Upgrade?????

albertcaballero

Equipment
B3200 w/FEL, 3rd function, shredder, Box Blade, ssqa HD25 Post hole and Grapple.
Apr 19, 2012
Leming, Texas
I have a B3200 with fel,mmm,backhoe and grapple and a box blade that I am thinking about selling to upgrade to a MX5800. I have bigger shredding jobs that I have been picking up and a bigger shredder and more hp sure would help. So now I was thinking I will need a upgrade a trailer too. I have a 16 ft. trailer now. Not sure what size of trailer I will need if I go with a gooseneck. Or should I get a zero turn to have my dad help with the easier parts of these jobs?

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I have a B3200 with fel,mmm,backhoe and grapple and a box blade that I am thinking about selling to upgrade to a MX5800. I have bigger shredding jobs that I have been picking up and a bigger shredder and more hp sure would help. So now I was thinking I will need a upgrade a trailer too. I have a 16 ft. trailer now. Not sure what size of trailer I will need if I go with a gooseneck. Or should I get a zero turn to have my dad help with the easier parts of these jobs?
when you say bigger jobs, how big. how big is your MMM/shredder? with a 5800 you should be able to pull a 8' without any difficulty I would think. 10' even. 12 would be where you will start working it I would think. personally haveing a zero turn is very handy as they are fast maneuverable which are very important.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A MX5800 and a Zero turn are like asking if a burger or a side of beef is better? :confused:

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
A MX5800 and a Zero turn are like asking if a burger or a side of beef is better? :confused:
I've seen guys that use their tractor to do the bulk and a zero turn with a big deck to outline and get up and under the wire of their fence line and get between t-posts.....don't know why exactly, but they do. I guess less time messing with a weed eater if they are trying to keep their fence line totally clear. I was actually giving thought to rigging up a fenceline weedeater rig to run on the front of my tractor for this exact purpose....mostly cause I'm lazy. lol

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Color me very confused. Isn't an MX5800 a mid size, 50-70ish HP tractor? Isn't a 'zero turn' a lawn mower? A 16 foot trailer is a struggle for a midsize tractor?

I must have forgotten my meds because this conversation is in the Twilight Zone for me...

albertcaballero

Equipment
B3200 w/FEL, 3rd function, shredder, Box Blade, ssqa HD25 Post hole and Grapple.
Apr 19, 2012
Leming, Texas
ok sorry let me say that im trying to finish some of these jobs quicker. Should I add a zero turn with my dad on that and the B3200 with me on it or should I jump up to a MX5800

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
ok sorry let me say that im trying to finish some of these jobs quicker. Should I add a zero turn with my dad on that and the B3200 with me on it or should I jump up to a MX5800
are you just field cutting or finish mowing? is your dad normally on your project sites anyway?

1 good zero turn would outpace 2 regular tractors at finish mowing given same deck sizes. I have a scag cheetah that I wouldn't give up for anything 72" cut and does it fast as hell. comfy too.

what speed are you cutting at on the b3200. if it's 3-4 mph, definitely get a zero. even if your dad isn't there to run the other piece you can jump on the zero and save time. if you are wanting to cut wide paths, then the 5800 is the way to go. how many acres are you cutting or trying to cut on a given day.

also, again, are you finish, or rough cutting?

I have reasonable experience with SCAG and Kubota zero turns.

albertcaballero

Equipment
Apr 19, 2012
Leming, Texas
Mostly field cutting, Dad always want to help but only one tractor. I mainly need help on the bigger jobs like 8-15 acres.

albertcaballero

Equipment
Apr 19, 2012
Leming, Texas
oh I forgot to say that I dont use the MMM and dont really use the backhoe anymore either. I posted the MMM for sale and will be posting the backhoe as well very soon. I thought of selling those items and maybe getting a zero turn. that might fix my problem there.