Using a gas can that previously had unleaded

zake1000

Equipment
L2800
Jun 18, 2014
Athol, MA
Hi,
I feel a bit dumb asking this question. I've been looking online for a while and can't get an answer.
I have 5 gas cans that I purchased when we had a really bad ice storm (for the generator), and lost power for 6 days. The one that I use currently is marked very clearly, so I can't confuse it, but the pouring spout makes it difficult to pour. With the newer cans that had unleaded in them (been empty for about 5 months now), I am able to tip it upside down easily and release the gas only when I press the adapter on the spout in with the side of the lip of the gas tank (where the lid screws in). this makes it a lot easier and prevents spilling gas over the hood.
Is it ok to repurpose (from now on) one of the gas cans that previously had unleaded in it to now carry Diesel? I don't care about the whole red vs yellow debate that I've seen on other forums. I haven't had any issue filling my current diesel gas can (red) at any of the local pumps, and have seen a lot of other people doing that as well.
thank you.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi,
I feel a bit dumb asking this question. I've been looking online for a while and can't get an answer.
I have 5 gas cans that I purchased when we had a really bad ice storm (for the generator), and lost power for 6 days. The one that I use currently is marked very clearly, so I can't confuse it, but the pouring spout makes it difficult to pour. With the newer cans that had unleaded in them (been empty for about 5 months now), I am able to tip it upside down easily and release the gas only when I press the adapter on the spout in with the side of the lip of the gas tank (where the lid screws in). this makes it a lot easier and prevents spilling gas over the hood.
Is it ok to repurpose (from now on) one of the gas cans that previously had unleaded in it to now carry Diesel? I don't care about the whole red vs yellow debate that I've seen on other forums. I haven't had any issue filling my current diesel gas can (red) at any of the local pumps, and have seen a lot of other people doing that as well.
thank you.
Not sure there is a law, hell in this country there will be soon!:eek: But as long as the can is "clean" on the inside and the diesel filler nozzle will go in it , fill her up.

Here is something you can do, take a couple of pieces of duct tape, place on a hard surface like glass, overlay the word diesel from a computer printer, cut the tape out, carefully place tape on "red" container and paint throw it in yellow......

the can is the can - only you know what is in it.........

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like he said a can is a can, just make sure there is Zero Gasoline in it... check with a burning match... oh wait strike that! :eek:;):D

Just get a can of Yellow plastic paint and give it a paint job just so you don't ever mix them up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
At a hardware store you should be able to find a marker used for marking structural steel. It's like a tube of toothpaste with a small BB in the end that rolls when you put pressure on it. (Once you have a tube you'll use it for things you never dreamed of)

You can print DIESEL or 50/50 or anything else you need the can for and the writing stays on the container. If you mix diesel and gas beyond about 15% gas your injectors might get TOO clean.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Hi,
thank you.
Zake1000,

We have a "red" can, 2 gl I use to top off diesel with. To identify it, I used one of those wide permanent markets and wrote "Diesel only," on the top and sides. It stayed on the can. That way, if someone else picks up the can, they know it's purpose. I also have a larger yellow can but I find that topping the tractor with the smaller can is easier and tends not to spill.

Burt

zake1000

Equipment
L2800
Jun 18, 2014
Athol, MA
Thank you for the replies, but labeling the container is not what I'm worried about. Can I use a container that previously had unleaded gas in it, that has been empty for a few months, to put diesel in it.
Will having previously unleaded in it cause any problems to the tractor?

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I "think" everyone is saying you can and I agree, we've done it and we have also put gas in diesel tanks and diesel in gas tanks, cleaned them out and used them. One of our 300 gallon fuel tanks use to hold gasoline.

While I prefer to use yellow for diesel and red for gas, this has not kept my wife from putting diesel in our ATV or gas in a lawn mower...

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
In answer, sure use it, but waste a little diesel fuel first to rinse out the insides. I use old engine oil cans and do the rinse first. Never had trouble with any.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Everything I'm reading with regard to replies is good advise. Especially like the decal reply, time consuming but good none the less, or even spray painting the container idea good advise + easier. The stores also sell DUCK brand tape in colors so get yellow.
BUT yea you could even use a old gal water or milk jug if needed as long as its clean and dry inside, although not really the best of considerations.

JUST make sure you don't mix-em up with gas. :eek:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
No problem, I do it all the time. I have yellow diesel cans for the tractor, but when I fuel up the PowerStroke, I get 10- 70 cents per gallon discount on up to 35 gallons. Sometimes I can't fit all 35 in the truck, so I put the excess in my atv cans, (like below) & add it later. I'm careful to completely empty the cans before switching fuels, and never had a problem.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/256/d/atv-fuel-cans

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I would make a metal or yellow plastic tag and write diesel on it.
I prefer this method as something dangling will get my attention and remind me to read tag.

I prefer the yellow jug myself, hate the new pour spouts

Doesent matter what you put in jugs as long as its marked.

zake1000

Equipment
L2800
Jun 18, 2014
Athol, MA
Thank you all again for the help with this... feel kind of dumb asking, but better safe than sorry.
I am planning on writing Diesel on the new can (red) with yellow paint, and the idea about a hanging tag would work with me as well, so I'll do that too.
I'm not crazy about all the new spill proof spouts, but the old kind are getting harder and harder to find. I've never had an issue spilling.. I tie my cans down on a section of the tailgate so they don't tip or bounce/slush around when filling them, and so far so good...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good deal a clean can and your good to go. And you can thank stupid people and lawyers for the new style fuel cans!