Trailer Advice!!

losttrail61

Equipment
BX23S, 54" MMM
Apr 10, 2019
Colorado, USA
You guys are being harsh...I ran a single-axle 6x12 PJ utility trailer for years, with a single 3500lb axle. I transported my B2920 everywhere with it. That was a great trailer, and it had no brakes at all.

A BX is a light machine and a single axle is fine, if you can get enough length. If you are worried about a blowout, make sure you have a spare tire and a jack. Many times, the tow vehicle's jack will work.

Would a tandem be better? Sure, it might be, but it isn't necessary. They cost more and are less maneuverable.
Just because you didn't experience issues, doen't mean the same is true for everyone else.

My motto is: Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Grew up on a ranch in MT and have seen all manner of trailering issues crop up when not expected.

Plus we now have several generations of 'drivers' that don't even know what a tractor is, much less understand physics of E=mc2 affecting increased mass of moving objects. Seldom is it our own issue that causes problems, but more often the inattention of those around us.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Some/most surge brakes are a pain in the patootie for backing a trailer.

RVS PERF

Equipment
B2601, 54" LP Grapple, 53" Betsco flail, 14' dump trailer
May 8, 2019
North Branch, MN USA
I have a 14' tandem dump trailer that I haul my B2601 in when needed. Room for a couple extra attachments, fork tubes on the side for my pallet forks, and when I get where I'm going I can load and haul material around anywhere quickly and easily. At $10k it wasn't the cheapest trailer I have, but has been one of the most used and most commonly asked to borrow things I have ever had. I registered it at 14k so it is considered commercial and you need a Class A license to tow it even empty by law. Then no one can borrow it! :D

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Just because you didn't experience issues, doen't mean the same is true for everyone else.

My motto is: Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Grew up on a ranch in MT and have seen all manner of trailering issues crop up when not expected.

Plus we now have several generations of 'drivers' that don't even know what a tractor is, much less understand physics of E=mc2 affecting increased mass of moving objects. Seldom is it our own issue that causes problems, but more often the inattention of those around us.
I have a lot of experience towing - own several trailers, enclosed and open, up to my 30-foot gooseneck. I guess I fail to see the issue running a single axle trailer, so long as you are not exceeding the weight capacity of the trailer, the towing rating of the vehicle pulling, and have adequate space?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Troverman... I guess it's like the old argument for/against multiple engines on airplanes:
Theory No. 1: If you have an engine failure the other engine(s) will still get you to your destination.
Theory No. 2: Your other engine(s)will take you to the scene of the accident! :cool:

Regardless of how many axles are on the trailer, they must meet or exceed the load capacity.
Regardless of how many axles are on the trailer, a blow-out is a dangerous situation.
Regardless of how many axles are on the trailer, a flat tire requires stopping on the side of the road.
Regardless of how many axles are on the trailer, your tires should be of HIGH QUALITY AND CONDITION.
Regardless of how many axles are on the trailer, trailer-towing is not for inexperienced drivers.
Regardless of how many axles are on the trailer, a blown tire OVERLOADS THOSE REMAINING and immediately increases the danger.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a lot of experience towing - own several trailers, enclosed and open, up to my 30-foot gooseneck. I guess I fail to see the issue running a single axle trailer, so long as you are not exceeding the weight capacity of the trailer, the towing rating of the vehicle pulling, and have adequate space?
Troverman,
Most of the Northwestern states require tandem axle with one set of brakes on at least one axle.
If I were to load my B7100 on a single axle trailer, I would be breaking the law.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

I think you are meaning momentum equals mass times velocity :)

Either way most people don't get it.

losttrail61

Equipment
BX23S, 54" MMM
Apr 10, 2019
Colorado, USA
Murphy. Murphy is alive and well, looking for opportunity.

A tire blows out unexpectedly. Even new tires can blow out due to any number of factors. Have had it happen to me on a set of tires with less than 100 miles on them. Manufacturing flaw in the sidewall of one tire. Interesting ride for the two horses in the single axle trailer, I'm sure. Wasn't a lot of fun for me either. That cured me of my desire for single axle trailers.

I've towed from a 6' single axle utility trailer to 53' cattle trailer back when I did some trucking for my second oldest brother. Witnessed a lot of stupid out there too.

Just my personal opinion, but I would opt for a little bit more trailer than I need rather than just enough or not quite enough. Redundancy is a good thing to me.

I have a 16' double axle pulled by a 2016 F250 Super Duty 4x4.

But, each to his own. Just giving MY personal opinion.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Troverman,
Most of the Northwestern states require tandem axle with one set of brakes on at least one axle.
If I were to load my B7100 on a single axle trailer, I would be breaking the law.
Wait, what? Are you saying single axle trailers are actually illegal in your neck of the woods, regardless of weight?

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
A base BX tractor weighs 1500-1600lbs. Even a single axle trailer with no brakes is adequate to move this. Now a loader adds probably 500-600 lbs more, and the backhoe adds 600 more. Maybe you have a mower deck (300 more lbs max). There might be a very few single axle trailers with brakes that could handle this load, but you are probably ready for a tandem axle trailer with dual 3500lb axles with brakes on at least one. But depending upon your configuration, a very basic, single axle trailer could work just fine.

Cody27

Equipment
Kubota bx23s
May 2, 2019
Beaverton, Ontario, Canada
Guys keep in mind. The bx23s with loader and bh, full of fuel is under 3000 lbs. The trailer I was referring to is more than adequate to haul the tractor.. it was actually built by the trailer manufacturer specifically to haul a bx25d. It is 100% legal with the tractor on it. This post wasnt about if it's legal. The load is way under the gvwr of the trailer, axle rating and tire load capacity. I was looking for real world experience from people who have towed their bx23s or 25d on a single axle trailer.

This is not a 4x8 tin can Lowes trailer. Most car haulers come with 2x 3500lb axles, brakes on one. This trailer comes equipped with a 6k dexter and surge brakes. Are surge brakes the best? No. Do they work? Yes. And very well compared to no brakes at all. This is not a heavy load, my pickup truck barely feels it on my tandem 5 ton dump trailer.

Anyways, I bought a 6x16 tandem to move the tractor around.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
That's actually a very nice trailer! You can see it has a decent frame on it, nice little dovetail with rugged ramps on it, and d-rings all around for strapping or chaining it down. Most single axle trailers this size have flimsy frames, zero brakes, and a 3500lb axle.

I'd see ZERO issue with hauling a BX on this trailer. The upside of using this to a tandem axle is easier to maneuver, uses less fuel while towing, and probably cheaper to register and insure.

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Ok, my head is spinning. I have a 95 B7100 HST 4x4 (~1,265#) FEL (~477# with bucket) and wheel weights (~150#) = approx. 1,900#.

If I go with a single axle, 78"x14' trailer, it weighs 880# which gives me a 2110# capacity (Theoretically)

If I go with a dual axle 7' x 16' car hauler, it weights 1,800# and give me plenty of capacity at 5,200# and has brakes on both axles.

My tow vehicle is a 1995 Land Cruiser with a full hitch, rated at 5000#/500# tongue weight. The car hauler is the perfect setup, but I'll be towing an extra 1,000# of trailer at around 4,000# where I'll only be towing around 2,900# with the single axle. My towing would be limited to 2 local destinations which are 7 miles and 12 miles away, all on back roads at <40 mph. I would likely be towing the B7100 6x a year, at most and then the trailer would be used for other light uses (building materials, etc) So I see my choice as towing a 1,000# less (and $1,000 less for the trailer) or having a more capable, less maneuverable, and heavier trailer with brakes? Thoughts???

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Ok, my head is spinning. I have a 95 B7100 HST 4x4 (~1,265#) FEL (~477# with bucket) and wheel weights (~150#) = approx. 1,900#.

If I go with a single axle, 78"x14' trailer, it weighs 880# which gives me a 2110# capacity (Theoretically)

If I go with a dual axle 7' x 16' car hauler, it weights 1,800# and give me plenty of capacity at 5,200# and has brakes on both axles.

My tow vehicle is a 1995 Land Cruiser with a full hitch, rated at 5000#/500# tongue weight. The car hauler is the perfect setup, but I'll be towing an extra 1,000# of trailer at around 4,000# where I'll only be towing around 2,900# with the single axle. My towing would be limited to 2 local destinations which are 7 miles and 12 miles away, all on back roads at <40 mph. I would likely be towing the B7100 6x a year, at most and then the trailer would be used for other light uses (building materials, etc) So I see my choice as towing a 1,000# less (and $1,000 less for the trailer) or having a more capable, less maneuverable, and heavier trailer with brakes? Thoughts???
Your conclusion is the point I was trying to make above. Why tow extra weight and burn more fuel and spend more when you don't need to? I guess if you planned to upgrade to a larger tractor down the road, or wanted to haul other things on your trailer than maybe the larger one makes sense. Otherwise, the single axle looks good to me!