To grapple or not to grapple

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thought I'd give an update I went into the Kubota dealer to hand over some money however when they tried to order the grappler for me they were told it would be December before they could get one. However they also told me another dealer has 2 so their trying to get one from them. I hope the fingers crossed thing works, heck I've even got the toes crossed, lol. The grader scraper is no problem, should be here in a week or so and yes it really is better to ask for forgiveness then permission, right?

Popeyecop

Equipment
L175, L3901
Sep 14, 2017
Chester, IL
Ive read through the reply's and seen several people talk about the 3rd function, my question what is the 3rd function and what does it do?

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
The third function valve is a hydraulic valve that is tied into your tractor's electrical system. It comes with hydraulic hoses that connect to your tractors hydraulics and also the hydraulic piston that attaches to the lid of the grapple. It's function is to open and close the lid.

Shaun78

Equipment
L2501, 60"Land Pride Box Blade, 66" Tomahawk brush grapple.
I wouldn't want to be without my grapple. I use it more than I use my bucket. I bought a 66" Tomahawk brush grapple when I bought my tractor a year ago and it has been phenomenal. I have been able to clean up our property easier than I ever imagined and it has held up perfectly so far. I have pushed over and dug up several smaller trees and I have removed 300-400 pound boulders from the ground that we're barely visible. The price was right as well if you want to check into them. I am definitely happy with mine.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I wouldn't want to be without my grapple. I use it more than I use my bucket. I bought a 66" Tomahawk brush grapple when I bought my tractor a year ago and it has been phenomenal. I have been able to clean up our property easier than I ever imagined and it has held up perfectly so far. I have pushed over and dug up several smaller trees and I have removed 300-400 pound boulders from the ground that we're barely visible. The price was right as well if you want to check into them. I am definitely happy with mine.
Thanks for the advice Shaun. Looks like I'll be getting a land pride, the dealer called me Friday saying that mine came in however the grader scraper won't be in until this week some time and that they would deliver both at the same time.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Bearbait what model are you getting I have a land pride and a Titan and use both of them all the time grapples are awesome.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait what model are you getting I have a land pride and a Titan and use both of them all the time grapples are awesome.
I'm hoping they're everything people say. Bottom line is at 62 the old body has too many hard miles on it and things are starting to hurt about 10 years ago, lol. With the summers getting dryer I'm thinking I best clear more off the lot to give us a buffer zone incase of fire not to mention the clearing off the sides of my road will always be there. We're hoping the grapple will help us stay here for many more year because it will be a sad day when we are forced to move, kinda hoping I'll be taken out in a box. Here's a link to the one I'm buying, not a whole lot of choices living here.

https://www.landpride.com/products/680/sgc06-series-claw-grapples

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wish you well my friend, gettin long in the tooth sure aint what it's cracked up to be huh :D

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
You will like it I'm sure I have the grapple buckets on my machines with them more than their regular buckets most of the time.
They are back savers.

I'm hoping they're everything people say. Bottom line is at 62 the old body has too many hard miles on it and things are starting to hurt about 10 years ago, lol. With the summers getting dryer I'm thinking I best clear more off the lot to give us a buffer zone incase of fire not to mention the clearing off the sides of my road will always be there. We're hoping the grapple will help us stay here for many more year because it will be a sad day when we are forced to move, kinda hoping I'll be taken out in a box. Here's a link to the one I'm buying, not a whole lot of choices living here.

https://www.landpride.com/products/680/sgc06-series-claw-grapples

rtallichet

Equipment
3901HST-FEL, box blade, backhoe, grapple, rake, forks, piranha bar stump grinder
Dec 11, 2017
Texas
I purchased a LP Grapple when I bought a new 3901 about a year ago. I must say it is a very useful tool on 15 acres of heavy wooded property that we are beginning to clear of small trees and underbrush. If I knew a little more about your applications maybe I can help some more.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I also use my Grapple more than I use the bucket. Best clean up tool in the woods, even invented. I can gather deadfall and brush, transport to the burn pile pit, without spilling my coffee. For cutting firewood, I pickup logs, stack them on the sawbuck from the log yard to the wood shed with ease. I have saved the cash spent on the Grapple by purchasing semi truck loads of logs cheap, and cutting them myself. The Grapple does all the work. BEST tool on the Kubota. I bought the land pride for my BX, and have had zero weld issues or bending problems, and I work it HARD. From pics I’ve seen if early models, they now do a much better job welding

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well I got a call from the dealer this morning telling me the grapple and grader were in. Since I had to make a run to town anyway I took a drop in to do the hard part and hand over some money. When I bought them the full time sales person was on vacation so I dealt with the fill in. He gave me the price saying everything was included even the install and setup so I made the deal. Today Jim the sales person was back and got a funny look on his face when I asked him when they would be out to do the install. That's when he told me the install and hoses are extra however I told him the deal I made with Brian the other fill in. He said there was no way Brian should have sold it for that price, that to send the mechanic out to my place an hours drive one way and do the install should have been extra. He called the owner who right away told him a deal is a deal so their coming out the first of next week. They even drilled a 3/4" hole in 2 pieces of angle iron while I was there no charge. Can't say enough good things about this dealership, every time they go above and beyond for me. Can't wait to try out the new toys, oops I mean implements next week.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I purchased a LP Grapple when I bought a new 3901 about a year ago. I must say it is a very useful tool on 15 acres of heavy wooded property that we are beginning to clear of small trees and underbrush. If I knew a little more about your applications maybe I can help some more.
Thanks for the offer rtallichat. I'm just gonna use it to do the same things this poor old tired and worn out back :( has been doing for years but I do appreciate the offer, thanks.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I also use my Grapple more than I use the bucket. Best clean up tool in the woods, even invented. I can gather deadfall and brush, transport to the burn pile pit, without spilling my coffee. For cutting firewood, I pickup logs, stack them on the sawbuck from the log yard to the wood shed with ease. I have saved the cash spent on the Grapple by purchasing semi truck loads of logs cheap, and cutting them myself. The Grapple does all the work. BEST tool on the Kubota. I bought the land pride for my BX, and have had zero weld issues or bending problems, and I work it HARD. From pics I’ve seen if early models, they now do a much better job welding
Bearskinner I've never thought about making a sawbuck but great idea, thanks. I'm sure it won't be long before I have one up in the back field.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
0A554619-6DC9-4DBF-ACFA-B2376D29B5E1.jpg

B02DF45D-4396-4D99-ACF2-8593F3BCDE3F.jpg

I can pick up a 10 cord load of firewood, way less than half price of delivered rounds, or split wood. I actually enjoy the saw work, from the saw buck. I cut the logs once on the log yard, to get them to manageable lengths for the BX to pick up and stack on the saw buck. The buck is right in front of the (2 car garage size) wood shed, so it really makes it easy. Each load gives me 3-4 years of firewood, so with a little work, I have heat for the year at under $200. Per year. More cash for Kubota Implements