Twin Pedal Mod B1550

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Awesome job! I'm jealous! I'd love that on my L3710! This is one of the few things that JD does on their hydrostat machines "better" than Kubota.

Great engineering, design and implementation.

So....how much to fab one for a L3710? I think you could easily make this a pretty profitable business venture. Start with one for one model like you have already made, and expand by working with potential customers (me) and increase your models.

I know my L series could cover dozens of years and models with one kit....

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Very nice work!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just curious,
How well does the distance of travel match on the 2 pedals?
Do the pedals match in how much force is required to push it?
Is it as big of an improvement as you had hoped for?

100inchhammer

Equipment
B1550, 54" Deck
Feb 28, 2016
Lake Milton, Ohio
Wolfman, my measurements from pedal to pivot and linkage to pivot points were very close to original so I had similar travel and resistance. To the touch, both feel the same, if I did want to change that I could move the linkage to a different hole, but it feels very normal, it's also smoother in operation in reverse with my pedal than forward with the factory pedal so I like where it's currently set. The only modification I'm going to make is adjusting the linkage farther apart to bring the pedal back further in its neutral position. So to answer your first two questions, yes the travel and force feel just like you are operating the forward factory pedal.

Your 3rd question I can only answer as to my own personal preference. Upon buying my Kubota (my first ever) I found there isn't much I dislike. The only dislike I have is the heel pedal for reverse, if there was any other thing I would change ithe would be to have a full floating mower deck, with the casters only engaging the ground over high spots. So for me, having the forward mounted reverse pedal is amazing. I have great control of my reverse speed and movement without any awkward control. It's like driving your car and using your brake and gas with your right foot...it feels normal. (the videos I posted on you tube (3 videos make sure you watch all 3) were not after practicing or adjusting. They were my first operation with my hand and in the seat). To me using the heel pedal for reverse is like using your heel in your car to apply the brakes, it's just awkward and not smooth. I've done it for over a year thinking I'm not use to this and after time it will feel right. It never did. So yes, it is everything I hoped for and more, I had concerns that the added pedal and friction of the pivot may not let the factory pedal return to neutral or the pedal would not look good enough. I had made plans to add a return spring if needed, but there is no need at all. I think after I paint it and purchase another rear pedal cover it will look factory. For me, it made it a new tractor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the info! :D
It's always nice when a plan comes together! ;)

hiho silver

Equipment
Orange Tractor L3901
Nov 28, 2016
Midwest US
Outstanding job! I am impressed. If you decide to explore doing this for the L series I would certainly be interested in buying from you.

100inchhammer

Equipment
B1550, 54" Deck
Feb 28, 2016
Lake Milton, Ohio
Thank you, Hiho. There was another gentleman on here who also asked about a different B series other than mine.

If you could, take some pics of the pedal and the under side of the floorboard. I can give you my number and you can text them to me. I'll have to find someone local who has your tractor to do the job though. That may be the hard part.

hiho silver

Equipment
Orange Tractor L3901
Nov 28, 2016
Midwest US
Thank you, Hiho. There was another gentleman on here who also asked about a different B series other than mine.

If you could, take some pics of the pedal and the under side of the floorboard. I can give you my number and you can text them to me. I'll have to find someone local who has your tractor to do the job though. That may be the hard part.
Just sent you a PM.

kubotauser

Equipment
2008 BX24 w/loader, backhoe, snowblower
Dec 2, 2016
Big Rapids
The Forward and Reverse Pedals on the Orange tractors are designed by a moron! I bought my BX24 sight unseen. Just found out that I couldn't use the Back pedal due a knee replacement that went bad. I would have never bought it for that reason. I would much rather have a Green tractor where the pedals are side by side. I wrote to the factory about my dilemma but got a response to contact your nearest dealer - that was very helpful!

I am not as mechanical but am thinking about mounting a vertical lever to the Forward pedal to pull back by hand for reverse. Has anyone else done anything like that, or has another idea?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:

hiho silver

Equipment
Orange Tractor L3901
Nov 28, 2016
Midwest US
I am not as mechanical but am thinking about mounting a vertical lever to the Forward pedal to pull back by hand for reverse. Has anyone else done anything like that, or has another idea?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Can you get your toes under the forward pedal to pull the forward pedal up?

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
I've seen something similar for ATV foot shifters.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Hand-Shifter-Black-Shift/dp/B00WZMQ7HQ
I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to fab something to fit directly on your pedal. Keep in mind, it would be swinging around while using your foot to go forward. My other concern is that I always have my hands full tuning the FEL.

Getting back on topic, I definitely think the twin pedal mod is the way to go. Awesome job and very professional 100inchhammer.
I'll be making something similar (not as clean obviously) for my L48 in the spring. Once the snow melts and the mud dries up. I'm jealous of everyone that gets to work inside on their tractors :(

100inchhammer

Equipment
B1550, 54" Deck
Feb 28, 2016
Lake Milton, Ohio
Thank you all very much. I agree, the rocker style pedal on my tractor leaves a lot to be desired. That's how I backed mine up...I lifted the fwd pedal with my toe.

100inchhammer

Equipment
B1550, 54" Deck
Feb 28, 2016
Lake Milton, Ohio
After a full season of mowing 4 hrs/wk and winter work, i have to say the twin pedal mod has worked out great. Go to comment 17 on page 2 for my 3 you tube links of the pedal add on.