Trying to make the tractor leak

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Every time I use the tractor the bottom of it gets covered in hydraulic fluid. It can leak as much as half a gallon a day. It also seeps out while parked. But I can't find where it is coming from.

Is there a way to put pressure on the system to increase the flow to a point where I will be able to see it? It seems to be somewhere beside the brake pedals but there is a mess of pipes there. I had my brother bounce the 3pt with the topper on but that didn't help.

I want to sort it out before I change the fluid and filters.

Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
It's probably not a good idea to boost the pressure to find the leak, it could end up causing more somewhere else.
I believe most tractors have more than one hydraulic pump, which means multiple circuits. My L48 for example has 3, I'm not sure what yours would have but I'd assume 2.
You may need to clean the area that's covered and !et dry first. If you can't find where it's seeping from. Then the next step would be lay clean cardboard under the area so you or a helper doesn't have their head under there when it squirts! Slowly try each system but one at a time. You said you already tried the 3 point hitch, so that means the steering or the loader circuit could be at fault.
Keep in mind if the leak is caused by a worn line, chances are it will be on the top where you can't see. Possibly a stone caught between the floor boards and the lines.

I hope this helps,
Good luck

By the way, pictures might help too!

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Well, I did the newspaper trick last night but it rained. So baby powder will be the next try:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I use a can of brake cleaner. Just spray the underneath to where it's totally clean, then do as suggested previously.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
In the past I've had success by:
1. Clean and degrease the area
2A. Wrap/tape sections of paper towels around fittings.
2B. Tape paper towel on various vertical surfaces at different heights along the surface or near casting joints.
3. Run tractor for just a few minutes and check for leaks.

Of course UV leak detection, baby powder and others also work, but the key is to start off clean and then only run enough to see the initial leak taking place. Once the entire surface is flooded, it will be very difficult to find the root cause.

Good luck.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Once the entire surface is flooded, it will be very difficult to find the root cause.

Good luck.
This is the problem. I can't make it leak, but every time I look under it everything is soaked. Gonna try the baby powder tomorrow. It does it while parked too

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Partner, this sentence does not make sense to me. "I can't make it leak, but every time I look under it everything is soaked."

Maybe the answer is in the question, "How often do you look under there?" Because if it has soaked everything, it's obviously leaking somewhere.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just from where you're talking I would suspect steering controller or connection to it. ;)

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Just from where you're talking I would suspect steering controller or connection to it. ;)
You could be on to something there. I never thought of turning the power steering. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get near it because of the weather these last few days and trying to fit a new stove for my parents.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Finally got back to this. There is a leak where the rubber pipe from the secondary hydraulic oil filter joins onto the metal pipe at the base of the steering column. I was surprised to see that it is held in place with just a jubilee clip.
Hopefully, that is the only one.

And I remember now, I hate the smell of baby powder :D

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Glad you found the leak!

Was the rubber hose bad or the clamp loose?

mpsmith60

Equipment
L3901
Jan 13, 2019
West Georgia Area
www.diymyway.net
In the past I've had success by:
1. Clean and degrease the area
2A. Wrap/tape sections of paper towels around fittings.
2B. Tape paper towel on various vertical surfaces at different heights along the surface or near casting joints.
3. Run tractor for just a few minutes and check for leaks.

Of course UV leak detection, baby powder and others also work, but the key is to start off clean and then only run enough to see the initial leak taking place. Once the entire surface is flooded, it will be very difficult to find the root cause.

Good luck.
That sounds like a good tip! I'll remember if my tractor develops a leak. Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Finally got back to this. There is a leak where the rubber pipe from the secondary hydraulic oil filter joins onto the metal pipe at the base of the steering column. I was surprised to see that it is held in place with just a jubilee clip.
Hopefully, that is the only one.

And I remember now, I hate the smell of baby powder :D
Yep the return from the steering controller. ;)
That line is just clamped because it's a low / no pressure return line.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Leak fixed. Cut an inch off the pipe and adapted the jubilee clip so that it would tighten properly. Finally got the service done. How this tractor kept going I'll never know. I'll post pics when I get them resized.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
1. fuel filter
2. fuel filter
3. all shiny new

ugha.jpg

uhg2a.jpg

shinya.jpg