Upgrading headlights on L245

Stu

Equipment
L2201
Dec 9, 2015
England
Hi All. I've got a old ZL2201 (L245) it's in great condition for it's age. Obviously it has a few minor issues. I need to sort out the electrics as the lights don't work & it needs a new ignition switch. These are not a problem. My question is as I will be sorting the wiring out I would like to upgrade the crappy original head lights as they only have 35/35w bulbs. One of the bulb holders is broken anyway so does anyone know of a replacement holder that I can use with the origins lights but use a halogen bulb with higher powers (wattage)
Is this possible or will I have to look around to try & find a head light unit that takes halogen bulbs to fit the grill of my tractor?
Being a Diesel engine I assume the battery & alternator will both be up to the task ?? Is this correct or do I need to upgrade these??
Thanks Stu.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi All. I've got a old ZL2201 (L245) it's in great condition for it's age. Obviously it has a few minor issues. I need to sort out the electrics as the lights don't work & it needs a new ignition switch. These are not a problem. My question is as I will be sorting the wiring out I would like to upgrade the crappy original head lights as they only have 35/35w bulbs. One of the bulb holders is broken anyway so does anyone know of a replacement holder that I can use with the origins lights but use a halogen bulb with higher powers (wattage)
Is this possible or will I have to look around to try & find a head light unit that takes halogen bulbs to fit the grill of my tractor?
Being a Diesel engine I assume the battery & alternator will both be up to the task ?? Is this correct or do I need to upgrade these??
Thanks Stu.
Stu,

your alternator should be fine, however if you need to replace the holder for the bulbs, why not move into the LED world? The amp/watt draw will be a lot less too. Unless you are trying to keep it original, the LED and holder will be less strain on the ol' girl and provide more light than the original. It might take a little work to get the right mount for the hole in the bonnet!:D:)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Lot's of talk on this subject in the Fabrication forum.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Stu, I needed headlights on my L305. I got some LED's off of ebay and made brackets to make them fit.

Here's an idea of how it went.

Attachments

Stu

Equipment
L2201
Dec 9, 2015
England
Thanks for the replys. I'm not too worried about keeping it 100% original but would like to keep it fairly original. I have thought about using LEDs as good powers for low drain on battery etc however I have seen any that look simmiler to the originals. I did think of making brackets up to mount some on the weight carrier on the front but would like them in the grill like the originals.
At least I now know I don't have to upgrade the electrics I'm sure I will find something suitable.
Thanks Stu