UDT or Gear Oil

oldbeek

Equipment
B8200d with loader
Jan 28, 2015
lancaster CA
21st century 80/90 would be a synthetic like Ansoil syn 80/90. Had a specialty gear shop and tried to use Amsoil 80/90. Great flow characturistics but it would leak out of the 20th century seals and disappear. my B8200D specs. 80/90

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I havent had good experience with synthetic 80/90. Customers wanted it in diffs and manual transmissions, next thing i was changing it out as gear noise was more noticeable. Although it works in extreme cold. But gear noise to me is things wearing.

Udt is an excellent oil, if it was engineered to be used in front axle,im thinking its to have only one oil in the driveline to keep inventory simple.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
21st century 80/90 would be a synthetic like Ansoil syn 80/90. Had a specialty gear shop and tried to use Amsoil 80/90. Great flow characturistics but it would leak out of the 20th century seals and disappear. my B8200D specs. 80/90
That's kind of like blaming the skillet when your food gets burned. :D

I havent had good experience with synthetic 80/90. Customers wanted it in diffs and manual transmissions, next thing i was changing it out as gear noise was more noticeable. Although it works in extreme cold. But gear noise to me is things wearing.

Udt is an excellent oil, if it was engineered to be used in front axle,im thinking its to have only one oil in the driveline to keep inventory simple.
Don't know what brand oil you have tried but, Amsoil has 7 different weight oils listed for manual transmissions and only one is 75w90. Maybe it was the wrong weight oil for your application. I'm really curious about the brand you used. I have used over 200 gallons of Amsoil over the years in about every application you can think of and never once have I had a increase in the noise level. :cool:

Just like everything else we deal with synthetic lubricants are not created equal. There's only one winner and then you have everything else.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I dont recall the gear oil used, i do recall the truck. I know it well.there was a rash of people switching over to synthetic at that time,im thinking penzoil 75 w 90. The noise level increased significantly. Now im talking maybe ten years ago.
On the same note, ford trucks started running synthetic in the rear ends, was a lot of blown limited slips, repair involved clutch pack, flush and refill with conventional limited slip gear oil.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I heard that Ford tried to go to syn. in their rearends without using the additive for limited slip diffs. Once they started back with the additive everything was fine.

I don't know how much of that is true.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Guys, I posted in a similar thread a while back but it looks like I haven't commented on this one yet. UDT vs Gear lube in front axle, PLEASE READ.

My dad has a Kubota L48 that developed some leaks on the front axle seals so he switched to gear lube to extend the life before the seals needed replacing (gear lube leaks slower at least). He changes his fluids according to the Kubota manual (hours).

Over the winter, BOTH axle pivot caps popped out when the axles FROZE due to water in the axle. No he doesn't mud bog or submerge the machine under normal use, it was mostly condensation from what we could tell.

What I have noticed is that UDT will absorb water and mix with it more easily than Gear lube. As a result, you will end up with a milky slurry in super cold temps if you have water and UDT in the front axle, rather than solid ice + gear lube.

Both gear lube and UDT will lubricate your axle fine, however after seeing the issues in super cold temps and condensation, I will ALWAYS use UDT in my machine!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Using hydraulic oil in the front axle of 4wd tractors has been a common practice by most of the major tractor manufacturers for the last 20+ years. As long as you use the correct oil specified for your tractor you should have no problems. And NO, Amsoil is not the only company that produces good oils, contrary to what some people would have you believe.

bstrom

Equipment
B2620 FEL364
Jun 19, 2009
ME, USA
I just refilled my front axle at 400 hrs with super UDT. I don't get the logic about gear oil being better. What - the rear axle and transmission doesn't have gears that pull hard? I don't have any leaks and I work it pretty hard with the loader and 4wd. If you follow the logic of super UDT not being a good gear lube then why would it be used in the transmission/rear axle, where there are certainly gears - other than for the hydraulics? Those gears are different somehow?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
One thing to consider. If you drain the axle at the outdrives, it will take longer for gear oil to make it's way into those lower cavities. Be sure to recheck the fluid level after a little use.