tractor security and dealing with possible theft.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi all, we have had fair few tractor and plant theft in our area recently, no so much large kit , moreso compacts tractors and mindiggers etc,also implements.I was i thinking on more possible security steps to help deal with this growing trend.
From my conversations with locals, it appears that a lot of this equipment is being stolen to order and then shipped out very quickly to other european locations, need i say more.:eek::mad:

Anyway, i was wondering wether it was feasable to put gps trackers in the fuel tanks to help if the machines happen to take an unoffical holiday overseas.:eek::mad:
May pingup when at sea ports etc.
any one have any thoughts or suggestions on this issue.

rgds
rob

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Rob I don't see why it would be a problem as long as you can hide it and have a power source. But then remember, the OL can get on line with the assonated soft wear and find you are and what your doing and,,,, WAIT how comes his tractor is headed towards the pub:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Eric,
Lojack is a fairly good device, but it has a limited coverage area, it does not work everywhere, not even in about 1/2 the US.
I don't know of any device that would work everywhere.
While a GPS receiver is really easy, a GPS transmitter is tough, and if it's under cover or in a shipping crate it's not going to work.
GPS devices are also not global, they don't work when you move them out of their regional area.
Putting the device under the dash would work just fine no need to go to the expense and aggravation to try and put it in the tank, no ones going to look for it.

I would suggest just putting a really loud car alarm on it, and insure it!

Last edited:

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Not sure if this is happening over your side of the pond guys but even machines with serious chains and padlocks are not safe.
It appears that liquid nitrogen is being used on security devices to makes an easy break, so that rules out chaining the tractor to bedrock with a seriously strong lock and chain:eek:
the lenghts theese crooks go to:mad::mad:

rob

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep there are thieves everywhere, just a lot more in the big city! :mad:
It's just sickening when the scum balls hit you.
I got tired of the crime in the big city and moved out to where I have a little better chance of defending my possessions, property and family. ;)

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
Locks only keep people honest. Mr Wolfman drives a good point about living where you have a better chance of protecting your own.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah but the scumbags even find their ways out to the sticks too,, I just hope I find the scumbags before the cops do,,, wait I didn't say that out loud did I?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
skeets,
Yes the scumbags are here too, it's just they have to get past several wolves and quite a few dogs to get to anything. ;)
The really cool part about wolves is they don't bark at intruders until after they get em! :p
One way in and one way out makes it a lot easier to reach out and touch them with... well something in the 223 or 450 family!:eek:

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
YEP! I agree chains and locks only keep the honest people... honest! If a theif wants it bad enough they'll figure out a way to get it. There is NO 100% sure fire way to prevent theft, only ways to recover the stolen item faster.

A hidden battery kill switch MAY slow them down and deter them for a while...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes sir and a 7.62x39 works well too if your home. I set up all my trail cams around the house in trees and along the driveway and even hid one in the wood pile facing the garage. It is amazing how many people pull in to the driveway, up to the garage (150 yards off the highway) and turn around and leave. Most I can get the plate numbers and turn them over to a friend that's a State PoPo. Some of the same plates keep turning up. So if we get hit again, at least this time, they have a place to start

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
I'm with skeets and have 2 game cameras set up and I have a driveway alarm also. Problem with cameras is the red infrared flash that can be seen in the dark and hopefully it goes unnoticed. In my area there have been a lot of bobcat skid steer theft because they are left for long periods in parking lots for snow removal.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The sad thing is you can walk into any dealer and rattle off a make and model and walk away with a key in hand. Mention a Bobcat T-200 you'll have a key. A John Deere 990, you'll have a key. A New Hollan TC-50 yep you'll get a key.

Its that easy with no questions asked... Hell with some equipment if its older and has high hours on it all thats needed is a screw driver or a pocket knife.

Just some of the many reason I NEVER leave my equipment on a job site EVER. I always pack it up and take it home at night so I know where it is.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
A friend had two tractors stolen, two different years, while haying. The second one was a M9060 with cab and ac. Last summer someone tried to steel another one of his M90's. SURPRISE!:eek: That odd sounding buzzer you hear when you turn the key is to remind him that he forgot to disable the battery disconnect solenoid that he added and the custom made apparatis that empties a can of pepper spray into the cab of the tractor. He did this to all his equipment. Said he did not mind having to clean the cab before he could use the tractor:D, laughed the whole time.

hampshireborn

Equipment
B7100 HST , B1502M,RK1100 rotovator, finishing mower,wessex trailer,DM topper
I have been looking into some tracker system for mine but its quite costly. I remove the batteries from mine and have a couple of dogs but living in france theft is very low thank god, I did read somewhere that in the south of uk someone had a kubota taken and later his replacement taken as well and he thought that they lifted them in a van as he had removed the battery and had it chained down. such a shame these low life people ruin others lives .

live_roll

Equipment
M108 / BX 25 / RTV 900 / ZD331 / M7060 / B1200 Mx5100 Ford 1500
Dec 16, 2009
Irricana Alberta
I have to agree with skeets. regarding the 7.62 the thieves have the same mentality of a coyote, all it takes is one dead one to be left hanging on the fence to send the message to the others that perhaps they should stay away. I lost My new ( 130 Hours) RX 6010 Kioti to thieves only after they ruined two other vehicles ignitions and tires trying to steal those. The tractor was recovered a week later, and has since been totalled off. We need Judges with actual testicles to perhaps set an example for these crack-heads instead of just sending them off to some posh institution with 3 meals a day and counselling to see why, with their poor misdirected lifestyle they did such bad things..... while in the meantime not only the victims of the crime suffer from the loss of income from their stolen equipment, but the mental and financial anguish these clowns have caused..
My biggest fear is me finding out if and when these crackheads are caught and attending the court and standing up and asking the Judge if he happened to bring his testicles with him that day, and perhaps to set an example................. so I get charged with contempt of court...I ponder perhaps it may be worth it.........

Cheers

Roger

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
" Thieves are everywhere".. My Dad, 79 years old and living by himself, let a family move in with him during the last bad weather, there water had frozen. They stole $1700 from him, his vacation money. Bad thing for the perp, my son in law is a retired police captian who works with John Walsh ( he has connections). The investigating officer is my son in laws cousin. He (perp) should be arrested tomorrow. For his sake, I hope they get him before my dad does. He'll shoot him in a second.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes officer that's what happened,,, yes I came out and he ran and he tripped and fell down 7 or 8 times, :eek: before I could get him lay quietly and wait for you and EMS :D