TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
All I can think to say at this point in this thread, is...

I buy a lottery ticked once in a while, only because I realize if I don't buy ONE ticket, I have no chance of winning...one ticket, 100 percent change from nothing to something.

Yes, this relates to this thread if you think about it... :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
I cross my chains when i pull any trailer, will it keep the trailer off the ground if it comes unhooked ?, maybe..maybe not ?, from what i personally have noticed is no..it will not keep it off the ground if chains are crossed..or straight. unless the chains are so short, that would stop the front of trailer from hitting the pavement ?, then no..it will not stop it. same goes for the safety chains being too short, if this is the case, you will not be able to make sharp turns without bending tailer tounge or breaking the safety chains. i do know for a 100% fact, safety chains either crossed or straight ?, WILL NOT KEEP THE TOUNGE FROM DROPPING ALL THE WAY DOWN ONCE THE TRAILER TOUNGE CATCHES TOW TRUCK HITCH SLACK !. now..if you are pulling forward down a road, load weight on trailer tounge ?, then yes..it will craddle it, BUT !!!, once the trailer's tounge catches up to the towing truck ?, then yes...the safety chains WILL NOT craddle the trailer tounge, and stop it from dropping all the way to the pavement. safety chains are not a solve all, keep everyone safe..THEY ARE A BACK UP SAFETY FEATURE..THIS..AND THIS ONLY. If you hook the trailer up correctly ?, then this means the less you need to worry about

Last summer i had my sister pull my jet ski, while i pulled my small camper, before we left the camp ground, i hooked up my jet ski to her truck, checked all latches, safety chains, everything, we got back to my house, and she told me when i was getting out of my truck..she heard noises while we were on the freeway home coming from the back of her truck ?, hmm..i walked around to the back of her truck to unhook my jet ski, sure as shit..the coupler was sitting on top of the hitch ball..but not latched down on it ?..how the heck that happened i have no idea ??..i always lift up on trailer tounge or use the jack to lift tounge up to make sure its attached solid on ball !!, somehow in this case, the latch got loose, and road the whole 1 1/2 hrs just sitting on the hitch ball ??..I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS TOOK PLACE ??!..BUT THANK THE LORD IT NEVER FELL OFF THE BALL ?!..THIS JET SKI IS LIKE BRAND NEW, 20 HRS ON IT ( 2015 YAMAHA WAVERUNNER ), not a scratch on it ( at that time ). soo..all you folks that feel the need to cross..or not cross your safety chains ?..IT DOES NOT MATTER...IF YOU DO NOT MAKE SURE THE LATCH TO THE BALL IS CONNECTED CORRECTLY !..please...PLEASE..CHECK..DOUBLE CHECK...TRIPPLE CHECK..MAKE SURE YOUR LATCHES ARE SUCCURED TO THE BALL !.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
All I can think to say at this point in this thread, is...

I buy a lottery ticked once in a while, only because I realize if I don't buy ONE ticket, I have no chance of winning...one ticket, 100 percent change from nothing to something.

Yes, this relates to this thread if you think about it... :ROFLMAO:
In your analogy you expect NOT to win. With crossing the chains....the inference *by experts* is that it WILL catch and cradle the trailer tongue (patently untrue in many cases).

There are no safety concerns with the lottery ticket. Crossing chains in 'hopes' of catching an unattached trailer tongue ( giving you that one in ten thousand 'chance') and 'feeling good about it' is about as useful as buying that lottery ticket. States do not 'require' you to buy a lottery ticket, but some DO require you to cross your chains (despite it being pure folly in most set ups).

Yes: .0000000000 is no chance
But: 00000000001 is so close to no chance as not to be distinguishable.

Yet folks allow themselves to be forced to comply and conform to nearly anything these days. Many are easily fooled by the 'experts' or worse 'themselves'.

The real issue is the trailer tongue coming loose/dislodged to begin with. THAT is what should be addressed. By the time you need 'safety chains' things have gone horribly wrong and crossed or not....the best you can hope for is that the trailer stays with the vehicle in one form or another.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
In your analogy you expect NOT to win. With crossing the chains....the inference *by experts* is that it WILL catch and cradle the trailer tongue (patently untrue in many cases).
NO, not quite.

I realize the chances of winning are nearly zero, BUT my chances of winning by buying the lottery ticket improved by 100 percent when I bought the ticket.

Same with crossing chains. If crossing chains MIGHT help in a worst case event, why not cross them? Like with the lottery ticket, they can only help when crossed, if crossing them helps at all.

Can't win a lottery prize if you don't buy a ticket. Can't expect crossed chains to help you if you don't cross them. In both cases, the chances of winning the lottery or needing the help crossed chains MIGHT give you, are slim.

But you never know...

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
NO, not quite.

I realize the chances of winning are nearly zero, BUT my chances of winning by buying the lottery ticket improved by 100 percent when I bought the ticket.
100% of .00000000001 is .00000000001!

Do whatever makes you feel 'good'. ;)

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
100% of .00000000001 is .00000000001!

Do whatever makes you feel 'good'. ;)
Yes, but the reality is 100 Percent chance over no chance is still HUGE. Regardless of how small the chance is. I think you miss this point.

Just playing with numbers I suppose. But WHY NOT maximize one's chances, however slight? Something versus nothing is a huge difference.

Some choose to ignore the probabilities...I accept them for what they are. AND play them to my benefit when I can.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Yes, but the reality is 100 Percent chance over no chance is still HUGE. Regardless of how small the chance is. I think you miss this point.

Just playing with numbers I suppose. But WHY NOT maximize one's chances, however slight? Something versus nothing is a huge difference.

Some choose to ignore the probabilities...I accept them for what they are. AND play them to my benefit when I can.

Fooling yourself and conforming to regulations that do the same.

A 100% 'chance' of realizing a .0000000001 'probability'. You'll never see that supposed benefit.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Fooling yourself and conforming to regulations that do the same.

A 100% 'chance' of realizing a .0000000001 'probability'. You'll never see that supposed benefit.
But the reality is still there. Splitting hairs of course. But why not maximize the odds?

Whatever the odds might be. Of course, one may not do that just to prove a point to himself...but people do win the lottery...and making a small difference in the safety chain hook up might also make the difference once. Probably not, but MAYBE.

What's the big deal anyway? It is all about maybe or maybe not. If maybe exists, then why not try to compensate for it, even a little. Is it a big deal to cross safety chains? Not in my world...

Carrying the thought further, why even use safety chains? Almost never needed right? Your argument can be carried as far as you like, as can mine...but the bottom line is your either do your best to minimize the odds of something bad happening, or you decide not to worry about it and hope for the best.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
But the reality is still there. Splitting hairs of course. But why not maximize the odds?

Whatever the odds might be. Of course, one may not do that just to prove a point to himself...but people do win the lottery...and making a small difference in the safety chain hook up might also make the difference once. Probably not, but MAYBE.

What's the big deal anyway? It is all about maybe or maybe not. If maybe exists, then why not try to compensate for it, even a little. Is it a big deal to cross safety chains? Not in my world...

Carrying the thought further, why even use safety chains? Almost never needed right? Your argument can be carried as far as you like, as can mine...but the bottom line is your either do your best to minimize the odds of something bad happening, or you decide not to worry about it and hope for the best.
There is no 'harm' in it of course. When performed as you elect to do (personal choice)....fine. When 'required by LAW' under penalty of fines, then NO.

Would you play the lottery if you were forced to by law? Knowing full well the 'return' (winning the jackpot) would be about 146 million to one! But if caught not playing the lottery you would be fined 100%.

You would probably question the value of that....while the State is arguing (yeah but you MIGHT win).

Does probability take on a different meaning then?

That is my point. I couldn't care less what people CHOOSE to do with safety chains (cross them or not). Just hope they understand its a nearly fruitless (feel good) endeavor.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

We tried "hope and chains" once. 😂
As I recall, it did not accomplish much!

Last edited:
  • Haha