Unexpected money

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
As it turns out, during my refinance on the house, I don't have to make a payment to a mortgage company until March. Not sure how I should stimulate the economy, but a couple of implements might get ordered. Just have to come up with a story to tell the wife when she notices less room to maneuver around the hay shed. What's a good way to spend 2400 bucks on a BX?

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
What do you need to get done?

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
What do you need to get done?
99% of my tractor time is moving rock/millings, mowing, and light forklift duty. I have a small driveway, and lots of outbuildings. If I need something, it's usually in the back of the line, and I have to move 2 or 3 other implements to get to it. I have a 3PH sprayer, Titan ballast box, forks, spike aerator, and a trailer mover. I suppose a pine needle rake would come in handy, every other tree in the pasture is a daggum pine tree.

I'm considering the pine needle rake, a landscape rake, post hole digger, box blade, or land plane. I honestly have very little need for a box blade or land plane at this property, and I've been told Virginia doesn't have much need for anything related to snow removal. The state doesn't even have plow trucks. As much as I'd like a snow pusher, it'd just take up space.

Another consideration is I have 3 Harley Davidson's, and there is always something I could upgrade or customize on one of them.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
As it turns out, during my refinance on the house, I don't have to make a payment to a mortgage company until March. Not sure how I should stimulate the economy, but a couple of implements might get ordered. Just have to come up with a story to tell the wife when she notices less room to maneuver around the hay shed. What's a good way to spend 2400 bucks on a BX?
1. Apply toward the principal if you have a loan on the tractor. 2. Put in the kids college fund. 3. Reduce the mortgage loan amount. I work for a bank during the day. Don't tell anyone.

Reactions: 2 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Just remember to only upgrade and not add to your inventory. Wives may not know the difference, but they can count.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've been told Virginia doesn't have much need for anything related to snow removal. The state doesn't even have plow trucks. As much as I'd like a snow pusher, it'd just take up space.
What part of the state are you in? If east or south of Richmond - snow is a foreign entity for sure, in my part of the state, we can get 12" or .12 at a time. Last year we had zippppo and the year before that 9" at one pop. As for the plows? The mention of the white stuff and the state trucks come out with chains ready!!!!!

A landscape rake is a very useful tool - it rakes rocks and feathers dirt, I find it very useful when getting ruts filled on a gravel driveway.

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
How about one of these Bigtoolracks?

I can see where a lot folks would get a lot of use out of something like this. Myself, I'm on 1.5 acres and the garage is a short walk from anywhere. I do run a chainsaw to trim branches, but I just throw it in the FEL bucket.

Reactions: 1 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I can see where a lot folks would get a lot of use out of something like this. Myself, I'm on 1.5 acres and the garage is a short walk from anywhere. I do run a chainsaw to trim branches, but I just throw it in the FEL bucket.
Have you watched the videos for that thing? It is 300 pounds so it can act as ballast, it can carry 600 pounds, it has a 2" receiver built in. Man, if I had some extra money right now I would get one of these.

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Have you watched the videos for that thing? It is 300 pounds so it can act as ballast, it can carry 600 pounds, it has a 2" receiver built in. Man, if I had some extra money right now I would get one of these.
When I first got my tractor, I spent quite a bit of time checking this product out, as I initially thought I HAD to have it. I decided to wait awhile, and I honestly have not used any tools outside of my chainsaw and 2 adjustable wrenches in relation to the tractor. I have a ballast box with a built in trailer hitch, as well as a separate trailer mover for the 3PH. One of those is always on the tractor unless the sprayer is. My next purchase (already planned and budgeted for) is a quick hitch. I think I'm going with the Tractor Supply one. My wife thinks I should pay on a bill, but I don't like that idea at all. I tend to shop for hours and hours and hours and compare tons of like items before I buy, so for now it's business as usual.

You should have asked Santa for a big tool rack. Sounds like you'd get a lot of use out of one.

Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
When I first got my tractor, I spent quite a bit of time checking this product out, as I initially thought I HAD to have it. I decided to wait awhile, and I honestly have not used any tools outside of my chainsaw and 2 adjustable wrenches in relation to the tractor. I have a ballast box with a built in trailer hitch, as well as a separate trailer mover for the 3PH. One of those is always on the tractor unless the sprayer is. My next purchase (already planned and budgeted for) is a quick hitch. I think I'm going with the Tractor Supply one. My wife thinks I should pay on a bill, but I don't like that idea at all. I tend to shop for hours and hours and hours and compare tons of like items before I buy, so for now it's business as usual.

You should have asked Santa for a big tool rack. Sounds like you'd get a lot of use out of one.
By the time Santa got to my home he ran out of toys. Maybe next year.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
if I had any money (and don't) I'd invest it in something that's gonna pay me back. Maybe not now, but eventually.

Kids college fund is a good suggestion, if you have kids. Of course you probably already know but they're pushing kids heavily to go to college. Some of them get a "free" ride; most of them (us) dont or didn't. My dad made $450 over the threshold for any assistance. I didn't go to no college unless you consider Kubota University a college.

I wish I could have invested what I put into my drag racing bad habit into something else that actually appreciates; land real estate etc. Pretty sure I could have bought 3 houses with what I poured into that expensive hobby. Now if I can get my GF to understand the concept of 'investing' (rather than spending on shoes).....

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Now if I can get my GF to understand the concept of 'investing' (rather than spending on shoes).....
You may be able to get her to start investing. But.... she's still gonna be buying shoes, boots, or sandals. I think that is something in a women's DNA.

Just like tools are in a man's DNA.

My wife and I ended up in a standoff one day here at the house.

I went through the cupboards and got rid of all the cheap pots and pans that the kids destroyed while learning to cook.

Wife got mad and threatened my tools in the garage. I countered that threat with her boot and sandal collection in her closet. 😱😱😱

I will say this. I have considerably more money invested in tools then my wife does with her boot and sandal collection.

About $30,000 more to be specific. But don't tell her that 😱😱😱😱😱

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
By the time Santa got to my home he ran out of toys. Maybe next year.
Santa bypassed our place entirely. We had the fire cooking in the fireplace all night. He would have singed his beard.

Clint from Flint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2350, B26 TLB, Covington Plant., Landpride Tiller, Hustler Flip-up
Dec 12, 2020
Flint, Texas
99% of my tractor time is moving rock/millings, mowing, and light forklift duty. I have a small driveway, and lots of outbuildings. If I need something, it's usually in the back of the line, and I have to move 2 or 3 other implements to get to it. I have a 3PH sprayer, Titan ballast box, forks, spike aerator, and a trailer mover. I suppose a pine needle rake would come in handy, every other tree in the pasture is a daggum pine tree.

I'm considering the pine needle rake, a landscape rake, post hole digger, box blade, or land plane. I honestly have very little need for a box blade or land plane at this property, and I've been told Virginia doesn't have much need for anything related to snow removal. The state doesn't even have plow trucks. As much as I'd like a snow pusher, it'd just take up space.

Another consideration is I have 3 Harley Davidson's, and there is always something I could upgrade or customize on one of them.
How about a chainsaw to get rid of the darn pine trees....I won't have pine trees on my property.

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
How about a chainsaw to get rid of the darn pine trees....I won't have pine trees on my property.
I have a perfectly good chainsaw, but I'm not a tree guy. It would be nice to get rid of the pines, but it ain't gonna happen unless I open the wallet for someone else to haul off the trees and get rid of the stumps. I cannot burn that many trees, as I work, and it would take me about a year to cut and burn all the trees out there.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
If I need something, it's usually in the back of the line, and I have to move 2 or 3 other implements to get to it.
Used industrial heavy duty steel pallet rack shelving.

Put your things on pallets and store them on the shelving so you can access them without moving everything else.

Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I guess it depends on if you have a mortgage goal of paying it off early or going the full term.
Running my own business I always felt like someone had a grip on me having the bank own my property. I worked hard and paid off the mortgage and own what I have. I good feeling I can tell you.
I did the same thing with my kubota 5 yr loan. Paid it early.
I agree with Jimmy, put it towards the principle and knock the loan down.

Reactions: 1 users