TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I cross the chains.

Is it going to save me from a problem? It might, but I really do not know, there are a lot of factors that can affect things.
Is going to cause a problem? None I am aware of. The only downside is potentially making the chains too short on full turns, easy to check.
Is there any reason to not do it Vs do it? None that I am aware of other than the turn issue.

To me, it is like have an umbrella in my PU. In 20 years, I might of used in a few times. Usually, I combat run between drops, just not worth the trouble to deal with it. But it is there if I need it. Like crossing chains.

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I cross the chains.

Is it going to save me from a problem? It might,
To me, it is like have an umbrella in my PU. In 20 years, I might of used in a few times. Usually, I combat run between drops, just not worth the trouble to deal with it. But it is there if I need it. Like crossing chains.
^^^^^

If you had an umbrella that only deployed one in 500 times would you still continue to carry/use it on the OFF chance it might work when you need it? Because those are probably the odds your crossed chains are going to catch and cradle your trailer tongue.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
^^^^^

If you had an umbrella that only deployed one in 500 times would you still continue to carry/use it on the OFF chance it might work when you need it? Because those are probably the odds your crossed chains are going to catch and cradle your trailer tongue.
I have had an umbrella in the door pocket of my truck that I bought in 2005, flashlight too. So yup. I also carry insurance and have not ever made a claim.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I have had an umbrella in the door pocket of my truck that I bought in 2005, flashlight too. So yup. I also carry insurance and have not ever made a claim.
^^^^^^

I think you may have missed the point. I am not arguing for the likelihood of your trailer tongue ever coming loose to begin with. Rather the idea that the chains are going to 'catch' it when/if it does. It rarely if ever works in most set ups.

Analogous to that would be a flashlight with dead batteries or an umbrella that won't open. You can carry them if you like (feel good measure), but unless something actually works (when you need it) what is the point. And why have laws (in some States) requiring something that is unlikely to have any benefit?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
great you just HAD to say....Analogous to that would be a flashlight with dead batteries or an umbrella that won't open ....

grabbed flashlight to see under the tractor, batteries ARE dead ! And here I thought LEDs lasted 'forever', sigh

AND

could have used an umbrella as it's raining here...

Hmmmmm WHAT is your 3rd 'offering' ???? :oops:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
^^^^^^

I think you may have missed the point. I am not arguing for the likelihood of your trailer tongue ever coming loose to begin with. Rather the idea that the chains are going to 'catch' it when/if it does. It rarely if ever works in most set ups.

Analogous to that would be a flashlight with dead batteries or an umbrella that won't open. You can carry them if you like (feel good measure), but unless something actually works (when you need it) what is the point. And why have laws (in some States) requiring something that is unlikely to have any benefit?
I think you missed the point I was making as well. LOL
I'd rather hope the crossed chains did something, just like I hope my umbrella opens and flashlight works. I'd be bummed if I failed to cross chains and something tragic happened, it rained and no umbrella or an an emergency where I needed the flashlight.
I have seen no evidence where crossing chains caused problems. I have seen a smidgen where it 'might' be of benefit. I also wear clean underwear to the ER if feasible. An umbrella might keep me dryer than no umbrella and a flashlight might let me see better than no flashlight.
A chance of a benefit is better than no chance. If handed a free lottery ticket, would you refuse it?

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
You're all missing the point: the OP told you all to do something a certain way and yinz are going to do it.

Without fail.

• Haha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I think you missed the point I was making as well. LOL
I'd rather hope the crossed chains did something, just like I hope my umbrella opens and flashlight works. I'd be bummed if I failed to cross chains and something tragic happened, it rained and no umbrella or an an emergency where I needed the flashlight.
I have seen no evidence where crossing chains caused problems. I have seen a smidgen where it 'might' be of benefit. I also wear clean underwear to the ER if feasible. An umbrella might keep me dryer than no umbrella and a flashlight might let me see better than no flashlight.
A chance of a benefit is better than no chance. If handed a free lottery ticket, would you refuse it?

Far be it from me to interfere with the wild hopes, dreams and chances anyone wants to pursue. I get what you are saying. It is better to have a 1 in 156,000,000 chance than none. Or is it?

I'm just going to continue to live a world of reality and happy that you are comfortable in yours. (y)

Carry on Sir.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
You're all missing the point: the OP told you all to do something a certain way and yinz are going to do it.

Without fail.
Hagrid, I believe PA requires them to be crossed also.

I cross mine because local law requires it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hagrid, I believe PA requires them to be crossed also.
There's no mention of chains in this PA utility trailer inspection regulations document. There is mention of a breakaway system that sounds very similar to the law in Montana.

Here's a link to PA's Laws & Regulations for anyone interested in finding anything that confirms the requirement of chains, crossed or not, for trailer use.

Last edited:

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
The safety inspection can be done with the trailer disconnected from a tow vehicle, so crossing chains aren't mentioned there.

With no common sense, the legislators wrote this:

(d) Safety chains.--Whenever two vehicles are connected by a ball-and-socket type hitch, or pintle hook without a locking device, they shall also be connected by two safety chains of equal length, each safety chain having an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the towed vehicles. The safety chains shall be crossed and connected to the towed and towing vehicle and to the tow bar so as to prevent the tow bar from dropping to the ground in the event the tow bar fails or becomes disconnected. The safety chains shall have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The safety inspection can be done with the trailer disconnected from a tow vehicle, so crossing chains aren't mentioned there.
The inspection mentions a road test so it would seem logical to have a reference to safety chains in the document.

Can you provide a reference for the (d) Safety chains that you mention above? Those in PA might find it useful.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
The inspection mentions a road test so it would seem logical to have a reference to safety chains in the document.

Can you provide a reference for the (d) Safety chains that you mention above? Those in PA might find it useful.
Here ya go. Like NY , the inspection is just for condition and safety. The vehicle regulations list the crossing.

Pennsylvania Statutes Title 75 Pa.C.S.A. Vehicles § 4905. Safety requirements for towed vehicles
(d) Safety chains.--Whenever two vehicles are connected by a ball-and-socket type hitch, or pintle hook without a locking device, they shall also be connected by two safety chains of equal length, each safety chain having an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the towed vehicles.  The safety chains shall be crossed and connected to the towed and towing vehicle and to the tow bar so as to prevent the tow bar from dropping to the ground in the event the tow bar fails or becomes disconnected.  The safety chains shall have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Not required to cross here in NC. Just required to have chains or cables (plural in both cases so more than one) with the exceptions noted.

§ 20-123. Trailers and towed vehicles.
(a) The limitations in G.S. 20-116 on combination vehicles do not prohibit the towing of farm trailers not exceeding three in number nor exceeding a total length of 50 feet during the period from one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset when a red flag of at least 12 inches square is prominently displayed on the last vehicle. The towing of farm trailers and equipment allowed by this subsection does not apply to interstate or federal numbered highways.
(b) No trailer or semitrailer or other towed vehicle shall be operated over the highways of the State unless such trailer or semitrailer or other towed vehicle be firmly attached to the rear of the towing unit, and unless so equipped that it will not snake, but will travel in the path of the vehicle drawing such trailer or semitrailer or other towed vehicle, which equipment shall at all times be kept in good condition.
(c) In addition to the requirements of subsections (a) and (b) of this section, the towed vehicle shall be attached to the towing unit by means of safety chains or cables which shall be of sufficient strength to hold the gross weight of the towed vehicle in the event the primary towing device fails or becomes disconnected while being operated on the highways of this State if the primary towing attachment is a ball hitch. Trailers and semitrailers having locking pins or bolts in the towing attachment to prevent disconnection, and the locking pins or bolts are of sufficient strength and condition to hold the gross weight of the towed vehicle, need not be equipped with safety chains or cables unless their operation is subject to the requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Semitrailers in combinations of vehicles that are equipped with fifth wheel assemblies that include locking devices need not be equipped with safety chains or cables. (1937, c. 407, s. 86; 1955, c. 296, s. 3; 1963, c. 356, s. 2; c. 1027, s. 2; 1965, c. 966; 1971, c. 639; 1973, c. 507, s. 5; 1975, c. 716, s. 5; 1977, c. 464, s. 34; 1981 (Reg. Sess., 1982), c. 1195; 1993, c. 71, s. 1; 1995 (Reg. Sess., 1996), c. 756, s. 15; 1997-148, s. 8.)
G.S. 20-123 Page 1

Brakes are required on trailers with GVW > 2 tons except house trailers which have to have brakes if over 1K lb. Breakaway brakes not required.

§ 20-124. Brakes.
(a) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop such vehicle or vehicles, and such brakes shall be maintained in good working order and shall conform to regulations provided in this section.
(b) Repealed by Session Laws 1973, c. 1330, s. 39.
(c) Every motor vehicle when operated on a highway shall be equipped with brakes
adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle, and shall have all originally equipped brakes in good working order, including two separate means of applying the brakes. If these two separate means of applying the brakes are connected in any way, they shall be so constructed that failure of any one part of the operating mechanism shall not leave the motor vehicle without brakes.
(d) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least one brake which may be operated by hand or foot. For purposes of this section, the term "motorcycle" shall not include autocycles. Autocycles shall be subject to the requirements under this section for motor vehicles.
(e) Motor trucks and tractor-trucks with semitrailers attached shall be capable of stopping on a dry, hard, approximately level highway free from loose material at a speed of 20 miles per hour within the following distances: Thirty feet with both hand and service brake applied simultaneously and 50 feet when either is applied separately, except that vehicles maintained and operated permanently for the transportation of property and which were registered in this or any other state or district prior to August, 1929, shall be capable of stopping on a dry, hard, approximately level highway free from loose material at a speed of 20 miles per hour within a distance of 50 feet with both hand and service brake applied simultaneously, and within a distance of 75 feet when either applied separately.
(e1) Every motor truck and truck-tractor with semitrailer attached, shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels, except trucks and truck-tractors having three or more axles need not have brakes on the front wheels if manufactured prior to July 25, 1980. However, such trucks and truck-tractors must be capable of complying with the performance requirements of G.S. 20-124(e).
(f) Every semitrailer, or trailer, or separate vehicle, attached by a drawbar or coupling to a towing vehicle, and having a gross weight of two tons, and all house trailers of 1,000 pounds gross weight or more, shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle, which shall conform to the specifications set forth in subsection (e) of this section and shall be of a type approved by the Commissioner.
It shall be unlawful for any person or corporation engaged in the business of selling house trailers at wholesale or retail to sell or offer for sale any house trailer which is not equipped with the brakes required by this subsection.
This subsection shall not apply to house trailers being used as dwellings, or to house trailers not intended to be used or towed on public highways and roads. This subsection shall not apply to house trailers with a manufacturer's certificate of origin dated prior to December 31, 1974.
(g) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a trailer when used by a farmer, a farmer's tenant, agent, or employee if the trailer is exempt from registration by the provisions of G.S. 20-51. This exemption does not apply to trailers that are equipped with brakes from the manufacturer and that are manufactured after October 1, 2009.
(h) From and after July 1, 1955, no person shall sell or offer for sale for use in motor vehicle brake systems in this State any hydraulic brake fluid of a type and brand other than those approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. From and after January 1, 1970, no person shall sell or offer for sale in motor vehicle brake systems any brake lining of a type or brand other than those approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Violation of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a Class 2 misdemeanor. (1937, c. 407, s. 87; 1953,
G.S. 20-124 Page 1

c. 1316, s. 2; 1955, c. 1275; 1959, c. 990; 1965, c. 1031; 1967, c. 1188; 1969, cc. 787, 866; 1973, c. 1203; c. 1330, s. 39; 1993, c. 539, s. 359; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2009-376, ss. 10, 11; 2015-163, s. 4.)
G.S. 20-124 Page 2

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I've never raised any objection to attaching chains, crossed or not. From the get go I've only objected to being told that there's only one way to pull a trailer safely, and if you're not doing it that way you're an unsafe idiot. That's all. As it turns out most states have their own rules, some of which make sense and some of which don't.
Checking through the history of this thread, it is very obvious that the belittling (name calling) originated with poster "mcmxi".

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here ya go. Like NY , the inspection is just for condition and safety. The vehicle regulations list the crossing.

Pennsylvania Statutes Title 75 Pa.C.S.A. Vehicles § 4905. Safety requirements for towed vehicles
(d) Safety chains.--Whenever two vehicles are connected by a ball-and-socket type hitch, or pintle hook without a locking device, they shall also be connected by two safety chains of equal length, each safety chain having an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the towed vehicles.  The safety chains shall be crossed and connected to the towed and towing vehicle and to the tow bar so as to prevent the tow bar from dropping to the ground in the event the tow bar fails or becomes disconnected.  The safety chains shall have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning.
Thanks. The heading was useful and it's clear that the laws are different around the country.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Checking through the history of this thread, it is very obvious that the belittling (name calling) originated with poster "mcmxi".
Actually it started with you and your arrogant, know-it-all, your way is the right way, any other way is wrong bullshit.

armylifer said:
Different states have different laws. I have lived in states that did not require the chains to be crossed.
Required or not.......it is simply an exercise in common sense to do so!
It's such "common sense" that only three states require crossed chains and many states don't even require chains at all.

The only sure thing in this entire thread is that state laws differ greatly.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Actually it started with you and your arrogant, know-it-all, your way is the right way, any other way is wrong bullshit.

It's such "common sense" that only three states require crossed chains and many states don't even require chains at all.

The only sure thing in this entire thread is that state laws differ greatly.
"Common sense" ???

Men can have babies!
Men can have abortions!
Boys can use girls bathrooms!
Guns kill people!
Police must be de-funded!
Eating carrots enhances your eyesight!
Crossed chains are for trailer morons!

"Common sense".... died some time ago!

• Sad