Use or toss?

xsnrg

Equipment
L2850 with BF500 loader
Mar 27, 2023
Ringgold, VA
After months of stop and go progress getting my Woods Dixie Cutter back together from changing out the lower bearing, I was finally ready to reassemble and realized there was no gasket between the front shaft bolt on plate and the gear box. I ordered one about a week ago and it finally came. Well, one of my boys decided to be helpful and ripped open the envelope/folder the dealer shipped it in. It was a $5 gasket and about $8 to ship it. My question is if I'm using Permatex and put the tear at the top, will I be ok to use it or do I need to order a new one?

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Use it and if it leaks, then order a new one. I bet that it will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
like dr... use it ! when new one comes in, have your son pony up $5 !!
when he whines, say, OK... start turning wrenches and install it .
pretty sure you'll get a fiver .

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I agree Permatex will make it fine but I DO NOT agree with riding the kid's case over his mistake. I'd 2x to 1 rather a kid pitch in and learn from mistakes than stay clear and play video games instead.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Use it.

I've had a few vehicles in my past totally leak free using Permatex and carefully cut "gaskets" from Cheerios, Triscuit, Cap'n Crunch, etc, boxes.
Not that I recommend it. But in a pinch...

It it were me, I'd find some comparably thick card stock. Cereal box, shoe box, etc. Take your new but ripped gasket and trace it on the card stock. Use a sharp X-Acto blade and make a new gasket. The local auto supply should sell gasket material too if you are so inclined. But use Permatex either way.

Fun fact. I rebuilt the clutch-slave cylinder while camping in the mountains on my 1970 Toyota FJ40. Using my girlfriend's rubberbands she had for her teeth braces. The slave cylinder o-ring blew out.

Not kidding. It worked.

We were able to get fluid, but not an Toyota O-Ring. Worked great for months. I tore it apart at home 6 mos later only because I didn't trust it. It didn't leak.

And her dad didn't kill me because I got her back home Sunday night as agreed. That was 1970- something.

And, your kid was trying to help. He learned. Kuddos to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Use it.

I've had a few vehicles in my past totally leak free using Permatex and carefully cut "gaskets" from Cheerios, Triscuit, Cap'n Crunch, etc, boxes.
Not that I recommend it. But in a pinch...

It it were me, I'd find some comparably thick card stock. Cereal box, shoe box, etc. Take your new but ripped gasket and trace it on the card stock. Use a sharp X-Acto blade and make a new gasket. The local auto supply should sell gasket material too if you are so inclined. But use Permatex either way.

Fun fact. I rebuilt the clutch-slave cylinder while camping in the mountains on my 1970 Toyota FJ40. Using my girlfriend's rubberbands she had for her teeth braces. The slave cylinder o-ring blew out.

Not kidding. It worked.

We were able to get fluid, but not an Toyota O-Ring. Worked great for months. I tore it apart at home 6 mos later only because I didn't trust it. It didn't leak.

And her dad didn't kill me because I got her back home Sunday night as agreed. That was 1970- something.

And, your kid was trying to help. He learned. Kuddos to him.
I used that cereal cracker box trick long ago too. Made a couple water pump gaskets for my old rambler in the 70's. Guess we are from that same era and mind set of this will get it going.

I broke the round ball off the end of the clutch cable in my 69 jeep commando back in 78 on a trip in upstate NY. We walking down a long road when we a guy and his wife yelled from his porch to ask what was up. He like me had all kinds of "stuff" and we were able to take a bolt and run a nut on then grind it sort of round then a cable clamp to hook it back on. He took me back to fix it and then we went back to his place for a beer. Wouldn't take a dime for his time and help.

Bill

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Great teaching moment. Teach your boys to not open anything not addressed to them. If you don,t need that piece of equipment right away, I would order a new one.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I used that cereal cracker box trick long ago too. Made a couple water pump gaskets for my old rambler in the 70's. Guess we are from that same era and mind set of this will get it going.

I broke the round ball off the end of the clutch cable in my 69 jeep commando back in 78 on a trip in upstate NY. We walking down a long road when we a guy and his wife yelled from his porch to ask what was up. He like me had all kinds of "stuff" and we were able to take a bolt and run a nut on then grind it sort of round then a cable clamp to hook it back on. He took me back to fix it and then we went back to his place for a beer. Wouldn't take a dime for his time and help.

Bill
I've used 'cereal box' gaskets many times in the past. They've (almost) always worked well.

One time, back in the 60s I had a bike cable break the ball end off. I used a fishing 'split shot' weight crimped onto the cable as a temporary replacement. It got me home.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My Grandad showed me the "box" gasket trick when I was about 12 on a blower for a feed truck. He laid a piece of box on the one mating surface and very gently tapped the edges with a tiny ball pein hammer to cut the thin cardboard. He's one of the few people I still miss and he passed in 1968. My eyes got a little damp while tying this.

Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The young boy's experience is what creates common sense. It's a learned trait. A few thousand more experiences and his buddies, neighbors and friends will comment, "That guy really has common sense"!

Some folks never get the chance to make a mistake and learn something. Be thankful.

xsnrg

Equipment
L2850 with BF500 loader
Mar 27, 2023
Ringgold, VA
Love all the stories of 'McGyvering' to get home :)

With regard to the boy, I was being gracious when I said he was trying to help. He was actually just being nosy about what was in the envelope not addressed to him. Nonetheless, I was not too hard on him :)

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
@xsnrg : Not to hijack your thread, but here's a another fun one:

Early 1980's, two of my work acquaintances, Paul and Vince, drove to Vegas for a fun single-guys weekend in an older Porsche 911. That's pronounced Nine-Eleven. Not Nine-One-One as we know it today. Lol

Anyway, the throttle cable broke on Paul's Nine Eleven. They found some string, ran the string out back, directly to the engine (carb) throttle lever.

Paul sat in the driver's seat and operated the car, while Vince sat passenger and pulled the string to activate the throttle. They said it was pretty easy getting the shift... clutch, throttle combo down to a science because everyone drove manual transmissions back then.

But, they got pulled over for speeding by the Highway Patrol. Paul, who owned the car, blamed Vince, because Vince was working the throttle....

You can see where this was going.

The officer wrote them both a ticket for speeding.

Last edited:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
My Grandad showed me the "box" gasket trick when I was about 12 on a blower for a feed truck. He laid a piece of box on the one mating surface and very gently tapped the edges with a tiny ball pein hammer to cut the thin cardboard. He's one of the few people I still miss and he passed in 1968. My eyes got a little damp while tying this.
My dad did a very similar thing. We (I was the designated watcher) rebuilt an inboard engine when I was about 10 or so. I still remember him using a small hammer on gasket material held down on the surface.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Using a small ball peen hammer was/is a common tool to make gaskets. Lay the material over the area and tap the edges and tap the ball at each bolt hole. I've used roofing paper!

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
@xsnrg : Not to hijack your thread, but here's a another fun one:

Early 1980's, two of my work acquaintances, Paul and Vince, drove to Vegas for a fun single-guys weekend in an older Porsche 911. That's pronounced Nine-Eleven. Not Nine-One-One as we know it today. Lol

Anyway, the throttle cable broke on Paul's Nine Eleven. They found some string, ran the string out back, directly to the engine (carb) throttle lever.

Paul sat in the driver's seat and operated the car, while Vince sat passenger and pulled the string to activate the throttle. They said it was pretty easy getting the shift... clutch, throttle combo down to a science because everyone drove manual transmissions back then.

But, they got pulled over for speeding by the Highway Patrol. Paul, who owned the car, blamed Vince, because Vince was working the throttle....

You can see where this was going.

The officer wrote them both a ticket for speeding.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
It is almost impossible to believe this sad tale of woe.
I agree. But calling it a 'sad tale of woe', is a stretch. LOL.

The story is what they both told me and a whole group my of co-workers. Including our bosses.

Now, since I have a bit more knowledge of such things than I did then: I'd guess that there was a radio call by the officer made to the on-duty Watch Commander. He / She probably made the decision. You know that if you can't get a straight answer and nobody fesses up... take them all to jail. But in this milder case, he gave them both a cite.

It's like pulling a car over with 2 occupants. Inside are stolen goods, illegal firearms and dope. Both occupants deny any knowledge. So, they both go to jail. The courts will sort it out.

Or, in my case, Paul and Vince were both full of it. They were only work acquaintances. Not my friends. I was married with children and responsible, but they were both single party guys. We were not even close. I only remember their names because they were scandalous, and the story was pretty darn funny. I've told it many times.

One disappeared from work a while later. Vanished. Boss was tight lipped. Was it domestic? Dope? Guns? Who knows. But I'd guess dope. Cocaine and heroin were everywhere in town back then. I'd guess Paul was doing time for something. If he was dead, the boss would have said so. [Edit, it was a strong union job. Lots of ex-cons in the union hierarchy. Company supervision couldn't say anything derogatory. Period.]

But the Nine-Eleven breakdown and throttle part I do believe. Who makes that stuff up? I knew Paul had a 911 and it was in the shop when they got back to work.

I can only guess that in court, the judge only charged the driver, Paul.

To the OP, sorry for the misdirect. I think I'm done with this thread.

Last edited: