Using STP as additive in Hydraulic system

DickSnyder

Equipment
L185DT,L1200 FEL, Rear blade,Woods RCC42
Jul 29, 2011
Mt. Hood Parkdale, Oregon
I've been reading a few other tractor forums, I know, shame on me, and there seems to be a large number of orange tractor owners using STP in their hydraulic systems. I know I'm opening up a large can/drum of worms, but here goes: Pros and cons of this practice? I'm a grown man, so give me your honest opinion. This should be interesting :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Thanks, Dick

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Maybe back in the day when the old Ford 8N was a state of the art machine adding STP might have been an advantage. Let's face it, compairing what we have today to back then the old iron needed all the help it could get. I'm not going to start a brand war so I'll leave it at this. If you use a good quality hyd oil I don't see any advantage to using additives. As long as the hyd oil stays in the tractors between service intervals it's a wise move to spend a few extra $$$ to get a quality oil that you can count on.

DickSnyder

Equipment
Jul 29, 2011
I have a grand old lady, L185DT, :) certainly wasn't referring to the newer model oranges. Just that I was curious that they would add STP to the hydraulic system.
Thanks
Dick

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That one may be old enough that it has gear oil instead of hyd. If so I could see someone adding STP to the system. I still say that using a higher quality lubricant in the first place is the best bet though.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
as I see it, using manufacturers recommended fluids is best as long as they are avail. especially newer models. many additives are already in place and i see no need to play chemist.

Deneh

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL2000FD
Dec 2, 2010
Herlong, Calif
STP is an additive for gear lubrication and hydraulic fluid is designed for pressures and flow applications. I fail to see the use of it in hydraulic systems except maybe in older systems that use lubricating oils for operation.

Likewise, to test this you should be able to add hydraulic oil as a supplement to your engine oil on a new car and see how it runs! I would not risk this and you wouldn't either. Better to leave it the manufacture recommendations and be done with it. :D

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
STP is an additive for gear lubrication and hydraulic fluid is designed for pressures and flow applications. I fail to see the use of it in hydraulic systems except maybe in older systems that use lubricating oils for operation.

Likewise, to test this you should be able to add hydraulic oil as a supplement to your engine oil on a new car and see how it runs! I would not risk this and you wouldn't either. Better to leave it the manufacture recommendations and be done with it. :D
I agree. There is a phsychology to their methods- we think that adding a little of this or that will increase life, power, and reliability. But, the manufacturers spend millions on R&D, and their recommendations are invariably the best route to go.
My wife has a 2000 Ford Windstar. I was going to drive it to Homstead, FL, and was topping off all the fluids. I knew that in modern vehicles, you don't mess around with viscosity- the passages and holes are smaller and more precise, and if you change the viscosity that was engineered in the engine, you are playing dangerously. There was a bottle of STP oil treatment that just called my name, though. I added some, thinking that it would be helpful on a long distance, fast trip to Florida (we were picking up a Haitian pastor, turning right around and coming straight back). Wrong. I messed up the bearings in the crank position sensor. Now, this is not about STP, or even to diagnose what may have happened- the point is, when we second guess the engineers and designers, then we take the responsibility on our shoulders. Fuels and oils are very complex- even with deep investigation, we are stabbing in the dark when we add stuff to the oil and fuel. Some things are harmless- time proves that. Other things are not.
You can do whatever you want- it's your tractor. But, I would ask myself this- why do I want to add STP to my hydraulic system, and what do I want to accomplish by doing it? And, how do I know that I am accomplishing something, instead of harming something?
Like Bulldog said, using high quality, approved oils is the route to go.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
If you're going to use an additive, use one intended for a hydraulic system. There are several out there, I use Lucas's farm hydraulic oil additive in my
M4500 just because they (Kubota) now spec the UDT type fluid for it and it originally was shipped with 80w. The UDT being much thinner seems to equate to more tranny noise for me so I "thicken" it up a little with the Lucas additive. The problem with additives not intended for hydraulics is that they often foam. Foaming results in lost performance because part of what the pump is trying to pressurize is air.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Maybe its just me but I'm a firm believer in theres no such thing as a mechanic in a bottle. If your hydraulic system is acting poorly and wont lift weight like it should then chances are its time to flush out the hydraulic system and put fresh new oil in and change the filter.

DickSnyder

Equipment
Jul 29, 2011
Didn't say I was or will, just curious why they would do that. :eek:
My old girl only gets orange products anyway, so won't be a factor for me or her, just trying to understand their thought process. :rolleyes:
Hope all have a great Labor Day weekend.
Dick