Tool Box & Diesel Tank??????

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
1. What kind of diesel tank would you buy for back of the truck a metal or aluminum one and why?

2. Tool box on back what type metal or the aluminim for the truck and why would you buy that type?

2010 Chevy LB

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Will,

I have had steel and aluminum both and I prefer the alu tank better. The biggest reason is that there is no worry of rust with the alu tank. I have one in both my trucks now, a 55 gal. (L) step steel in one and a 110 gal. (L) step alu in the other. The ones with the tool box built in with them are nice but all the ones I looked at the tool box was so small it is sort of useless. My 110 gal take gives me plenty of volume when I need it and I still have a full size tool box mounted over it. The 55 gal tank sticks out in the bed just as far as the big tank does it's just not as wide so you loose the same amount of bed as the other one so I would get the big tank and be done with it. Look at it this way, you don't have to fill the big tank up all the way if you don't need it but you can't put more than 55 gal in the small one. If it was me I would bite the bullet and go for the big Alu tank. You aren't going to need but one so go ahead and get what you need the first time and be done with it.

Reguardless of which one you buy I'll offer you this tip that I learned the hard way.

1: Go ahead and put a tool box over it so the temptation of using it for a step won't be there because it will make them crack over time.

2: When you go to bolt it down don't bolt it on all four corners. If you bolt it that way when the tank swells in the summer heat it will make them crack also. I have mine held done in the front of the bed with self tapping screws and the back is sitting loose. It has never moved on me and when it does swell up it can expand on the bottom and the top which puts no where near as much stress on the metal.

If you look at Fill Rite electric pumps keep this in mind when you compair the yellow and the red one. There isn't much difference in the two in fuel flow but you get a lot of extras with the red one. The yellow pump comes with a plastic pick up tube and the red has steel. The red one has a longer hose with it and also comes with a auto shut off nozzle. Just the nozzle is worth over $50 by itself and by the time you buy a metal pick up tube and a longer hose for the yellow pump you will have just as much in it so go ahead and get the red pump and be done with it right from the start. If I remember right the red pump has a better warranty with it as well. I hope this helps you out.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Will,

I haven't had a transfer tank, but it sounds like Bulldog gave you good advice.

As for tool boxes; I (or my friends) have had several different ones. The old style that hinge in the middle are a pain to get anything long into. Plastic ones usually don't last long, and will sag with weight in them. This shouldn't matter, since you will have a fuel tank under it. Steel or aluminum will work, I would buy one that matches the tank you get.

The design I like best is the sinlge lid that has the hinge towards the cab. Make sure that the fittings are well made, My friend has one that the catches gave out on. I have a steel Delta that still works good after about twelve years, except the piano hinge is leaking rust.

The best tool box that I have ever had came on a used pickup, it is a steel Weatherguard, made by Knaack. They are expensive, but well worth the money. The push button locks actually work, and really lock. No rust, and the contents stay dry. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The best tool box that I have ever had came on a used pickup, it is a steel Weatherguard, made by Knaack. They are expensive, but well worth the money. The push button locks actually work, and really lock. No rust, and the contents stay dry. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Hope this helps,

Robert
You said it on the weatherguard boxes. My former boss put a aluminum weatherguard box in his truck and filled it full of tools. Wore that truck out and we put straps around it, lifted it out with a crain and set it in his new truck. Long story short, the tool box now is in the forth truck, not bad. One box has out lasted three trucks and working on the forth.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Bulldog and orange tractors gave you all the advice I can think of . They covered every thing I can think of. Except for one thing if you are in a high crime area you may want to put a TACK weld on bolts holding it to truck so someone cannot remove them and slide to another truck( weld the bolt to nut (tack) dont weld box to truck just bolt to nut. When you have to take it out or swap to another truck use grinder to cut nut and bolt off. ;)Will got to get something about weld in there.handy

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Good point to add in Handy. I throw this one other thing in also. I didn't know about this until I started looking at boxes over the net. They do make different ones for 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. The ones for 3/4 ton are about 3 or 4 inches wider than a box for a 1/2 ton truck. I think that either one will interchange but the narrow box looks small on a wide truck.

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Hell boyz not sure I will step foot on Kubota stuff any more....major blow out with Das Führer.
So with that being said yeah I might get off here and do some things I was tought by my Elders which is deep in my blood, Cherokee, learn stuff.
I don't know where I will go, but will be on computer and here till answer is awaken.

Last edited: