Tractor won't start

ToddC

Apr 3, 2011
Hastings, MI
I have a m7950dtc, I finally put a block heater it, I knocked out the freeze plug let the antifreeze leak out the hole, put the heater in and filled the antifreeze. Then started it topped of the antifreeze. I let it run for about 15-20 min, no leaks everything worked like normal.
Closed everything back up and was proud of myself for finally getting done.

Went out today about a week later, and it looks good the light came on, I let the glow plugs warm up. Went to start it and nothing everything goes black and I turn the key back to try again but everything stays black. Waited a few minutes and tried again light came on then tried to start everything goes black again.
Seems like a short I looked but didn't see any loose or broken wires.

I put the battery on the charger for a while and tried again same thing happens.
Sorry so long but please help

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
did you reverse the battery cables /install battery reverse facing of OEM?

If for sure not that..... try jumping it from another battery to see if coincidentally your battery went bad.

ToddC

Apr 3, 2011
Hastings, MI
I didn't do anything to the battery but I did notice the negative was a little loose when I hooked up the charger. The battery is about a year old, I will let it trickle charge tonight and try tomorrow. I hope that is it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm betting broken plate in the battery, take it to an auto parts store and have them load test it. ;)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
... I did notice the negative was a little loose when I hooked up the charger. ...
That could do it. Also check the ground to the frame (or where ever the ground goes.). Definately take battery for load test as Wolfman suggest too.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Remove negative cable at both ends, clean cable ends and where it bolts to engine/ frame. Also clean/replace bolt. Perform the same on positive cable. Then take battery for testing. The symptom you are describing is a loose or corroded connection. Or a broken circuit within battery. If its battery, it is an explosion hazard. Stop charging. Connect voltmeter directly to battery and crank, if voltage takes a dump its battery.
Good luck-wear safety glasses at least.

ToddC

Apr 3, 2011
Hastings, MI
Ok hoping it's the battery, the one I have is about 15 months old from TSC it's a 4dlt about $150 battery. where do you recommend getting the new battery from
Thanks Todd

ToddC

Apr 3, 2011
Hastings, MI
I took the battery to be tested at two places, thought the first place may have made a mistake and both said it passed to it home hooked it up and everything worked. Not sure what happened, but it works.
Thanks for all of the help

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sounds like it was that loose battery clamp you mention early on. You finally got it clean and tight. Nice when you can get you machine running at virtually no cost.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Is going to happen again, unless you cleaned both ends of both cables. If you did, should be trouble free. I just had to fix corroded cables on both my winch and plow pump on my truck. Cleaned an hosed it down with fluid film. Should be good for a while, even under truck in the salt.