Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Well, a quick search for PA trailer safety requirements turned this up:

Pennsylvania Trailer Hitch and Signal Laws

here's the link:

Whenever 2 vehicles are connected by a ball-and-socket type hitch, or pintle hook without a locking device, they must also be connected by 2 safety chains of equal length, each safety chain having an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the towed vehicles. The safety chains must be crossed and connected to the towed and towing vehicle and to the towbar to prevent the towbar from dropping to the ground in the event the towbar fails or becomes disconnected. The safety chains must have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning.

I've always crossed my chains and will continue to do so no matter what anyone else advises.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have tried to see if Illinois law has any requirements about crossed vs uncrossed, yet only I have found thus far is you have to have two safety chains. Yet, as with anything, I could of missed it in the State law.

Reading the arguments on both sides, it seems like the important factor is to make sure you hookup your trailer correctly from the onset to prevent you from having to find out which is the correct method, crossed or uncrossed.
I tried my link above for IL. No mention of chain requirements at all. Sorry.

Y'all might find this informative. Attached as pdf here as well. You can look up for the state that you are interested in. Not sure if it only applies the "RV" pull type trailers or not. My state (PA) list chains MUST BE CROSSED https://fifthwheelst.com › documents › safety › Safety-Chain-Requirement.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC, MX6000HST (sold), BX25TLB (sold), GL7000
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

here's the link:

Whenever 2 vehicles are connected by a ball-and-socket type hitch, or pintle hook without a locking device, they must also be connected by 2 safety chains of equal length, each safety chain having an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the towed vehicles. The safety chains must be crossed and connected to the towed and towing vehicle and to the towbar to prevent the towbar from dropping to the ground in the event the towbar fails or becomes disconnected. The safety chains must have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning.

I've always crossed my chains and will continue to do so no matter what anyone else advises.
I stated that PA requires crossed chains and provided links in post #59. If you operate a trailer in the three states that require crossed chains it makes sense to follow state law.

This is Montana's requirement.

"A trailer or pole trailer with GVW of 3,000 lbs. or less must be equipped with a steel safety chain or cable with a minimum diameter of 1/4 inch must be securely fastened to the towing unit. The safety chain or cable may not be connected to the ball but must be connected to the hitch or other frame member of the towing vehicle to prevent the drawbar from dropping to the ground if the ball, socket, or coupler fails. "

If you read this carefully, the law in MT states that the tongue must be held off the ground in the event that the trailer is no longer connected to the tow vehicle. No cradling required.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I stated that PA requires crossed chains and provided links in post #59. If you operate a trailer in the three states that require crossed chains it makes sense to follow state law.

This is Montana's requirement.

"A trailer or pole trailer with GVW of 3,000 lbs. or less must be equipped with a steel safety chain or cable with a minimum diameter of 1/4 inch must be securely fastened to the towing unit. The safety chain or cable may not be connected to the ball but must be connected to the hitch or other frame member of the towing vehicle to prevent the drawbar from dropping to the ground if the ball, socket, or coupler fails. "

If you read this carefully, the law in MT states that the tongue must be held off the ground in the event that the trailer is no longer connected to the tow vehicle. No cradling required.
Sorry, I missed that post. Admittedly, I did not read the entire thread. My mistake.

I'll throw two more states into that requirement as well. WA, and WI both state it slightly different:

"Attachment shall be located equally distant from and on opposite sides of the longitudinal centerline of the towing vehicle and the trailer."

To me, that indicates that they want them crossed as well?

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

here's the link:

A very clearly written document!
So two or more (?), here on OTT, obviously must believe that the state of Pennsylvania DOT is managed by a group of fools!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Some say they will and some say they won't
Some say they do and some say they don't
Some say they shall and some say they shan't
and some say they can and some say they can't
All in all it's all the same
but call me if there's any change

Thank to Boredom, Procol Harum sometime in the 70's maybe late 60's

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
this is interesting.....

1) what about a trailer OVER 3,000# ? wonder what the law says to that...?

2)would like to see HOW a single safety chain/cable can keep the 'drawbar' ( I assume trailer tongue(?) ) from hitting the ground .

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC, MX6000HST (sold), BX25TLB (sold), GL7000
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
this is interesting.....

1) what about a trailer OVER 3,000# ? wonder what the law says to that...?

2)would like to see HOW a single safety chain/cable can keep the 'drawbar' ( I assume trailer tongue(?) ) from hitting the ground .
The quote above is taken from MCA 61-9-208 Additional Equipment Required on Certain Vehicles

MCA 61-9-304 Brakes Required On All Wheels - Exceptions states that trailers under 3,000 lb GVW do not need brakes but they do need a single chain.

Furthermore, MCA 61-9-305 Automatic Trailer Brake Application Upon Breakaway states that any trailer with a GVW in excess of 3,000 lb must have automatic trailer brakes on every wheel.

The state of Montana has no chain requirement for trailers in excess of 3,000 lb GVW because trailer brakes are required on all wheels.

Should I say that again for all those here telling everyone to cross the chains. Montana doesn't require chains on trailers over 3,000 lb GVW but they do require brakes on each wheel that will operate for 15 minutes if the trailer and tow vehicle separate. So the state of Montana with all of the mountains and passes that we have believes that trailer brakes are important, and a chain is only important if the trailer doesn't have brakes. Perhaps they actually thought about this one.

hagrid

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
A very clearly written document!
So two or more (?), here on OTT, obviously must believe that the state of Pennsylvania DOT is managed by a group of fools!:ROFLMAO:
It's not just PennDOT. This entire state is a huge nest of brazen crooks. Look at the gas tax and then look at the roads. Frigging bridges are falling down. Not hyperbole.