Very short clutch pedal throw

b4200

Nov 5, 2019
ohio
I have a 4200D that in high range my clutch engagement is maybe a 1/4" of travel. It is very hard to operate the clutch smoothly. I feel like a new driver bunny hopping the thing.

In low gear it is much easier, but I am assuming that has to do with the gearing.

The tractor only has 530 hrs. on it and makes no noise or any other issues relating to the clutch pedal or engagement. I'm new to tractors, so I guess i'm asking does throttle amount have anything to do with it, or is it clutch related?

Thanks.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds to me like you need a clutch pedal travel adjustment. How much clutch pedal travel do you have presently (free pedal movement from the top to the release point in the travel itself). The pedal needs to be adjusted for 1/2- 1" free travel before resistance.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just like Flip said, loosen the lock nut and adjust it (might have to take the cotter pin out of the other end also).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a 4200D that in high range my clutch engagement is maybe a 1/4" of travel. It is very hard to operate the clutch smoothly. I feel like a new driver bunny hopping the thing.

In low gear it is much easier, but I am assuming that has to do with the gearing.

The tractor only has 530 hrs. on it and makes no noise or any other issues relating to the clutch pedal or engagement. I'm new to tractors, so I guess i'm asking does throttle amount have anything to do with it, or is it clutch related?

Thanks.
There could be a variety of factors going on.

530 hours on a 35+ year old tractor is nothing, so i suspect sitting it doing more damage than it being over worked.

Could be the clutch disk has some rust / corrosion on it or the disks are failing, and becoming sticky.

The throwout bearing could be going bad (but if no noise when you engage clutch that's unlikely).

The clutch linkage could be out of adjustment, happens as the clutch disk wears.

Are you taking off with it reved way up?
Try doing it at just above idle the rev it back up after releasing the clutch.

That's a little tractor and the geometry of leg to pedal for a bigger operator could be a factor too.

b4200

Nov 5, 2019
ohio
Sounds to me like you need a clutch pedal travel adjustment. How much clutch pedal travel do you have presently (free pedal movement from the top to the release point in the travel itself). The pedal needs to be adjusted for 1/2- 1" free travel before resistance.
Thanks for the help, I will look into this. I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of travel before the clutch takes in.

b4200

Nov 5, 2019
ohio
There could be a variety of factors going on.

530 hours on a 35+ year old tractor is nothing, so i suspect sitting it doing more damage than it being over worked.

Could be the clutch disk has some rust / corrosion on it or the disks are failing, and becoming sticky.

The throwout bearing could be going bad (but if no noise when you engage clutch that's unlikely).

The clutch linkage could be out of adjustment, happens as the clutch disk wears.

Are you taking off with it reved way up?
Try doing it at just above idle the rev it back up after releasing the clutch.

That's a little tractor and the geometry of leg to pedal for a bigger operator could be a factor too.
I don't have any weird sounds and there is no shuddering or anything when working the clutch. I feel like I have about 4" or so of travel where nothing happens, then in a 1/4" everything happens. There is no chance of sliding the clutch on my tractor.

I usually am just above idle to less than mid throttle at most on take off then adding RPM.

I'm gonna check the linkage then just drive around working the clutch a bit and see how it goes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the help, I will look into this. I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of travel before the clutch takes in.
With this statement, it sounds like you have a spring stretched / worn / damaged pressure plate.
Try adjusting the linkage but is just sounds like your not getting the pressure plate to open up, and it will need replaced.

This would make sense given the age of the unit.

b4200

Nov 5, 2019
ohio
With this statement, it sounds like you have a spring stretched / worn / damaged pressure plate.
Try adjusting the linkage but is just sounds like your not getting the pressure plate to open up, and it will need replaced.

This would make sense given the age of the unit.
I'll follow up with the results when I get around to doing it. Thanks.

b4200

Nov 5, 2019
ohio
I'll follow up with the results when I get around to doing it. Thanks.
So the follow up to this is as follows.
2020 happened lol. I had 3 surgeries and haven't worked in a while so this kinda lost some importance for awhile.

That being said, while doing some research on the issue, I noticed in lots of videos of similar sized Kubotas, the clutch looks very grabby and engagement was abrupt. Since I have no slippage or shuddering, maybe the tractor isn't the problem, but I am. Long story short, I need to adjust the linkage for sure per the WSM and advice given here, but other than that I'm going to let this ride as I don't think I am hurting anything.

I have built a 4' box blade, bought a used 30" dirt/pond scoop and a ripper shank thing. It has no issues with any of these implements as far as clutch operation goes. If I dig too deep with the box blade or scoop, the tractor simply will sit and spin it's tires, but not slip the clutch one bit. If I bite off too much and have enough traction, the tractor will shudder and attempt to stall due to bogging down the motor. Seems to me the clutch works exactly like it should.

If it changes, I will deal with it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
not always- I've ran into this before. There are really two possibilities either the pressure plate is worn or the disc has lost it's spring. Most likely worn pressure plate. Not so much the friction surface but the pressure plate release assembly. Either way it's best to get the whole kit. if you look at a disk from it's end you'll see that there is a marcel spring in the middle....this makes it so the clutch gradually engages instead of just having 1/4 of pedal travel between on and off. Sometimes the disc gets overheated and the marcel spring flattens out. Usually at that point the other clutch components are worn too. high performance clutches don't have the marcel spring and they don't have the springs in the hub either. They are on or they are off and they often chatter.

b4200

Nov 5, 2019
ohio
not always- I've ran into this before. There are really two possibilities either the pressure plate is worn or the disc has lost it's spring. Most likely worn pressure plate. Not so much the friction surface but the pressure plate release assembly. Either way it's best to get the whole kit. if you look at a disk from it's end you'll see that there is a marcel spring in the middle....this makes it so the clutch gradually engages instead of just having 1/4 of pedal travel between on and off. Sometimes the disc gets overheated and the marcel spring flattens out. Usually at that point the other clutch components are worn too. high performance clutches don't have the marcel spring and they don't have the springs in the hub either. They are on or they are off and they often chatter.
In my case you may be right. I just haven't felt the need to tear the tractor apart and deal with it since realistically I'm not even sure the tractor has a problem. It might just be me. The linkage definitely needs adjusted and past that, if it acts weird, I will split it and start work.

I'm just trying to make sure I'm not making a problem where one doesn't exist.