line forgot to properly torque 2 or 3 bolts (depending on the model). Thousands per tractor I don't know how many of them there are. DEF headers if fixing to be another big one as I understand. We are talking potentially billions of dollars that kubota's gotta eat recalls and warranty repairs are expensive. That said, think of warranty this way. You buy a piece of equipment for $20,000 (nice round number). A percentage of that goes to actual build cost, say $5000 just to throw a number out there. Another percentage goes to freight, then to crating costs--and a percentage is also allocated for warranty repairs, and that is actually a pretty low allocation. Don't know the actual percentages, but on a certain Yamaha machine, 6.3% of MSRP, or was at one time. With yamaha (at the time) when the warranty repairs exceeded the threshold, there was then a red flag. We had to call the RTAs and ask for approval if any repair was over a certain amount and if the total warranty repair bill over the life of the machine up til that point was over the threshold, they'd really grill you as to why. Sometimes deny repair and then you (the dealer) had to figure out how to either help the customer or not. Those customers who were "warranty abusers" were almost always automatically denied, you know, those guys who'd take their atv and run it through the river and then gripe about it smoking, bring it to us all cleaned up to "hide" the evidence....but factory training taught us what to look for and once we found it, it was automatically denied by yamaha. Nowdays, every single repair (all manufacturers I deal with including kubota) require digital pictures to be sent. Takes more time, costs more money, fills up a hard drive and takes up bandwidth.

Preapproval is gone. Now you have to file for "goodwill", and that usually means the repair cost is shared between 3 parties, the dealer, Kubota, and the owner. The cost of the repair would consist of the part, labor, tax, and freight (typically) and the process takes forever and a day to get the ball rolling because there's only a few warranty admins in DFW (I think that's where they are?) that handle the entire USA's kubota warranty issues. They used to be in DFW for our territory, spend many a day in there "learning"

So with goodwill, say if the flat labor rate is 1.0 hour (I don't know what it really is) plus a $26 tachometer cable plus $5.00 freight charge. At 100/hr that's $131. Split 3 ways that's what, $43 and change each, which costs you MORE than the cable does if u just buy it and install it yourself, plus it takes forever. Once the goodwill option is chosen it goes directly to the regional service rep who then reviews it. Remember the RSR also is driving halfway across the country to go look at a pushmower that the owner is griping about low power, or he could be going to look at a KX080 that has engine problems, those guys never stop (ever) rare to have a day off honestly. So you have to wait on them. You will have to wait on the warranty admins. You will have to wait for the dealer to submit all the information and pictures. It takes forever. I have seen it take a couple weeks, not counting shop backlog if they have any.

Basically, in a nutshell, if the warranty ended yesterday and your tachometer cable died today, go buy a tach cable and put it on yourself. Your warranty is expired. You had 2 years to buy extended warranty as well (as long as your reg warranty is good you can buy extended but once reg wty is gone, you can't buy extended).

now if you had a failed engine or some other big part, yeah it's worth looking into a little more but for a $26 cable it's hardly worth the hoops you have to jump thru

Reactions: 3 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Lugbot, you sound like Dennis who takes care of my M9's and if I have an issue, I call him on his cell phone or discuss it with him at the sportsmans club (we shoot together). he was the service manager at the dealership I deal with (and buy all my parts at) and he too, got tired of being the rubber ball and relegated himself to the back corner of the shop where he works on just Kubota's at his own pace. He's a dictionary of knowledge when it comes to Kubota tractors.

If I have a question, he always tells me straight up. No pussyfooting around. He's that way with guns too and he always beats me at 50 foot small bore pistol indoor comp.

Over the years, we have become good friends. I know his wife and kids and he knows mine. I never ask to be treated special either and if something breaks, I buy the part and fix it and if I cannot, he will make a farm call or they will pick up a unit and repair it and I get charged accordingly. I don't mind paying for it anyway. Repairs, like new implements are a write off anyway. Part of farming.

I've owned at least 10 Kubota tractors and I've only had 2 warranty issues, both with the M9HDCC3. One was a leaking right hand fuel tank which my dealer supplied under warranty and I installed myself (and returned the defective one) and one blown loader cylinder, also replaced under warranty and again I installed it and returned the defective one.

The sum total of all issues I've had, other than consumables of course and candidly, I consider a tach drive cable a borderline consumable item.

I don't think 30 bucks will bankrupt me or anyone else for that matter.

Last winter, Dennis had my 2002 M9 open station at the shop for most of the winter. I had him go through it and make sure everything was 'up to snuff'. He actually kept it inside, in his corner of the shop, all winter and used it for 'make work' when he was slow (wintertime is slow time at most farm orientated dealers anyway). Did a ton of stuff to it, valve adjustment, spray tested the injectors, new front main seal, work on the outboard bevel boxes and a bunch of other stuff. Cost me 3500 bucks but it was worth it knowing that it was 100% right. Dennis don't do anything half assed.

Said he pto dyoned it at 89 horses. I asked him if it blew smoke, he said it did........ :p

I might add that I really have no use for a Kubota shop manual. If I want to reference something in the shop manual. Dennis has a library of Kubota shop manuals and I can go look in his.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Lugbolt
IMHO any person that desires to be a dealer service manager doesn't have a brain that the elevator makes it to the "top floor". I served as a farm equip dealer SM for 13 yrs.

I heard complaints from customers because their tractor or equipment wasn't repaired in a timely manner or had a problem. The technicians complained because some of the other techs got preferential treatment/easier tasks & in truth some techs were incompetent. The owner complained because the shop wasn't generating enough income & tech's were wasting too much time.

One of the best days of my life when i was a SM is when my employer called me in his office & told me he had decided he was paying me too much & was going to cut my salary. I told him fine that he could just cut it 100% & I walked out the door. I've been custom farming/baling hay ever since.

Reactions: 2 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Lugbolt
IMHO any person that desires to be a dealer service manager doesn't have a brain that the elevator makes it to the "top floor". I served as a farm equip dealer SM for 13 yrs.

I heard complaints from customers because their tractor or equipment wasn't repaired in a timely manner or had a problem. The technicians complained because some of the other techs got preferential treatment/easier tasks & in truth some techs were incompetent. The owner complained because the shop wasn't generating enough income & tech's were wasting too much time.

One of the best days of my life when i was a SM is when my employer called me in his office & told me he had decided he was paying me too much & was going to cut my salary. I told him fine that he could just cut it 100% & I walked out the door. I've been custom farming/baling hay ever since.
My motto is.... 'Farm until you go broke'........... (y)

Glad my wife comes from a wealthy family. She supports me in the style I'm accustomed to (and I kiss her behind every day).

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
For something minor like this and the short time since expiration your dealer should go to bat for you with Kubota. Your not asking for an engine rebuild Not everyone uses these everyday and weeks could go by in between. If they didn't make it right for me it would make me seriously consider the other brands next time. My .02 cents.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
For something minor like this and the short time since expiration your dealer should go to bat for you with Kubota. Your not asking for an engine rebuild Not everyone uses these everyday and weeks could go by in between. If they didn't make it right for me it would make me seriously consider the other brands next time. My .02 cents.
For 30 bucks.... surely you jest

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Yes I believe the dealer could have made a big difference. However, to be clear, my gripe is with the dealer and not Kubota. I called Kubota today, and without coming out and directly saying it, the nice lady I spoke with said in so many words, that the dealer could have either (paraphrasing here) placed a call to them about my situation, filed for an extension, or something to that effect. In other words, she was saying that the dealer could have rectified the issue if they wanted to because my cable broke so close to my warranty. I would gladly buy another Kubota any day, but I will NEVER buy one from my local dealer, mostly because of the salesman, and now due to the way this small issue was handled. All I did was call them and ask about it, and like Barney Fife says, I was quickly nipped in the bud.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Where I am at certain things can be stretched over the warranty period some cant be touched after the warranty period expires. We have no such thing as extended warranty. Warranty does not extend to the second owner. The larger customers who may or may not deserve better warranty consideration don't always worry about warranty. Certain customers are always looking for warranty coverage on every little thing. When the warranty expires we don't see them in the shop until a new one is bought then warranty time again. As much as a tach cable I would not even think of warranty. A major flaw I would be calling and fighting for the customer. So buck up buttercup and fix the problem. It sucks but it is life.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
In these 'trying' economic times , it's hard to understand how a dealership could lose you and possibly everyone else you know as customers for a $10 cable ! Especially when today's 'social media' can pass along stories like yours, around the world in 30 seconds or less. I don't know what the average sale is a dealerships but it has to be HUGE compared to that $10 cable.
I had a similar experience up here, with a local auto parts+ more chain store. Between personal spending, my company purchases and 'word of mouth'... that store lost 1,000 of $ in the first year alone. Word spread fast as people wondered why they hadn't seen me there(usually 1-2 per week). They soon found me, same chain, different store..most followed my lead.

Reactions: 1 user

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
GreensvilleJay
Your reply is typical how gossip gets construed into incorrect information. The cable according to Messicks cost $25.37 then dealer labor & travel expense(mileage) needs to be added so repair costs ends up being significantly more involved than """""$10""""""

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why would anyone have a dealer install a new drive cable is beyond me. If you cannot do that yourself, you obviously wear slip on loafers because you cannot tie your shoelaces...... :rolleyes:

• Dislike

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I remember back in the 70's when I was employed by a dealer going on a service call to replace a fan belt.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You guys are just being too hard on folks. Jim and Flip, there are a lot of folks who just don't know the things many take for granted that they learned just growing up around people and paying attention.

As an example, I had a tenant who figured out how it impregnate a woman, and get enlisted in the Army and serve 3 years there. But upon his return to civilian life did not know how to tell the wattage on a light bulb. NOT Kidding or exaggerating.

I was working the the bathroom and he complained of not enough light in there. I told him there are receptacles for 4 bulbs, but two of them are empty. Just don't put a bulb larger then 40 watt in them. He said we have some light bulbs in a bag under the sink. Soon he asked, "How do you tell if they are 40 watts?" I though he was kidding. When he asked the second time I went out there and had to educate him on reading wattage on a light bulb. Life is extremely tough for some folks!.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: The cable according to Messicks cost $25.37 then dealer labor & travel expense(mileage) needs to be added so repair costs ends up being significantly more involved than """""$10""""""

I was going on 'cable only' NOT 'supply and install'.

The $25.37 is the retail selling price. Dealers typically get for 1/2 to 2/3 less, so $10 seemed reasonable, though I don't know what the actual dealer cost or markup is. Maybe an 'insider' will tell us ? I KNOW some parts are 400-800% (4 to 8 times dealer cost). I've worked both sides of the counter BTW. As for what it costs the dealer to order/receive/stock/call when in, that might add a buck to the deal, might.Though realistically you're taking less than 5 minutes of someone's time to do it all, yes BTDT too.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yup you don't make any money on parts unless you sell TONS of parts, lot of dealers push construction and ag because the parts cost more, they make more (sales parts and service). Kubota is pushing it too for the same and more reasons

yeah you'd think with this weird year we've had that every dealer would be more than willing to help folks. Common sense hey? The actual truth is that a lot of dealers have been extremely busy this year...myself included, so much so that I can honestly say that I've had to turn business away, because the shop was a month backlogged. A tech can only work so fast. Similarly, a parts guy can only help so many people at once, and a salesman can only sell 1 tractor (or whatever) at a time. "Hire more people"? $50,000/year is about what a good tech is expected to make, or you won't be able to keep him. Demand is very high right now for good techs. Young guys who are "young" aren't in big demand for anything but lot porters and occasionally service writers, and we can only hope that they put some effort into bettering themselves; showing dealer principals that they want to succeed. I have about 30 years in the business and have seen many come and go, many can't even get to work on time much less pass a drug test--and a drug test outta be mandatory for techs. I heard a manager say that if they drug tested everyone at the business that they'd all be gone (fired). That's what you get when you hire the cheapest labor. You gotta pay your guys to keep them, and you gotta wee out the DA's during interviews--I mean I have done this (SM) and you know when you see a deadbeat. But there is sometimes a good place for them, lot porter or whatever, and I've been the guy who's witnessed to them and gotten them straightened out, but on the other end, I've talked to them the same way and they've left. No big loss. They are going to do whatever they want to.

Lots more changes coming with kubota too....I was just looking at some of them, tech changes, etc. I can't say anything more about it other than it's exciting and potential headache at the same time lets hope Kubota has made it so that the technologically challenged like me can figure it out.

I will agree that every single dealership is judged by their hired help. You hire deadbeats, you get junk workers, that may or may not actually work FOR you, but against you. The people of the dealership make it what it is, and those people are a product of their manager/boss (usually). People don't leave a workplace because they can't handle the work, the majority generally leave because of someone who they don't get along with or whatever. Keep that in mind too.

Status
Not open for further replies.