Using Bio-Diesel some facts

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Moderator note: Moved/coppied post from other areas to this thread and providing links of facts so not to hijack... and cause this deserved it's own thread

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Re: Water Separator

you didn't make the mistake of puttin bio-willy in it, didja? that stuff draws water and algae, like bummer draws flies......
If you have a water separator; particularly one rated for Bio-D.. who cares if the Bio-D attracts water a tad easier; water separator solves that issue. Add to that small changes in habits when clean separator as well as when you purchase and use the fuel reduces further the Bio-D fuel storage/water attraction issues too.

Quality produced 100% Bio-D has a higher cetane and higher lubrication quality... esp. when engine is hot so it is actually better for the engine. Common found 5-10% Bio-D mixes won't increase cetane but it does still improve lubricity.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

.....Coach, only ultra low sulfur S15 is recommended for these tier IV's, don't know if any of the biodiesel's meet these requirements, but my dealer told me not to use it for whatever reason.
Here is more info on Bio-D and Kubota so facts are straight.

Sidenote- Sulfur is/was always ADDED at some % to diesel. It has ZERO sulfur in it naturally. Bio-D never had any either and only does now when it is added.

Kubota said:
Biodiesel Blend Approval: B20
Notes:
Kubota approves the use of B20 biodiesel fuel as a blend component that meets the minimum requirements provided by the American Society of Testing and Materials, Standard ASTM D6751-09b, or most current published standard, specifications. The petroleum diesel fuel base must meet ASTM D975 specification. To ensure fuel quality, biodiesel fuels and blended fuel should be purchased from a BQ-9000 accredited producer or certified marketer.

References:
http://www.kubota.com/F/AboutKubota/prl91.cfm

http://www.kubota.com/service/BioDiesel.aspx (incluces models that can use up to 20%Bio-D)
Sheep Farmer your model as well as OP's model are NOT listed as ok with Bio-D. This is usually because of use of cheaper (non nitrite ) rubber O rings, fuel lines, gaskets, diaphragms etc. and not because of any combustion issues. Better for the engines...... bad for the rubber :(

*added this post to Ultimate sticky in Tractor Operating section

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Since the bio diesel has been brought up. And this pertains to the new tier 4 engines. I've been told by a three different manufacturers that using bio diesel in a tier 4 engine will void the warranty. I would assume it is the same for kubota as well. Just something to consider ;)

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

Since the bio diesel has been brought up. And this pertains to the new tier 4 engines. I've been told by a three different manufacturers that using bio diesel in a tier 4 engine will void the warranty. I would assume it is the same for kubota as well. Just something to consider ;)
I may be wrong, But I do believe a number of the tractors in the list provided by Kubota as capable of B20 or less bio-d blend capable are Tier 4 models.

It appears Tier 4's that do have issue with Bio-D again the problem is not combustion issues but issues with ancillaries added to the engine to reduce combusted "diesel" particulates. Makes since when you see the science behind it. The science is to remove "diesel pollutants" which minimally exist with Bio-D use yet unfortunately causes other chemical reactions that conflicts with the ancillary device. Simple case of one solution causing conflict with other things.

Last edited:

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere

New Kubota diesels with Tier 4 emissions are compatible with a B-5 Biodiesel. Do yourself a favor and just don't bother running the stuff on newer equipment. With the high fuel rail pressure from the supply pump, it's just asking for trouble.....

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's a quick test to see how bio diesel works. Run a gallon of it through something that uses an ignitor to burn it. Such a a burner for a pressure washer, or torpedo heater. It will spit, sputter, and smoke something fierce :eek: Would you really want to use it in your $20,000 tractor ;)

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Here's a quick test to see how bio diesel works. Run a gallon of it through something that uses an ignitor to burn it. Such a a burner for a pressure washer, or torpedo heater. It will spit, sputter, and smoke something fierce :eek: Would you really want to use it in your $20,000 tractor ;)
Sorry horrible test. These units operate by mechanisms controlled via a photo sensor. The mechanisms that work off of this photo sensor is tuned to diesel fuel. Biodiesel has different opacity etc. there for the mechanisms running off of the photo sensor will be getting wrong information and cause poor burn.

Again the more a burner/combuster is tuned to the nth degree to run off of diesel the less it will work well with Bio-D. Not cause Bio-D is bad fuel though. Any of these things could be designed to run of Bio-D awesomely and/or diesel fuel at the same time if the manufacture desired to do so.

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
My L3200 (non-Tier 4) doesn't seem to care about Bio diesel. I've run straight, B5 and B20 in it. Performance is about the same.

As far as attractants go, it's in storage most of the time and I fill it to the top to minimize the air transfer footprint. I haven't had a drop of water in the unit since I've had it. The separator is whistle clean.

My worries on Biodiesel come from storage longevity and organics contamination of the system.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas

Sidenote- Sulfur is/was always ADDED at some % to diesel. It has ZERO sulfur in it naturally.
Then why did the the Guberment mandate ULSD?? Mandated removal of sulfur from diesel it was to help clean up the air.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
oregon
In Oregon and I think most states you can't buy 100% dino diesel. It's mandated 5% minimum and of course heating oil, red diesel, etc. are all the same and ULSD to boot. That said there is no way it will void your warranty. My truck had B20 medallions on it til I took them off, obviously it doesn't void that warranty either. Bio is here to stay, get used to it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
In Oregon and I think most states you can't buy 100% dino diesel. It's mandated 5% minimum and of course heating oil, red diesel, etc. are all the same and ULSD to boot. That said there is no way it will void your warranty. My truck had B20 medallions on it til I took them off, obviously it doesn't void that warranty either. Bio is here to stay, get used to it.
If that's the case where you live, notice the advice in the above link for tractors out of use for more than 3 months having 5% biodiesel...drain tanks and flush lines. Not sure what is meant by the light mineral oil diesel fuel that they recommend you run through it. Guess the best thing is to run your tractor every day! :D:D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If that's the case where you live, notice the advice in the above link for tractors out of use for more than 3 months having 5% biodiesel...drain tanks and flush lines. Not sure what is meant by the light mineral oil diesel fuel that they recommend you run through it. Guess the best thing is to run your tractor every day! :D:D
That is seriously screwy. The main advantage of diesel was its long term storage. If I have to drain the fuel and lines just to store the machine, it's ludicrous.

Looks like I'm going to have to find a source for straight diesel or some form of jet fuel that I can use in place of it. Luckily Dyess AFB is nearby, maybe I can hook up with them for something! (Nice thing is I get to watch B-1's taking off and landing while I do my tractor work!)

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
That is seriously screwy. The main advantage of diesel was its long term storage. If I have to drain the fuel and lines just to store the machine, it's ludicrous....
that's like at minimum the smallest of the things diesel has an advantage over other fuels.... in fact it too will absorb water almost as easily as bio-diesel. That is why there has been anti-algae additives for many decades before bio-d even became a known word to the public. (water is needed for the algae grow)

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
That is seriously screwy. The main advantage of diesel was its long term storage. If I have to drain the fuel and lines just to store the machine, it's ludicrous.

Looks like I'm going to have to find a source for straight diesel or some form of jet fuel that I can use in place of it. Luckily Dyess AFB is nearby, maybe I can hook up with them for something! (Nice thing is I get to watch B-1's taking off and landing while I do my tractor work!)

What do you think of E85 then:) I've replaced enough carburateur's that I buy marine gas now. (We only get to watch F-15's)

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana

Here is more info on Bio-D and Kubota so facts are straight.

Sidenote- Sulfur is/was always ADDED at some % to diesel. It has ZERO sulfur in it naturally. Bio-D never had any either and only does now when it is added.

Sorry but the above statement is incorrect, sulfur is always present in diesel and is removed during the refining process. Idk about Bio diesel but in the fossil fuel world it is naturally present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Had a bud that made his own bio fuel,,, hated going any place with him in his diesel pickup,, I always had the urge to stop at micky Ds for frys:rolleyes: