Totally discouraged

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
I have an issue with my new (73 hours and 8 month old) L3901. With the first measurable snowfall 2 days ago, I got the chance to use my 3pt Blower. I noticed that there was a fast squeaking/chattering sound with the PTO engaged. To eliminate the possibility of the Blower being the culprit, I disconnected the PTO shaft from the Blower and engaged the PTO. Same sound, and is linear with RPM through the full range.

WHAT NOW !!!

I got rid of my 1 year old 2501 because the darn thing never ran right, even after several visits to the dealer. I bought this 3901 in May, and the first 1.3 hours of use had oil flowing out of a cooler in the front. Yesterday was the first time that I engage the PTO on this tractor, and already have issues. Even when blowing snow, and the engine at max RPM....it doesn't throw anywhere near what my poorly running 2501 would throw, and even trying to load up the Blower head doesn't lug the engine down. It sounds to me like something is slipping, but it will push massive amounts of wet snow in 4x4 and Low Range. Doesn't seem like the clutch is slipping.

I am at a loss. I have never had a tractor do this to me, and I am unsure if this model has a dual clutch system or what. Any ideas fellas? I really don't have a whole lot of faith in my dealer. I know if I take it back they will say "There's nothing wrong"....So if anyone has any idea what it could be, it would give me some ammo to confront them with.

Out of the John Deer, Mahindra, Cub Cadet and New Holland tractors I have had....I have never had issues like I do with Kubota. I have to thank Kubota somewhat for showing me things I have never encountered before, so it is really twisting my learning curve.....not in the direction I want....but learning anyway...

Attachments

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Transmission oil on the full mark?????? Not much in there to squeak except a dry or cocked seal. A remote possibility is low hydraulic pressure on the PTO clutch pack but that is very remote and sufficient oil will negate any sound.

Far as throwing snow, the distance thrown will depend entirely on how wet and heavy the snow is, your travel speed and the condition of the chute and impeller. 540 at rated rpm should be more than enough so long as the snowthrower isn't rated for 1000 rpm. If it is, you have other issues.

Kubota's for me are basically trouble free tractors.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
Transmission oil on the full mark?????? Not much in there to squeak except a dry or cocked seal. A remote possibility is low hydraulic pressure on the PTO clutch pack but that is very remote and sufficient oil will negate any sound.

Far as throwing snow, the distance thrown will depend entirely on how wet and heavy the snow is, your travel speed and the condition of the chute and impeller. 540 at rated rpm should be more than enough so long as the snowthrower isn't rated for 1000 rpm. If it is, you have other issues.

Kubota's for me are basically trouble free tractors.
This same 3164 blower on the back of my 2501 used to chuck it to the neighbors without difficulty. (If I so desired)...Same blower on the 3901 barely tosses it 20 feet. And thats at max RPM. Yes, not my first snowblowing experience, and I am well aware that slush wont fling as far for sure, but thanks for mentioning it. I completely serviced the blower this Fall and everything was peachy. The problem is that I still have the squeaking/chattering sound without the blower even attached to the PTO. Weird.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Again, fluid of the full mark? Only thing in there PTO related is the clutch pack which is in front of the rear pinion and the output seal on the PTO shaft. Everything else is running in ball bearings. Remotely could be low clutch pack lock up pressure or a mis adjusted PTO switch but clutch pack noise won't be at the very back of the tractor.

When you say max throttle do you mean PTO speed marked on the tach or WOT. WOT is not advisable even though the engine is governed by the pump.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
Again, fluid of the full mark? Only thing in there PTO related is the clutch pack which is in front of the rear pinion and the output seal on the PTO shaft. Everything else is running in ball bearings. Remotely could be low clutch pack lock up pressure or a mis adjusted PTO switch but clutch pack noise won't be at the very back of the tractor.

When you say max throttle do you mean PTO speed marked on the tach or WOT. WOT is not advisable even though the engine is governed by the pump.
Oil level is spot on. The tractor warmed up for @30 minutes, then pushed snow for an hour before I engaged the PTO, so everything should have been properly warmed up. I dont run the tractor at WOT, except for when I'm trouble shooting something (like in this case)...but I do run it at the 540 mark all the time, due to the emissions stuff. So I'm at a loss really. It's a squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak sound kinda fast like a rotating shaft rubbing on something or when a bearing is letting go. Only does it when the PTO is engaged. The sound doesn't seem to be coming from the rear either, sounds more like center mass. It is very difficult to pinpoint while on the tractor. I'll probably have my Wife sit in the seat while I investigate further tomorrow.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
I have a new l3091. I take it you have the hydraulic PTO clutch? Mine has the manual lever PTO and it does not have dual clutch. I***8217;m also assuming yours is a hydro trans?

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
While you have the wife in the seat, is it possible to video it as walking around it? Someone on here may recognize the type and area of the sound.

Another thought.
With the engine off and the PTO disengaged, rotate the PTO shaft. Feel and listen for anything out of the normal.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
I have a new l3091. I take it you have the hydraulic PTO clutch? Mine has the manual lever PTO and it does not have dual clutch. I***8217;m also assuming yours is a hydro trans?
Yeah I have the manual PTO engagement. I have to press the clutch to engage the lever for the PTO. It IS an HST as well.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
While you have the wife in the seat, is it possible to video it as walking around it? Someone on here may recognize the type and area of the sound.

Another thought.
With the engine off and the PTO disengaged, rotate the PTO shaft. Feel and listen for anything out of the normal.
I'll be doing a little process of elimination tomorrow. I have just never seen this behavior before with PTO systems.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Have you looked at the universal joint on the PTO shaft? When the needle bearings wear out they are notorious for making that squeak, squeak, squeak sound. May want to grease the universal or replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like the clutch cable is out of adjustment and the cams are slipping.

Do you have the WSM? it's a simple adjustment if that is the issue.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

Do you have the WSM? it's a simple adjustment if that is the issue.
Brand new tractor, I would not touch it doing any adjustments like that. Let the dealer do it under warranty, that way if it is more than that they can’t say you screwed something up.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
Brand new tractor, I would not touch it doing any adjustments like that. Let the dealer do it under warranty, that way if it is more than that they can’t say you screwed something up.
If it something really simple, I'll tackle it myself as....

1) the dealer is 1.5 hours away....and

2) I dont have much trust/faith/confidence in the dealer.

But I know when I am out of my league, and will bring it to the dealer if it's something that appears like "More than a simple adjustment"....

I really appreciate all the help guys. So far the tractor has been really good with uneventful Regens and no other major problems thus far.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
If this is the case. How much did the cams wear during the usage period and how much metal was generated?

I'm guessing there is no way to determine this without visual confirmation. If it was my tractor I'd bite the bullet and have the dealer repair. I wouldn't be so worried about the potential cam wear the first couple of years, but what about year 5 or 10?

The two clutch halves are priced at approximately $280 (Messick's).

Good luck resolving the issue.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
Success !! Found the issue pretty quick. Started her up and let her warm up. Jumped on, pressed clutch and engaged PTO....Squeak squeak again....Disengaged PTO to disconnect blower shaft. When I went to get off tractor, it stalled. Woah..ok. Checked seat switch, all seemed well, still no start. As I was looking at the PTO lever, the cable didnt seem to be retracting all the way, as it was buckling a little. By working the lever back and forth, I noticed a little rustiness on the cable. Got the tractor to start by manipulating the PTO lever.

Moved into garage and lubed cable with "Deep Creep", and cycled the lever several times until the cable would retract like it should. More "Deep Creep" ..work it, work it, work it. Repeated process like, 4 more times.

Started her up, put her outside, engaged PTO, no more squeaking....and promptly lofted a snow pile waaaaaayy out there. Everything is fine now. I will have to watch and make sure the cable doesnt start to bind up again, and if it does, I will have it changed out. Deep Creep is usually pretty good for lubricating cables, and not freezing up. Hopefully this will solve the issue. So far so good !! Happy camper.

Thanks for all the help and insight fellas. I know myself in particular, always tend to think worst case scenario. But it almost always ends up being something mundane. I'm just glad, that with all your help, I was able to figure this issue out.

Last edited:

NewtoOrange

Equipment
L2501
Mar 1, 2017
Pleasant Plains, Il. USA
Glad you got it figured out. Out of curiosity, is the PTO lever/cable set up the same as on your 2501 ? Mine would not turn off the PTO after mowing and cable seemed to be binding as yours was. Little shot of lube made all the difference and only needed to do it one time so far.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
Glad you got it figured out. Out of curiosity, is the PTO lever/cable set up the same as on your 2501 ? Mine would not turn off the PTO after mowing and cable seemed to be binding as yours was. Little shot of lube made all the difference and only needed to do it one time so far.
Yup...Same exact thing as the 2501. Didnt have problems with the PTO on that one, but that was about the only thing I didnt have problems with on it.