tractor or diesel ATV

VTsteader

Equipment
B21, bxpanded snow plow, Mackissic 3pt hitch chipper
Apr 1, 2011
SW Vermont
I am looking for some honest advice about which will suit my needs best as I've never owned either. We have 20 acres of mostly wooded hills, not too steep with logging roads already established.

Here's what I need to do:
collect and move firewood - not necessarily skid whole logs, just bucked or split pieces - burn wood for heat
collect sap - want to increase amount of taps up and down road and in woods
move materials - mulch, dirt, stone etc.
remove snow from 500' gravel drive w/a short steep section at the bottom
grade the driveway
general yard cleanup

Here's what I am looking at:
an older B7100 w/FEL newer tires and new hubs - asking $4900
OR a 2007 Arctic Cat 700 diesel never been used - asking $6500

My thoughts were that the atv would do most everything and the attachments and parts for repairs would be less money

But now am leaning back towards the tractor... there is also a 30 yr old L355 w/FEL and "shows" 1500 hours for $6850 that I would consider but I feel that would be too big to move around in the woods and in my yard.

Looking for some insight!

Thanks,
Rob

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Peronally I'd say go with a tractor hands down. You can do everything you'll ever need to and then some with a tractor over a UTV. The over all weight of the UTV is just not the same as the tractor. And I really cant see it being real useful clearing snow due to how light it is. I know you can get snow plows for the UTV I just see there being a traction issue. I'd almost say go with the bigger of the two tractors. Most people, my self included regret not buy a larger tractor from the start.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I agree with eric you also can buy a pond scoop to use on the 3 point for carrying dirt,gravel, backup to firewood scoop up drive off cant do that with atv.Just my 2 cents worth. To me a tractor is much handier. Noticed you already have a fel on the tractor but a yard box sure works great on my B7100.Still agree with eric .handy

Last edited:

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
My opinion is that the Arctic Cat is a big boy toy, whereas the Kubota is a working machine.
One factor is the weight of the rig, as that determines traction and therefore pulling power. The maximum tow is rated at 1000 lbs. My modest little B7001 (17 bhp) has pulled a compact car (2000+ lbs) uphill in the snow without straining or slipping. Plus I have the loader, scraper and rototiller available when I need them.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I gotta agree with everyone. For the work you are talking about you need a Tractor, ATV's are for transportation and fun, sound like you need a workhorse AKA Tractor.

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
VTsteader, the others have given you good reasons to consider a tractor. I don't disagree with their arguments. However, I think there may be more to consider here, and that's, primarily, what percentage of your time will be spent at what tasks.

First, some clarification of terms: An ATV, in common usage, is a machine with a saddle seat. A UTV is basically an ATV-like set of wheels, tires and engine in a golf-cart like frame, and generally has a small dumping pickup-type bed. I think you'd be better served with a UTV than an ATV for what you're talking about, but I'll explain my views of both.

If you're going to be driving up and down the logging roads, pushing small amounts of snow or gravel as it accumulates on the driveway, carrying a couple day's worth of firewood, and so forth for the majority of your time, a UTV or ATV will be much, much faster and comfortable than a tractor. The suspension system and soft seats will let you traverse any dirt road at speeds faster than the tractor can attain on smooth ground, and be comfortable doing it. A 5 minute trip will take you to the end of the driveway and back with your grader or plow twice, or more times. In a UTV, a load of firewood can be tossed in the back at the far end of the property, and you can be back to the house with the bed dumped before the tractor is halfway home. An ATV is stuck pulling a trailer-possibly handier, since it can stay loaded, but will still be faster. Of course, the UTV could pull a trailer and load the dump bed. If you're more interested in speed getting those things done, checking the property over, and things like that, the tractor really suffers in comparison. It is too slow and rough riding.

The drawback to that speed, though, is that ground-engaging tasks really suffer in comparison. A small tractor will pull loads like a plow, disk, or whatever all day long, day in and day out, with no trouble. That same load may roast an ATV or UTV transmission in a half hour session. If you're more interested in digging holes, lifting heavy things, digging in, or through the dirt with equipment, the ATV/UTV is much worse than the tractor. They are not designed for it, and don't have the interface with proper equipment or the drivetrain design to handle these jobs.

The diesel ATV weighs about 850lbs. The UTVs are several hundred pounds more than that. Either will have a locked (or lockable, depending on brand) rear end, and a front drive system that can be locked as well, giving true 4 wheel drive. Most tractors, and none of the ones you've mentioned, do not have locking or limited slip front differentials.

For short sessions of snowplowing, as you've mentioned, the ATV/UTV will be faster at pushing snow off to the side with a plow. They weigh comparable amounts to the smaller tractors, and the UTV is heavier than most. With weight in the pickup bed, it will be significantly heavier. But, again, you're compromising speed for versatility. The "loaders" I've seen for ATVs and UTVs, with some extremely expensive exceptions, are simply laughable. They will not do anything like what a loader on the smallest tractor can. Their capacity is grossly limited. That means you can't dig out a big drift, or grind into a hillside to excavate a new road. The tractor can.

You might consider renting a tractor (or renting a bigger one, if you go that route) if and when it's time to do much real digging, or moving of materials. A skidsteer is better than a tractor at some of those things. Are there any neighbors who could be resources as far as what works well for them, or loan you a machine of one type or another to try out? I hope you're able to figure out what will work best for you. Let us know what you choose, and how it functions.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
VTsteader, the others have given you good reasons to consider a tractor. I don't disagree with their arguments. However, I think there may be more to consider here, and that's, primarily, what percentage of your time will be spent at what tasks.

First, some clarification of terms: An ATV, in common usage, is a machine with a saddle seat. A UTV is basically an ATV-like set of wheels, tires and engine in a golf-cart like frame, and generally has a small dumping pickup-type bed. I think you'd be better served with a UTV than an ATV for what you're talking about, but I'll explain my views of both.

If you're going to be driving up and down the logging roads, pushing small amounts of snow or gravel as it accumulates on the driveway, carrying a couple day's worth of firewood, and so forth for the majority of your time, a UTV or ATV will be much, much faster and comfortable than a tractor. The suspension system and soft seats will let you traverse any dirt road at speeds faster than the tractor can attain on smooth ground, and be comfortable doing it. A 5 minute trip will take you to the end of the driveway and back with your grader or plow twice, or more times. A load of firewood can be tossed in the back at the far end of the property, and you can be back to the house with the bed dumped before the tractor is halfway there in a UTV. An ATV is stuck pulling a trailer-possibly handier, since it can stay loaded. Of course, the UTV could pull a trailer and load the dump bed. If you're more interested in speed getting those things done, checking the property over, and things like that, the tractor really suffers in comparison. It is too slow and rough riding.

The drawback to that speed, though, is that ground-engaging tasks really suffer in comparison. A small tractor will pull loads like a plow, disk, or whatever all day long, day in and day out, with no trouble. That same load may roast an ATV or UTV transmission in a half hour session. If you're more interested in digging holes, lifting heavy things, digging in, or through the dirt with equipment, the ATV/UTV is much worse than the tractor. They are not designed for it, and don't have the interface with proper equipment or the drivetrain design to handle these jobs.

The diesel ATV weighs about 850lbs. The UTVs are several hundred pounds more than that. Either will have a locked (or lockable, depending on brand) rear end, and a front drive system that can be locked as well, giving true 4 wheel drive. Most tractors, and none of the ones you've mentioned, do not have locking or limited slip front differentials.

For short sessions of snowplowing, as you've mentioned, the ATV/UTV will be faster at pushing snow off to the side with a plow. They weigh comparable amounts to the smaller tractors, and the UTV is heavier than most. With weigh in the pickup bed, it will be significantly heavier. But, again, you're compromising speed for versatility. The "loaders" I've seen for ATVs and UTVs, with some extremely expensive exceptions, are simply laughable. They will not do anything like what a loader on the smallest tractor can. Their capacity is grossly limited. That means you can't dig out a big drift, or grind into a hillside to excavate a new road. The tractor can.

You might consider renting a tractor (or renting a bigger one, if you go that route) if and when it's time to do much real digging, or moving of materials. A skidsteer is better than a tractor at some of those things. Are there any neighbors who could be resources as far as what works well for them, or loan you a machine of one type or another to try out? I hope you're able to figure out will work for you. Let us know what you choose, and how it functions.
Very good advice. You need to decide what your priority usages will be, and go from there. I have both- a B7100, and a Honda trx 300 4x4. Both serve their purposes well, but the tractor is more useful, when it comes to work. The tractor will also hold it's value better, and if you study the atv/utv world, once a unit gets some age, it is forgotten by the aftermarket world, in general. If you work the ATV hard, you will probably have to do more maintenance to it than the tractor, and at higher parts prices.
I love both of mine, but if I could only have one, it would be the tractor. Your needs may say differently- you need to decide that.

Eddie Jr.

Equipment
B3200 HSD
Mar 27, 2011
Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada EH!
Great thoughts here ...
I too, have both. I have a Arctic Cat 650 H1, 4wd with 28" tires and let me tell you that thing is riot to play on! They push snow rather well considering the weight (mine is about 900lbs) BUT, since I got my little tractor last year, I have barely touched the ATV. 284 is right that the UTV's are a little handier with the box on the back and wider track pushes snow a little better too. Other then that, the tractor will be 100% more useful then the, albeit more fun and faster, ATV/UTV.
And like Eric said, the bigger ones are even better, I just traded up to a B3200 from my little 22hp Case and I am almost excited for snow again. Not to mention all the landscape and yard work I have planned for it that my ATV would almost no use for other then pulling a trailer.
Hope you find what you are looking for!
M.

bx1500

Equipment
BX1500, TILLER AND FEL
Jan 28, 2010
WISCONSIN
Atv's are great for speed as a surveyor I use mine to haul me and my
gear around but a tractor has way more uses and will last you along
time. Atv's are for hauling people around that's about it. Im not going
to pull out any bushs, Till the Garden or move 3ft. deep snow drifts with
my Atv. Just my two cents hope it helps.

VTsteader

Equipment
B21, bxpanded snow plow, Mackissic 3pt hitch chipper
Apr 1, 2011
SW Vermont
Thanks for all the input guys, very helpful!

I went and test drove the Arctic Cat diesel yesterday, I needed to at least try it, and that thing is BURLY and built for pulling! That being said, after some more thought and deciding to listen to my gut, we're gonna go with a tractor. It just makes sense for all that I am planning to do. As far as speed goes that's not really a concern, I like to take it slow and steady, less mistakes happen that way... So, I'm leaning toward a smaller tractor that won't tear up my yard moving materials around and will get around my woods a bit easier, also I'm thinking I can find a used one that will fit my budget.

I'll take any suggestions on models and we're located in Vermont so if anyone's got any leads they'd be much appreciated!

Thanks again for all the responses!

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
I think you won't go wrong with a tractor. However the price you are looking at seems a little high for a 7100. Perhaps the area you are in demands a higher price. But I've seen a 7100 for quite a bit less. I've even seen the B8200 w/FEL for less. Just got to use a little patience. Let us know how you like your tractor.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I'll throw my 2 cents in at the last minute here too. I've had a Polaris Sportsman 500HO for many years now and I have to admit that it pulls like a mule and runs like a scared rabbit - but there's only so much you can do with it - trust me. I have to agree - hands down too - buy a tractor!!

akranger72

Equipment
Kubota BX25, RB0560 rear blade, BB0548 box scraper, PF10 bucket forks.
Feb 12, 2012
Delta Junction, AK
Get both if you can. I love my 2008 Arctic Cat 700 diesel. Its more of a small tractor to me then an ATV but I have made mods to it so it actually performs good on the trails. It is more of a toy though and a kubota tractor is the way to go for the work you want to do. I recently purchased my kubota B3300SU with loader and backhoe and glad I did. The B3300 is a work horse for a home owner with 5 or 10 acres like I have. I have used it for landscaping, land clearing, septic repairs, snow removal etc.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
VT,,,, Ok you have opted for the tractor,, ok,, now I cant speak for any of the other colors but what I have and Im sure anyof them will do what you need,, IN MHO,, at least the B series maybe 30 horse, I have a BX 2360 and for its size it is a beast, Im sitting on 15 akers with woods and open field and orchard. The sub compact tractors are for the most part brutish little bastards and you will run out of traction long before you run out of power. I would have liked to go bigger but the woods and orchers ruled that out. Again in MHO go as big as you think you can, if you skimp on the size and power range you will never be happy with it,, I as well as almost everyone here have tried to MAKE DO WITH WHAT WE HAVE, sometimes it works and otheres time,, if I just had a little more power,, you know what I mean.
Ok Im done now, so spend your money on what ever color you like, just make sure you get a size that will do what you want when you want it. Also I just thought of something, get something large enough to run a PTO gen set, if your like me we loose power here at least half a dozen times a year 2 years ago, during the big snow it was for 13 days!
Ok just the ramblings of a madman before coffee:D

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
VT, I couldn't stand it and felt I needed to add my 2 cents worth. I live near Ft. Worth, Tx and snow is rare as hen's teeth down here, so pushing snow not in my equation. But when it comes to working, I agree with all previous posters, get a tractor. Be sure to get one with a Front End Loader (FEL). You'll never regret it. It is the most commonly used feature on mine (L35). Mine also came with a backhoe. I don't use it too much now, but have used it to put in two septic systems, dug the foundation for my house and shop, and numerous other small projects. Back to the FEL, I don't own a wheel borrow. That is what the FEL is for. And I'll think you'll be the same way in a short while after owning a tractor w/ the FEL. I also have the skid steer quick disconnect on the FEL and use it for forks and a trailer mover I built to fit the same disconnect. I also have plans to adapt it to a scaffolding so I can work on stuff up high. I also am planning to build a 12' to 15' boom to fit the same disconnet to lift some trusses onto a building I have under construction. Good luck and let us know is 6 months or so how things are going with your new machine.

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
For what it is worth, I too am in Vermont. I have a 650 foot gravel driveway and about 5 acres of lawn. I burn wood for heat. I have a Kubota RTV1100 for plowing snow with a Meyer Drive-Pro plow, and for moving wood. I have a Kubota B1750 with turf tires for mowing and sanding. I also have a Kubota L4330 with a backhoe that I use for lifting logs to cut them up and digging. Both tractors have front end loaders and after market cabs. I have a Ford F250 diesel for towing and a flatbed trailer for moving equipment. Now if Jeep would put a diesel in the Wrangler, I'd buy that too. Each machine has its purpose, though one could make do with any one of them with modifications, for example, the ag tires on the L4330 would have to go in order to mow the lawn, or the snow plow could be mounted on a tractor. I am happy with the fleet approach.