Using work lights when engine if off???

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I've got a 3 bay pole shed (closed on 3 sides with no electric or lights) where I keep my L3560. It can get pretty dark in there, but the bota's lights light up the whole place! I can hear something running on her (fuel pump?) and want to make sure I'm not damaging something by doing this...

Is it OK to have the ignition on with the engine not running so I can use my lights even though the fuel pump (or whatever) is running?

Thanks!
Ted

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am not sure I would do that other than 30 seconds or so, when changing the filters on a "BX" model - the book says turn to the on position for 30 seconds so fuel will push air out.
Not sure that is true on your L.

I would hook the lights to the battery directly - that way, the flick of the switch allows the lights and nothing else - if you have LED lights you could leave them on for a long time and never hurt the system , not likely you will leave them on either !:D:)

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I am not sure I would do that other than 30 seconds or so, when changing the filters on a "BX" model - the book says turn to the on position for 30 seconds so fuel will push air out.
Not sure that is true on your L.

I would hook the lights to the battery directly - that way, the flick of the switch allows the lights and nothing else - if you have LED lights you could leave them on for a long time and never hurt the system , not likely you will leave them on either !:D:)
The lights I want to use are factory front and back work lights, so I don't really want to attempt to re-wire. I also don't want to add more. So, if I can't use the factory lights, I guess I'll just work in the dark! Nothing new there!!! :)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Another solution for short term light in barns without electricity are the stick on battery powered lights. There are a whole lot of designs, eg for closets for example, and others. They are pretty cheap, and beat nothing. There are also solar panel recharged lights that don't take a lot of work to install.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your not going to hurt anything leaving the key on to get lights, but you would be better of running it, so it charges the battery and powers the lights. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The hard part about using the 3560 in the "on but not running" position is that I have not run across any information as to what it is actually doing in this state. The computer brings up a display screen with several messages that take a couple of seconds (and activates the glow plugs). The ticking noises might be the fuel pump or pumps and I would wonder if leaving them running on the high pressure common rail system might not be good?

Leaving the engine running would be fine, although idling is not good for the dpf filter, and if you are unhooking implements less safe. (Neutral, parking brake on, the hst pedal is so reliable it is easy to forget). I guess it all depends on how long you need light for, and what you are doing!

Technical Ted

Equipment
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
Your not going to hurt anything leaving the key on to get lights, but you would be better of running it, so it charges the battery and powers the lights. ;)
I want to use my lights when changing implements that I store in my shed, like when I unhook/hook up my rotary cutter or FEL (can't run the engine when coupling hydraulics :)).

So, NIW, is that the fuel pump I hear running? What is actually energized/running in this state (key on, engine not running)? The only thing that works in ACC is the radio. I wish Kubota had made the lights live in ACC as well.

As always, I appreciate the help!
Thanks,
Ted

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net

Attachments

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
Sheepfarmer mentioned solar powered lights. Harbor Freight has several different types.

I have about 6 of these in use both at my house and my off-grid cabin. For the money, no complaints at all. Over a year of use so far and all are still working.

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
On our barn we have no electric hooked up for lights. I have several solar light that have pull ropes to turn on lights and they do have an option to leave lights on until battery is dead to recharge the next day. I did buy the harbor freight model mentioned earlier and there is a switch to set to on or movement detection. Might look into a "fishing" headlamp that have a bright setting to turn on to help see to change implements and last a long time with 2 18650 batteries unlike 20 minutes on bright handheld flashlights using same batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I don't know what the electrical system on your tractor is like but I imagine that you light switch is connected to the ignition switch through the fuse box. You should be able to wire an on/off switch directly from your battery to your tractor lights and then be able to turn on the tractor lights without turning on the ignition switch. If you have a manual for your tractor that has a wiring diagram you should be able to find someplace in the circuit that you can jumper in a switch to bypass the ignition switch.

Another tack would be to ask your dealer how to make the lights come on without turning on the ignition switch.