Trying to understand specs

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I think most people here understood this already but just to be clear: I'm not getting a new tractor to accomplish work, I'm creating work so I can buy a new tractor :)

I have a vacant lot that I wanna start clearing out. I want to buy a bigger tractor to get the pleasure to do it myself. It would be way cheaper and faster to rent a kx080 for one day. And then hire a bulldozer.
Since that’s the case, I think you should buy the L2501 and get the Turbo kit (44HP/35PTO). Then, after you get bored with that….MX time! ;)

Mike

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I think most people here understood this already but just to be clear: I'm not getting a new tractor to accomplish work, I'm creating work so I can buy a new tractor :)

I have a vacant lot that I wanna start clearing out. I want to buy a bigger tractor to get the pleasure to do it myself. It would be way cheaper and faster to rent a kx080 for one day. And then hire a bulldozer.
I think he should hire a track loader then buy a tractor to clean up after it. Skip the agony of the turbo because he won't need it.

Dan

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Well, with the L2501, adding power, isn’t a problem. My L2501 is punching far above its weight class!

Mike
But you sir, are an "OTT Legend".........a True Giant amongst men!

Not all of us "mere mortals" have the "skill set" you do.

Paul

Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
But you sir, are an "OTT Legend".........a True Giant amongst men!

Not all of us "mere mortals" have the "skill set" you do.

Paul
I’m not sure about that but, any mere mortal can get the Turbo Kit for the L2501.

IMG_8633.jpeg

It’s available to any gear-head minded L2501 tractor owners. ;)

Mike

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
There aren’t
The issues with Regen:

1) It adds several thousand dollars to the price of the tractor. If you do not need a 25+HP tractor, you are paying extra for HP that you do not need and a more complicated emissions system to handle the extra HP that you do not need. If you need the extra HP, then it is just an additional cost for what you need.

2) It is a more complex system; and therefore, there is more to go wrong. Plus, there will eventually be some additional costs associated with the particulate cannister having to be cleaned after thousands of hours of use.
There aren’t too many people who will keep a compact tractor for thousands of hours of use, so canister cleaning/replacement is a non issue for most owners.

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
Since that’s the case, I think you should buy the L2501 and get the Turbo kit (44HP/35PTO). Then, after you get bored with that….MX time! ;)

Mike
They have turbo kits?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
They have turbo kits?
Sure if you have a fat wallet, lots of time to burn, and a machine shop in your garage.

Dan

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
Except, you don’t need the machine shop, the Turbo Kit is a 100% bolt-on affair with simple hand tools and about 3 hours of your time….and the L2501 with the Turbo Kit is $2K cheaper than the L3901 and $4K cheaper than the L3902.

It’s just not a bad option if you’re not opposed to aftermarket parts and loss of a warranty (if applicable).

Mike

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
^^^^
Except, you don’t need the machine shop, the Turbo Kit is a 100% bolt-on affair with simple hand tools and about 3 hours of your time….and the L2501 with the Turbo Kit is $2K cheaper than the L3901 and $4K cheaper than the L3902.

It’s just not a bad option if you’re not opposed to aftermarket parts and loss of a warranty (if applicable).

Mike
Yes a bit of hyperbole but I value my time and loss of warranty and Kubota support on my new tractor at more than $4k. It's an interesting project and the results are revealing but I don't think its a good fit for the average owner operator.

Dan

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Yes a bit of hyperbole but I value my time and loss of warranty and Kubota support on my new tractor at more than $4k. It's an interesting project and the results are revealing but I don't think its a good fit for the average owner operator.

Dan
Hyperbole? Nah.

Personally, I think a 3 hour installation for up to a 45% increase in power from a Turbo Kit is definitely worth "most" folks time. Especially, for those guys operating in the high elevations where their tractor performance is suffering and need forced induction to restore/gain lost power from the factory N/A engine.

Yes, the loss of warranty is a certainly a compromise when considering a Turbo Kit. But, that factory Kubota warranty isn't infinite. Its 24 months. 2 years. That's it. Plus, take a poll! How many Kubota owners use/need their warranties? Not many. These are great tractors, very reliable and very robust machines.

The Turbo kit option is an alternative for folks that don't want to buy a new higher HP tractor and/or deal with emissions equipment (which may or may not have long term consequences). So yeah, not for everybody but, certainly an alternative to consider.

Mike

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Hyperbole? Nah.

Personally, I think a 3 hour installation for up to a 45% increase in power from a Turbo Kit is definitely worth "most" folks time. Especially, for those guys operating in the high elevations where their tractor performance is suffering and need forced induction to restore/gain lost power from the factory N/A engine.

Yes, the loss of warranty is a certainly a compromise when considering a Turbo Kit. But, that factory Kubota warranty isn't infinite. Its 24 months. 2 years. That's it. Plus, take a poll! How many Kubota owners use/need their warranties? Not many. These are great tractors, very reliable and very robust machines.

The Turbo kit option is an alternative for folks that don't want to buy a new higher HP tractor and/or deal with emissions equipment (which may or may not have long term consequences). So yeah, not for everybody but, certainly an alternative to consider.

Mike
Tell you what, if you had a turbo kit for my L3830, I’d have already ordered it! And be waiting on the edge of my chair for the UPS man. I appreciate what you’ve done and shared with your experience with the L2501. PTO Hp is king.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hyperbole? Nah.

Mike
I think you will find the power train warranty on a L2501 is 6 years. My 300 hour L3901 is not even halfway there.

Dan

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
Not on your Basic Warranty (2 years). Powertrain, sure....and have you read the exclusions on your limited powertrain warranty?

Mike

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Taking your idea a step further.... there are RENTAL shops all over the nation where you can get a stump-grinder for the limited time you need it.

You get a purpose-designed stump-removal tool which does a good job and you do not have to store the thing for 90% of its lifetime..... hence losing value by the time you get rid of it.

Infact, if you need a small excavator... you can RENT one of those too ;)
Rent....rent.....rent...
Does not work for me in most cases.
Call and reserve.
Not available that day.
Rental place is 45 minutes away (1+30 RT).
1/2 day shot for pickup, 1/2 day shot for return.
Couldn't finish,.....back to rental gig next week.
NOT FOR ME!

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
If you say so. I remember reading a TON of exclusions.
But, I'm also a guy that doesn't have KTAC.

Mike

Last edited:

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Last few posts on the warranty prompted me to check warranty coverage for my L2501 HST purchased fall of 2019. No KTAC.

Basic standard limited. 24 months 1500 hours which ever occurs first

Limited power train 72 months or 2000 hours which ever occurs first, which includes Diesel engine, which does NOT not include external engine components.

Emission design and defect warranty coverage
Non-road engines rated under 19kW (25 hp) 200O hours or 2 years , which ever occurs first. Most fuel and exhaust related components appear to be covered under this warranty.

Typical list of exclusions such as abusive operation, improper repairs, unauthorized mods etc etc.
Wear items , brakes. filters, light bulbs, belts , etc.

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
^^^^
If you say so. I remember reading a TON of exclusions.
But, I'm also a guy that doesn't have KTAC.

Mike
I realize you are justifiably proud of your work so I will be polite. Now you are being disingenuous. Its not what I say its what the warranty says:

Driveline:

4 wheel drive front axle assembly, and all gears, seals, bearing, etc., contained within, clutch housing (except clutch disc), transmission case, and rear axle housing and everything contained within, and hydraulic pumps and valves associated with driveline operation. Does NOT include external parts such as shift cables, linkages, steering, etc.

Diesel Engine:

Valve cover, cylinder head, cylinder block, oil pan, timing cover, crankshaft, flywheel housing, and the parts enclosed therein.
Does NOT include external engine components including, but not limited to: fuel, electrical, cooling, intake, oil/lubrication, and exhaust components. Note: Some components are covered by emissions warranty.

See the emissions warranty pertaining to your engine for a list of covered components.

Emissions Related Components also covered as noted in the Power Train Warranty

A list too long to reproduce here and some of it is not applicable to a L2501 but it includes most of the air intake system, intake manifold, injectors, pumps, sensors, hoses, clamps, wiring, etc.

Length of Warranty for Service Parts

Service parts are warranted for 90 days from date of purchase. However, if the part is installed on a unit which has more than 90 days remaining on the applicable warranty, the part is warranted for that remaining time. If the part was installed by an authorized Kubota dealer, the labor to replace that part is also included in the warranty coverage.

In other words on an L2501 as long as you maintain the tractor, do not abuse or misuse it and a bearing in the transmission goes belly up destroying the transmssion Kubota will fix or replace it at their expense and all replacement parts and labor are warranted for the remainder of the warranty period. If you have modified the tractor by installing an unauthorized turbocharger that warranty is void and you are on the hook for all parts and repairs.

Same for an engine failure,

Same for a front and rear drive axle failure

Same for an air intake and fuel delivery system failure

Its no skin off my nose if someone wants to void their warranty. But they should think long and hard about what they are giving up and the possible repercussions.

Dan

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
LOL!!!

There’s a lot of exclusions listed…

I’ll still be here in 6 years when your precious limited powertrain warranty has expired and also, when my voided limited powertrain warranty was set to expire. My best guess is…that neither of us will have needed it. That’s the simple fact. But, if it makes you sleep better at night, more power to you!

Mike

Reactions: 2 users