Towing B2601 with 14 ft trailer - SA or TA

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
My Ford F250 is just under 8k. Total will be under 26K.
I be using it for moving around my LX2610, and moving my Jeep Wrangler, Polaris RZR, etc etc.
I'll never get close to the trailer's capacity.
I've broken leaf springs and had too many blowouts with trailer tires. The D rated tires on the 10k trailers turned me off completely.

Thank you for the info.
You're good to go for sure.

I do hear you about the tires. When I specked mine (10K) I made sure to select the contractor grade with E rated 10 ply radials. They sell their standard 10K trailers with 8-ply D rated rubber.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
what any of the stuff weighs doesn't matter, your F250 is prob 10k with a GCWR 23,500. What matters are ratings and combine rating.
Oh, absolutely. I missed that 8K for the truck. That must be the weight of the vehicle, not the GVWR or GCWR. I don't think I've ever heard of declassifying a 3/4 ton to 8K GVWR.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I agree Steve, he's under the 26k limit but likely exceeded the truck limit

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
what any of the stuff weighs doesn't matter, your F250 is prob 10k with a GCWR 23,500. 14k trailer will put you over the limit for the truck in the event you are inspected. What matters are ratings and combined rating.
That's disconcerting.

Door sticker on my truck says 10k GVWR.
Registration says it is 7,950 lbs empty.
Tow capacity in the owners manual says 12,500. I will never get close to 12,500 even with the trailer loaded for my purposes. I can't ever see going over 10k including the trailer and cargo weight combined.
Truck is a 2017 F250 4x4, 6.2 gas, extended cab, 8' bed, aluminum body.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
it doesnt matter "if you never get close" it matters what the two are rated for. What is GCVW rating on the truck? im guessing its 23,500 or maybe less

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
it doesnt matter "if you never get close" it matters what the two are rated for. What is GCVW rating on the truck? im guessing its 23,500 or maybe less
GCVW is 22k.

So, even in non commercial use one cannot pull a trailer if the trailer's max rated capacity exceeds the GCVW? Even though one is not loading to capacity?
... That's about 90 percent of the personal use trailers out there.

Thank you for the information. I might have to get a smaller trailer or bigger truck

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Yep. A bit less (19,500 or 22,000) depending on axle ratio. Northwoods could de-rate the trailer to be "legal". That's not a big deal since the trailer dealers can print out a new sticker for whatever you want. Maybe a small charge to change the registration.

ford pdf attached.

2017 F250 towing.JPG

Attachments

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
agree with @dirtydeed, get the trailer de-rated. You're only over by 2,000 pounds. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal until insurance gets involved or a zealous officer.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
GCVW is 22k.

So, even in non commercial use one cannot pull a trailer if the trailer's max rated capacity exceeds the GCVW? Even though one is not loading to capacity?
... That's about 90 percent of the personal use trailers out there.
Correct. The operative word is weight RATING.

I have no idea why (well, maybe I do) why trailer dealers don't ask what people intend on pulling with.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Lots of great comments…here’s some food for thought…anyone find an actual manufacturer standard for tow rating (for non comm vehicles). Let’s start with that assumption. I’ve seen dudes pull all kinds of stuff with their teeth not sure they are tow rated…did they move it? Yes. Is it a good idea for most to tow that way? Hell no. Next once you start getting into the weight you are pulling/dragging, from a practical sense it’s about controlling the load…is that a rating or based on changing traffic and road conditions including elevation changes turns and bank angles…lots going there if rolling dice at the margined. Balance of the load extremely important as the grade and road conditions change. Safety margin is always helpful. Next between trailer manufactures just pic a weight rating based off the axles…that’s where it comes from…are all trailers created equal with in an axle weight range? Hell no. So what are we really talking about? Saving money or handling the load safely for yourself and others? So let’s now think about the lookeeloos and ‘sole Aires to masingill fortune’ rubber necking texting or whatever…the package of tow vehicle and trailer need to be able to handle a manuever to avoid a bigger problem. That’s the short of it…give yourself and fellow drivers some safety margin or don’t, but then you are that guy, girl, or it who doesn’t. Basically don’t just read the label look at what you are getting (construction of the trailer for what you plan to put on it…does it make sense for the intended uses. If you are changing class of tractor consider how you plan to move it…do you need an upgrade or not? If you skimp, remember that you are the one that skimped. Keep the rubber side down. 🥃

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Correct. The operative word is weight RATING.

I have no idea why (well, maybe I do) why trailer dealers don't ask what people intend on pulling with.
Respectfully, I bought this trailer knowing full well of what I wanted: 7k axles, heavy frame, 8 lug wheels with E rated tires. I wanted more than I would need, instead of pushing the envelope.
I however did not anticipate that buying a higher rated trailer would put me into trouble with the law even though I would never load it to exceed the safe capability for which my truck is rated for.
The whole, big picture is an example of government overreach. That being said, I am a huge supporter of law enforcement. These disrespected officers handle the bad folks in this world. They put their safety on the line, daily. To protect and serve. Some never get to go home after their shift.

That being said, some laws are just crap.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Respectfully, I bought this trailer knowing full well of what I wanted: 7k axles, heavy frame, 8 lug wheels with E rated tires. I wanted more than I would need, instead of pushing the envelope.
I however did not anticipate that buying a higher rated trailer would put me into trouble with the law even though I would never load it to exceed the safe capability for which my truck is rated for.
The whole, big picture is an example of government overreach. That being said, I am a huge supporter of law enforcement. These disrespected officers handle the bad folks in this world. They put their safety on the line, daily. To protect and serve. Some never get to go home after their shift.

Well said regarding the LEO's. I couldn't agree more. I highly doubt that anyone would give you a second look at your rig but, only you can decide what's best for you. If you didn't want to run the risk, you could simply de-rate the trailer to fit under your GCWR. You'd still have all the niceties that you wanted on your trailer.

I went thru the same thing. My tow vehicle is a Ram 3500 cab/chassis dually. GVWR is 14K, GCWR is only 24K. Not much room to play with when the truck itself weighs 10K with nothing in the dump bed.

Understood on the overreach comment. The problem is that their are some real dolts out there that just don't care about others on the road, so we all pay the price for their decisions.

anyway, I hope it all works out for you.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I have a Wolverine 16' aluminum trailer. It weighs about 1200 pounds. dual 3500 pound axles. I got the shortest trailer I could fit the tractor or the race car on because the storage area in the barn is only 18' long. I works well for me but I don't have anything long for the 3point line a rotary cutter for example. However my primary reason for the choice was the fact that it fits to store it inside. In fact I store the race car on the trailer in the winter to get it off the concrete floor and the condensation issues that brings...

Attachments

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

NorthwoodsLife said:
My concern now is wether I have to stop at the hiway scales ??

I'll be traveling cross country, non commercial. Personal use only.
Run through this flow chart ... it might help. Seems to me that you don't need a CDL and don't need to stop at weigh stations. Every weigh station I passed on the 600 mile trip from Sheridan, WY to Kalispell, MT pulling a 15k registered trailer behind an '02 F250 7.3L stated "vehicles over 26,000lb must stop" and mentioned nothing about GCVWR. I didn't stop at any of them and had a CVW of 19,500lb.

cdl_decision_chart_2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
2021 BX2380 w/ a plethora of attachments
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
Ask and you shall receive :ROFLMAO:
Here is a BX on a 16' PJ.
I’ll take a picture this weekend with my BX loaded on my 14’ PJ TA with my BB attached OrangeKrush. Measuring the unit in the garage and it’ll be tight but should work for length inside of the rear ramp, it’ll be more so how to position for weight balance to tow it best!

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Run through this flow chart ... it might help. Seems to me that you don't need a CDL and don't need to stop at weigh stations. Every weigh station I passed on the 600 mile trip from Sheridan, WY to Kalispell, MT pulling a 15k registered trailer behind an '02 F250 7.3L stated "vehicles over 26,000lb must stop" and mentioned nothing about GCVWR. I didn't stop at any of them and had a CVW of 19,500lb.

View attachment 79781
You need to remember it is highly up to the state laws as well as the mood of the cop. Also check to make sure you have the truck registered right for combination weight. It's been a big push around here.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
and mentioned nothing about GCVWR
the signs won't mention GCVW rating, because it is specific to the vehicle. It wouldn't get looked into unless pulled over, an accident, or an inspection. The 26k is a given, but the weight ratings are specific. 26K doesn't matter if you've exceeded GCVWR...

If I was pulled over, the last thing I'd want to do is hand them something else to pile on then have to deal with it on the side of the road.

Hopefully PJ trailers can issue a new de-rated placard for the trailer. Just like @dirtydeed did, when I ordered my trailer I asked the manufacture to de-rate it for GCVW compliance as well, it wasn't an issue. Just took a little bit of homework before buying.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
the signs won't mention GCVW rating, because it is specific to the vehicle. It wouldn't get looked into unless pulled over, an accident, or an inspection. The 26k is a given, but the weight ratings are specific.

If I was pulled over, the last thing I'd want to do is hand them something else to pile on then have to deal with it on the side of the road.

Hopefully PJ trailers can issue a new de-rated placard for the trailer. Just like @dirtydeed did, when I ordered my trailer I asked the manufacture to de-rate it for GCVW compliance as well, it wasn't an issue. Just took a little bit of homework before buying.
Interesting.

But running through the chart above using @NorthwoodsLife truck and trailer he doesn't need a CDL and therefore doesn't need to stop at a weigh station. I'm probably being a bit slow but what would he be in violation of assuming that the max trailer weight doesn't exceed 12.5k, his GCVW doesn't exceed 19.5k. and adding in tongue weight, fuel, occupants etc., his GVW doesn't exceed 10k?

Truck GVWR > 10k
Max trailer weight > 12.5k
Trailer GVWR > 15k
GCWR > 19.5k

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
agree, no disagreement there. However, we all still have to comply with GCVW rating that is specific to the vehicle. That's why it's a rating / limitation. His happens to be 22k regardless of the 26k. The 26k only predicates the CDL (in most instances).

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
yes no disagreement there. However, we all still have to comply with GVCW rating. That's why it's a rating / limitation.
I'm really slow this morning and still not seeing the value of @NorthwoodsLife derating his trailer. Obviously he wouldn't be in compliance with the stickers on his truck or Ford's published specs if he were to load up the trailer to it's GVWR of 15k, but as long as he keeps it under 12.5k I don't see why he would get a ticket.