V.O.M.A.D. and Fishing Boat Project

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here’s the end result with a vintage 18 HP Evinrude mounted. I had found some info online once that said this boat was rated for up to 30 HP. But its hard to imagine that heavy an outboard on the transom of this short boat. I think you’d need a fat fishing partner way up front for that. Still, I’ll have to mount the 30 HP Evinrude on it just to try it out.
Finished Boat & Trailer.jpg

Now I just need more time to use it for fishing!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Of course, with all those old motors came their metal 6 gallon fuel tanks. Some were two hose models but most were single hose. And I converted some of the two hose outboards to a single hose setup so I could use the same tank on them.

If the tanks were cruddy on the inside, they were tumbled with lead shot and a little kerosene inside the tank to clean them out. The dents were bumped out, tank sand blasted, body puttied, and painted. The tank fittings were all redone with new gaskets, cork floats, o-rings, etc. Some diaphragm material used in dentistry pumps became the source for new diaphragm material in the two hose tanks and also in rebuilding some of the original fuel pumps. Here's my custom "internal" hammer dent removal tool:
Gas Tank Dent Hammer.JPG
And more pics:
Outboard Gas Tanks.jpg Ready for Diaphragms.jpg Pressure Testing.JPG

Final pressure testing completed, the tanks now sit up on a shelf out of the way.
Rebuilt Outboard Tanks.JPG

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Collecting outboards is a disease. Like most diseases, there are support groups. In the US check out https://www.aomci.org/ and in Canada there's http://www.mlaoc.ca/

A great source for OEM paint colours, reproduction decals, medallions, wiring harnesses, etc. is http://nymarine.ca/ (mostly Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury, but some others as well).

Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Collecting outboards is a disease. Like most diseases, there are support groups. In the US check out https://www.aomci.org/ and in Canada there's http://www.mlaoc.ca/

A great source for OEM paint colours, reproduction decals, medallions, wiring harnesses, etc. is http://nymarine.ca/ (mostly Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury, but some others as well).
Torch, those are two great sites for both info and parts. I've used them both many times. It's amazing how many new old stock parts that are classified as "consumables" are still available for most all older outboards. And an internet search will even turn up a lot of new repro parts for many that may be the same or even better than the parts they replace.

I have to agree with my wife that I probably have enough outboards to keep me busy for years to come. But.....if a nice old Kiekhaefer Mercury outboard is spotted it may require adding another tier on that outboard motor rack! 😂

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Another future project: This is a circa 1920’s “Star Tank & Boat Co.” boat whose maker eventually morphed into the Starcraft manufacturer. This was laying in the Minnesota Northwoods at a little cabin that our family owned long ago. When the cabin was sold, I hauled this boat home saving it from the junk yard. It’s a heavy beast made of sections of galvanized steel riveted together. I may have to see if the present day Starcraft would be interested in it. Would make a nice display hanging up somewhere if redone.

1920s Star Tank & Boat Co..JPG Star Tank & Boat Bottom.JPG
The hull on this one is still in extremely nice shape. It's all very tight and with very little rust. I wouldn't doubt that it would float right now. But boy, is it heavy and nothing you'd want to trailer around. It probably was an early resort boat in its glory days. Still, it needs a little TLC, including all new mahogany woodwork and paint. The triangular piece laying beside the upturned boat is a hollow floatation compartment that had a wood seat on top of it to fit in the bow of the boat. Itself made out of galvanized steel and not very light.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have been known to prowl a couple of local scrap dealers seeking old outboards for parts or restoration. One day, many years ago, I found a 16' runabout that had been stripped of all but the aluminium hull. The paint was rough, but it looked straight and tight, so I bought it and dragged it home, planning to hang a 22 Scott Atwater on the transom.

Which is when I discovered the transom was for a 20" long-shaft and the Scott was a 15" short-shaft. I had a long shaft 25 parts motor, so I slid the 22 sideways to make room and tried the 25 for size. I discovered two things: yes, the long-shaft motor was a perfect fit and dang, that thing looked real good with two motors hanging off the stern! All of a sudden the 25 was no longer designated as a parts motor, but rather as a candidate for resurrection.

It took 2 years to find the parts needed to assemble another long-shaft motor. The boat itself is also a collection of parts -- bits and pieces from various flea markets and swap meets. Some people have rat rods or rat bikes -- I have a rat boat. Only 50 hp total, but one heck of a hole shot, and it has the coolest sound when you get the two engines spinning at the same rpm.

Can't seem to put my finger on a good picture, so this grainy shot will have to do for now:

00606E8C2F5E(WaseosaCam2)_m20110716160735.jpg

Here's a shot that shows the bank of levers and rare Scott tachometers. And yes, that's a siren on the bow -- left over from a prior fire truck restoration. It's a rat boat -- anything goes! <lol>
IMG_0994.JPG

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have been known to prowl a couple of local scrap dealers seeking old outboards for parts or restoration. One day, many years ago, I found a 16' runabout that had been stripped of all but the aluminium hull. The paint was rough, but it looked straight and tight, so I bought it and dragged it home, planning to hang a 22 Scott Atwater on the transom.

Which is when I discovered the transom was for a 20" long-shaft and the Scott was a 15" short-shaft. I had a long shaft 25 parts motor, so I slid the 22 sideways to make room and tried the 25 for size. I discovered two things: yes, the long-shaft motor was a perfect fit and dang, that thing looked real good with two motors hanging off the stern! All of a sudden the 25 was no longer designated as a parts motor, but rather as a candidate for resurrection.

It took 2 years to find the parts needed to assemble another long-shaft motor. The boat itself is also a collection of parts -- bits and pieces from various flea markets and swap meets. Some people have rat rods or rat bikes -- I have a rat boat. Only 50 hp total, but one heck of a hole shot, and it has the coolest sound when you get the two engines spinning at the same rpm.

Can't seem to put my finger on a good picture, so this grainy shot will have to do for now:

View attachment 52338
Very NICE! Nothing like cruising around the lake in a vintage boat/motor combo, either. I bet those twin outboards in sync would sound like a P-38 Lightning, or in your case maybe a Bristol Beaufighter flying a mission around the lake! :LOL: And our old boats draw just as much attention at the ramps as the cookie cutter new boats. I want a ride!!!

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I was thinking Otter, but yeah, it is very reminiscent of a twin engine aircraft.

Maintenance wise, it's more like a Sea-King helicopter: 10 hours of maintenance for every hour of flight, and the manufacturer quit making parts long ago. :)

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota

View attachment 52338

Here's a shot that shows the bank of levers and rare Scott tachometers. And yes, that's a siren on the bow -- left over from a prior fire truck restoration. It's a rat boat -- anything goes! <lol>
View attachment 52339
Now that is COOL! And it looks like the pilot and her co-pilot have everything under control, too!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Still another project yet! But this one is only 50% mine, as the other half interest belongs to a younger brother. It’s a Chetek fishing/runabout boat (+/- 17 ft), formerly made in Chetek, Wisconsin. Not too many were made so it might have some collector’s value. This one had been stored inside a well-kept barn so all was dry, the wood pretty sound, and trim pieces present. The bottom half of the hull was fiberglass covered direct from the factory apparently. From some marks on the top deck, it may have had a short windshield on it at one time. A board on the rear seat folds up for a backrest for the operator's comfort while running the tiller motor.
Chetek.JPG Chetek Boat.jpg Chetek Logo_2.jpg Chetek Escutcheon.JPG

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would have made fiberglass trees. ;-)

Nothing like a lovely wood boat. Some careful restoration and that will be gorgeous.

Mine was a bit of a wreck when I aquired it. It was a great father-son project 20 odd years ago and still brings us a lot of pleasure.

KIMG0156-1024.jpg

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would have made fiberglass trees. ;-)

Nothing like a lovely wood boat. Some careful restoration and that will be gorgeous.

Mine was a bit of a wreck when I aquired it. It was a great father-son project 20 odd years ago and still brings us a lot of pleasure.

View attachment 52466
Wow! Torch, that is one fine looking craft you have! Exquisite! I bet you draw a crowd at the ramps when out for a cruise. From one extreme to the other. :ROFLMAO: And both just as nice and just as fun in their own way, too. What make is this boat? Fantastic restoration!

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The make is a bit of a mystery. No makers marks, serial number, plates or even registration numbers were visible anywhere when I got it. The steering is on the port side and the ribs are squared. Squared ribs suggests Lakefield, but they never made a port side steer model. The hull shape is somewhat reminiscent of a Peterborough, but they used rounded ribs. It has a large, thick, carved mahogany dash that just doesn't seem to fit any of the known local manufacturers. Best guess is it was a personal boat made by someone who worked in the industry, possibly during a winter lay-off. Probably 50's vintage.

Restoration work included all new decking, new floor, some seat supports, a few ribs and part of the transom. Yours looks in better shape than mine was. There's been some maintenance over the years too, of course.

The motor is a 1959 Evindrude Lark -- the Golden Jubilee edition. So my 50 year anniversary motor is now over 60 years old. It didn't come with the boat, but I feel it really suits the boat.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The make is a bit of a mystery. No makers marks, serial number, plates or even registration numbers were visible anywhere when I got it. The steering is on the port side and the ribs are squared. Squared ribs suggests Lakefield, but they never made a port side steer model. The hull shape is somewhat reminiscent of a Peterborough, but they used rounded ribs. It has a large, thick, carved mahogany dash that just doesn't seem to fit any of the known local manufacturers. Best guess is it was a personal boat made by someone who worked in the industry, possibly during a winter lay-off. Probably 50's vintage.

Restoration work included all new decking, new floor, some seat supports, a few ribs and part of the transom. Yours looks in better shape than mine was. There's been some maintenance over the years too, of course.

The motor is a 1959 Evindrude Lark -- the Golden Jubilee edition. So my 50 year anniversary motor is now over 60 years old. It didn't come with the boat, but I feel it really suits the boat.
I noticed the "port steering" right away but figured the photo had just been flipped somehow. I wasn't aware of the different shaped ribs pertaining to different builders. Interesting! Whoever did build that boat sure done well with their lofting and coming up with those lines. She's a beauty. Maybe he was a true Englishman and wanted the steering on the proper side. LOL.

Here's another pic of all the interior ribs in this Chetek boat. Thankfully they seem to all be in good shape with no dry rot that we've seen yet. We just aren't sure yet how to start the sanding between all those ribs as they're hardly an inch or two apart in the narrower places. Removing the top deck first will be the first step, but I hate to do that until we have somewhat of a final game plan established for the whole process.
Chetek Interior Ribs.JPG

And here's a pic taken just after I had been restoring all the fuel tanks and looking for a spot to put them. Makes one wonder that after the Chetek is restored if I should plan a nonstop round trip down the Mississippi? 😂
IMG_0943_3.jpg

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Dremel used to make their "Contour Sander", a tiny little vibrating sander with a wide array of shapes for sanding both flats and curves in really tight spaces like that.

They've discontinued that, but now offer the MM730 contour accessory for an oscillating tool (https://us.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/accessories/mm730-contour-sander-accessory). It only comes with a few of the shapes, but looks like it uses the same sanding tubes and will fit in those spaces.

That is a lot of fuel tanks. Better use stabilizer, because it'll take you a while to use it all!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Dremel used to make their "Contour Sander", a tiny little vibrating sander with a wide array of shapes for sanding both flats and curves in really tight spaces like that.

They've discontinued that, but now offer the MM730 contour accessory for an oscillating tool (https://us.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/accessories/mm730-contour-sander-accessory). It only comes with a few of the shapes, but looks like it uses the same sanding tubes and will fit in those spaces.

That is a lot of fuel tanks. Better use stabilizer, because it'll take you a while to use it all!
We think alike: I have a Fein oscillating tool and am considering modifying one of the blades to accept narrow strips of sandpaper. that may be just the ticket to get between the ribs in those narrow spots.

Torch, in the background of your wood boat pic is a nice selection of vintage wood water skis. NICE! It's almost impossible to find them for sale around here now as everyone wants them for decorations.
David

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here’s two Glastron GT150s we’ve owned. I didn’t need two but while looking for parts for the first one, the other one turned up for sale and somehow, it just followed me home. The gray one was eventually sold but we still have the gold GT150 like the one with which James Bond jumped the sheriff’s car in the movie “Live or Let Die”. A virtual sports car on water, they’re a fun little ski boat that our boys and their friends enjoyed for water sports. And me too!!

Two Glastron GT150s.jpg Glastron GT150.jpg GT150 Low Freeboard.jpg Tough Life.JPG

Here’s yours truly, the old “Pilot in Command” at age 62 showing the youngsters that yes you can run the slalom course while flying the air chair. When on the air chair, you are the pilot. In fact, you’re actually the joystick while flying. Which ever way you lean….is the direction you quickly go! What a blast! But if you lean to far forward and fast, the face plants aren’t very fun! As much as is possible, I do try to leave the “Intentional” jumps and flips to the younger daredevils. :ROFLMAO:

Old 'Pilot in Command'.jpg

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Very cool. The size of those Glasstrons is really put in scale by the shot of 6 people crowding into one.

The old, wide, wooden skiis are particularly useful when trying to get an adult up behind and old wooden boat with a whopping 35hp. ;-) I don't have an air chair -- never even tried one. Might get one up behind the twin 25s on the aluminium rat boat but I doubt there would be any hope behind the wood one. Mahogany may float, but it's still heavy!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And here I thought my putting a B&S motor on a junk Ted Williams outboard for 12 foot Jon boat was a big deal,, some of you guys are amazing!!! (y)(y)(y)😲