Wanted: 6 volt DC portable tire inflator

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have been searching Amazon and other sites for a portable 6 VDC air compressor to inflate tires. This will be used in case of getting a flat tire in my Ford Model T.

I can find all kinds of 12 VDC portable compressors out there but so far I have not been able to find one powered by 6 VDC. I do not want to use a manual air pump. That is just too much manual labor if I need to inflate a tire to 60 psi.

If any of you are aware of a 6 VDC compressor that hooks to a 6 volt car battery, please let me know. I appreciate it.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I have been searching Amazon and other sites for a portable 6 VDC air compressor to inflate tires. This will be used in case of getting a flat tire in my Ford Model T.

I can find all kinds of 12 VDC portable compressors out there but so far I have not been able to find one powered by 6 VDC. I do not want to use a manual air pump. That is just too much manual labor if I need to inflate a tire to 60 psi.

If any of you are aware of a 6 VDC compressor that hooks to a 6 volt car battery, please let me know. I appreciate it.
not what you are looking for, but do you have a cordless tool set? Most brands have an inflator you can use your batteries with.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
not what you are looking for, but do you have a cordless tool set? Most brands have an inflator you can use your batteries with.
I do not have a cordless tool set. I use air for almost everything. I did see a cordless air compressor that looks a little like a cordless drill, but I don't know if it would work for inflating a high pressure Model T tire. Here is what I saw, what do you think, would this do what I need it to do?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I do not have a cordless tool set. I use air for almost everything. I did see a cordless air compressor that looks a little like a cordless drill, but I don't know if it would work for inflating a high pressure Model T tire. Here is what I saw, what do you think, would this do what I need it to do?

If that would work .... and at 135 psi it should , that would be a great answer.

Seems to work via battery AND the lighter - great if you did not have a fresh battery.

For 40 bucks .... might be the trick!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
If that would work .... and at 135 psi it should , that would be a great answer.

Seems to work via battery AND the lighter - great if you did not have a fresh battery.

For 40 bucks .... might be the trick!
I seriously doubt their claims. Besides, the battery for my Model T is a 6 volt system. The cordless compressor I linked to has just a 2000 mAh battery. I honestly don't think that is enough battery power to inflate a bicycle tire much less a Model T tire. I think their performance claims are exaggerated, or conditional.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Can’t speak for that particular product, but would suspect something like that would work. I don’t have air at my house, use a cordless inflator for the cars, truck, trailer, tractor.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you find a satisfactory twelve volt compressor consider carrying a second six volt battery in your Model T. It could be connected in parallel to maintain charge and give you extra starting current. Set it up such that you can connect it in series to give the twelve volts you seek when needed.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
If you find a satisfactory twelve volt compressor consider carrying a second six volt battery in your Model T. It could be connected in parallel to maintain charge and give you extra starting current. Set it up such that you can connect it in series to give the twelve volts you seek when needed.
I thought about that but the model I have is the 1922 Roadster. There really is no room for a second battery. I gave some thought to converting to a 12 volt system but then I would have to change wiring and lights. Also, the starter and generator would still be 6 volt.

There is one other possibility that I am considering. I have an air hose that screws into a cylinder (spark plug needs to be removed) and uses engine compression to inflate a tire. It works well for my motorcycle but the spark plug hole adapter is the wrong size. The model T uses a spark plug thread that is 1/2" NPT tapered. I do not have an adapter for this hose to work in the Model T spark plug hole. I have to think on this and figure out something that works.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I seriously doubt their claims. Besides, the battery for my Model T is a 6 volt system. The cordless compressor I linked to has just a 2000 mAh battery. I honestly don't think that is enough battery power to inflate a bicycle tire much less a Model T tire. I think their performance claims are exaggerated, or conditional.
Would something like this work? Apparently the hose gets hot during inflation and they recommend waiting for it to cool down before disconnecting. You will not be able to jump start a 6 volt car, but it can be handy with the additional functions. Watch the badly translated video.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Would something like this work? Apparently the hose gets hot during inflation and they recommend waiting for it to cool down before disconnecting. You will not be able to jump start a 6 volt car, but it can be handy with the additional functions. Watch the badly translated video.

That is a very interesting product. Multi-functional and compact. I will research that one. Thanks for the idea.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota

They make many different types of DC to DC converters that might fit your needs. Here's one such example:
Amazon.com: DIGITEN DC 6V 5-11V to 12V 2A Step up Converter Regulator Waterproof Boost Power Module: Automotive

You'd want to make sure the "step up" converter you buy was sized to handle the load of a small 12VDC air compressor you want to use. It might have more uses than just the air compressor for driving around in your "T". IE: small radio, cell phone charger, 12 vdc fan for air conditioning :LOL:

The little DC to DC converters work great!

David

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
They make many different types of DC to DC converters that might fit your needs. Here's one such example:
Amazon.com: DIGITEN DC 6V 5-11V to 12V 2A Step up Converter Regulator Waterproof Boost Power Module: Automotive

You'd want to make sure the "step up" converter you buy was sized to handle the load of a small 12VDC air compressor you want to use. It might have more uses than just the air compressor for driving around in your "T". IE: small radio, cell phone charger, 12 vdc fan for air conditioning :LOL:

The little DC to DC converters work great!

David
That probably will work. I see the output is only 2 amps though. I probably could find a 12 volt compressor that is just 2 amps but I would rather find one that is up to 15 amps. Thank you, this gives me more choices.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
That probably will work. I see the output is only 2 amps though. I probably could find a 12 volt compressor that is just 2 amps but I would rather find one that is up to 15 amps. Thank you, this gives me more choices.
I just gave that as an example of what's out there. If you find a 12 vdc pump you'd like to use: search for a 6vdc to 12vdc converter rated for the same output amps or watts. Google should do the hard part once you know what size of DC to DC converter rating you need. Or you can just go to ebay or amazon and search 6 volt to 12 volt DC to DC converter and out of the results.....pick the one that will handle your pumps load. Those converters come in all types of configurations and load capeabilities.
David

You could even ask on here once you find a pump and we'll find some converters that would work....you choose in the end. :)

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I just gave that as an example of what's out there. If you find a 12 vdc pump you'd like to use: search for a 6vdc to 12vdc converter rated for the same output amps or watts. Google should do the hard part once you know what size of DC to DC converter rating you need. Or you can just go to ebay or amazon and search 6 volt to 12 volt DC to DC converter and out of the results.....pick the one that will handle your pumps load. Those converters come in all types of configurations and load capeabilities.
David

You could even ask on here once you find a pump and we'll find some converters that would work....you choose in the end. :)
I have a viair 12 volt pump but it is 30 amps. It clips directly to the battery. That pump will not work for this, but I will find one that does. I already checked out several converters so I am now aware of some that will work if I just find a pump to match the current output. Thanks for the idea. This is good.

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
I have gone to Ryobi for everything 18 volt and 40 volt. Chain saw, pole saw trimmer, weedeater, . Can't jerk cord on gas powered with plates n screws in my neck. Have 2 air compressors, one with digital readout ,psi gage, has a host of different attachments for tires , floats, 2 speed
Will pump up equipment trailer tires to 80 psi.Don't leave home without it. 4 wheeler, grand kids bicycle tires. Carry extra batteries ,got lots of extras for drill, Sawzall. Really handy for me. I think Ryobi has 100 + tools for 18 volt . Think about it. Good luck to all on your projects.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
one option is to buy a 6 volt to 12 volt power converter, depending on amps required anywhere from $10 to $25. I've used them to run OTS LED on 6v tractors for years.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Could you use a 12v jump pack that would be used to power the pump?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have decided to use a step up converter and a small HF portable 12 volt pump. Thanks to all for the replies.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have decided to use a step up converter and a small HF portable 12 volt pump. Thanks to all for the replies.
Glad that will work out for you, armylifer! I'd be interested in a pic of your model T and how your fabrication and final project turns out.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Your vintage car brought back memories of my dad's first car bought just after returning from WWII.
He found a used 1937 Terraplane. Then unfortunately around 1980 something he had a lapse of judgement and sold it before asking if any of us children would've liked to have had it. Shucks! At least it must've impressed my mother enough to marry him! LOL! I'll have to try find a picture of that and post.