Valve spool retaining bolt

Papa V

Equipment
L4240 Land Pride Box Blade, Land Pride Disc, HLA Snowplow, EA WRR Grapple
Aug 4, 2022
Michigan
I picked up my l4240 from the dealer today. It was in for something unrelated but while it was there the mechanic noticed the loader valve up under the tractor was leaking and needed o rings. As soon as I lifted the bucket and curled it I noticed something wasn't right. I went inside and was informed that the centering spring retaining bolt was broke and he couldn't get it out. Funny it wasn't that way when I dropped it off but now what do I do? They are telling me a new valve is $1700. I'm not familiar with the internals of those valves but is there a way to extract a broken bolt in there?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I picked up my l4240 from the dealer today. It was in for something unrelated but while it was there the mechanic noticed the loader valve up under the tractor was leaking and needed o rings. As soon as I lifted the bucket and curled it I noticed something wasn't right. I went inside and was informed that the centering spring retaining bolt was broke and he couldn't get it out. Funny it wasn't that way when I dropped it off but now what do I do? They are telling me a new valve is $1700. I'm not familiar with the internals of those valves but is there a way to extract a broken bolt in there?
I tried to lookup the parts for thst valve on the Kubota site and there is no component break down just the assembly. Strange. In any event you typically remove the cover on the back of the spool to get to the positioner mechanism. The lift spool should be spring center with a fourth detented float position so there may be some ball bearings that want to launch themselves when you take it off. With the cover off you remove the machine screw retaining the spool and slide the spool out from the front. If that screw is what's broken it's like removing any other broken bolt. If you are not experienced in this area its probably best handled by taking the valve to a hydraulic service center.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Papa V

Equipment
Aug 4, 2022
Michigan
Thanks. It's the bucket valve and I got thinking about it and I wonder what he did with the spring. The valve works fine just doesn't return to center unless I put it there. He said if I take the tire off there is a cover I can remove to access it better. It's very frustrating because it was fine when I took it in. There is a hydraulic shop not far I can take it to once I get it off.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks. It's the bucket valve and I got thinking about it and I wonder what he did with the spring. The valve works fine just doesn't return to center unless I put it there. He said if I take the tire off there is a cover I can remove to access it better. It's very frustrating because it was fine when I took it in. There is a hydraulic shop not far I can take it to once I get it off.
Good luck! Spring may still be in there but disconnected and doing nothing.

Dan

Papa V

Equipment
Aug 4, 2022
Michigan
I agree. It was in there because the third function kit they put on leaked at almost every fitting. It was only in there to
I think more like mechanic worked on it and broke it. Now it's he said she said.....

Dan
That's exactly where it's at. It was in there because most of the fittings on the third function they installed leaked. They followed up their first mistake with another. I guess I had to learn the expensive way not to go there.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I agree. It was in there because the third function kit they put on leaked at almost every fitting. It was only in there to

That's exactly where it's at. It was in there because most of the fittings on the third function they installed leaked. They followed up their first mistake with another. I guess I had to learn the expensive way not to go there.
I would be talking to management and telling them to fix the problem they created and you didn’t ask to be fixed on their dime.

Papa V

Equipment
Aug 4, 2022
Michigan
THEY will deny .....all day long.....that THEY had anything to do with the problem!
He claims the bolt was broke when he took it apart but it was working fine when i took it there.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
He claims the bolt was broke when he took it apart but it was working fine when i took it there.
Unfortunately, this is an...... "I said....he said".
You loose!

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If the tech didn't know how to properly install the 3rd function kit correctly and confirm the fitting did not leak, there's a good chance he'll say whatever he has to to save his job when it comes to hydraulics. With no idea how to fix, except to replace with no options, kind of fits his description.

Papa V

Equipment
Aug 4, 2022
Michigan
If the tech didn't know how to properly install the 3rd function kit correctly and confirm the fitting did not leak, there's a good chance he'll say whatever he has to to save his job when it comes to hydraulics. With no idea how to fix, except to replace with no options, kind of fits his description.
Apparently he's a different guy replacing the guy that originally screwed it up but he's no better

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I guess I'm not understanding how the dealership is disclaiming responsibility?

Did you leave it at the dealership after finding the issue?

I'd be talking to the owner, and demand to talk to a regional Kubota rep and a maybe even a lawyer.

Papa V

Equipment
Aug 4, 2022
Michigan
I finally had time to do some more looking into the problem. The part "O" apparently is broken off and the bottom half came out and the upper half is stuck in the valve body according to the mechanic. It seems to me that the part it would be threaded into is the spool that moves inside the valve body right?

Attachments

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
Hmm.. that’s what it looks like…. But, it should be removable by someone who knows how to remove broken off bolts. I would NOT let those people to continue working on it, if that was my tractor.
sadly, there is a good chance that if they assembled it for some reason, it’s probably cross threaded now. so it got stuck, they forced it, it broke. I can’t see why they would have done anything to it, but.. I couldn’t see how they could have left hydraulic leaks, either.

I‘ve been learning to do my own work, because I have a low opinion of my local tractor dealer. Sigh.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I finally had time to do some more looking into the problem. The part "O" apparently is broken off and the bottom half came out and the upper half is stuck in the valve body according to the mechanic. It seems to me that the part it would be threaded into is the spool that moves inside the valve body right?
Could be. That's not inside the valve body. it's part of the detent mechanism inside the cover on the back of the block. Bad news is that is not an ordinary bolt and based on what I can see in the diagram other than the balls and a few seals those parts are not available.

Dan