Tire pressure with water

Bjones

Equipment
L2800
Apr 23, 2017
walhalla, s.c.
Guys I have put water and antifreeze in my L2800 rear tractor tires and need to know what the air pressure should be. My manual says 30 PSI but it doesn't differentiate between with or without water. Thing rides rough compared to the other tractor I had. I currently have 15 PSI in the tires. My question: Is the tire pressure the same with or without water in the tires? Thanks for your help
Bruce

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Inflate to the recommended PSI as stated on the tire regardless of all air or water ballast.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I agree air pressure should be the same wet or dry. 30#s air pressure sure sounds high to me. My M7040 operator's manual states 18-20# for rear tires depending on tire size. I'll bet the L2800 rides very ROUGH.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Guys I have put water and antifreeze in my L2800 rear tractor tires and need to know what the air pressure should be. My manual says 30 PSI but it doesn't differentiate between with or without water. Thing rides rough compared to the other tractor I had. I currently have 15 PSI in the tires. My question: Is the tire pressure the same with or without water in the tires? Thanks for your help
Bruce
Bjone,

Tx Jim is pointing out something that most see but dont understand - that psi on the tire is a typical high point a max PSI - if you are having a rough ride NOW at 15 psi.......your teeth will rattle at 30 psi!!!

If you are using a loader - typically the psi on the front end needs to be increased to handle the load, otherwise it can be backed off for a better ride, same is true with rear - heavy loads on rear, more PSI - less weight and lower the PSI for better ride.

AND as others pointed out - air pressure is air pressure whether with or without liquid in the tires.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tire type will also effect ride greatly.
R4's (industrial) are the roughest ride
R3's (turf) are the smoothest ride
and R1's (ag) are in the middle

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Tire type will also effect ride greatly.
R4's (industrial) are the roughest ride
R3's (turf) are the smoothest ride
and R1's (ag) are in the middle
I have R4's and the ride is nice.

I would think the R1's with the aggressive thread would ride more rough than the R4's, interesting!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have R4's and the ride is nice.

I would think the R1's with the aggressive thread would ride more rough than the R4's, interesting!
I would think a little more side wall on the typical AG might be the reason - turfs are "balloons" and R4's are a more rigid turf!:D

Bjones

Equipment
L2800
Apr 23, 2017
walhalla, s.c.
My tires are not the old bar tread type tires. Not sure how to tell diff. Otherwise. They look like the tire on the tractor on this home page. I let them down to 14psi and to push on them with your hand they are still hard as a rock. Info on the actual reads 30 psi. Thanks for your replies

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Also the traction issue with over inflating! The more tread you have sitting on the ground the better your traction is. Typical pressure with out ballast should be 11-12 psi rear tires only, depending on conditions. Fronts can be around 20 with a front loader with R1 or 4's. Turfs should be higher due to 4 ply sidewall.

Pat

Bjones

Equipment
L2800
Apr 23, 2017
walhalla, s.c.
Yea i have the om with the chart, thanks. I believe i must have the hardest set of tires on my tractor that is out there. I will have to go slower and watch for holes. Thanks again

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have the essentially the same tractor with loader and BH...filled tires with anti freeze and run at 30 psi...

Tractors are tools...rough shouldn't bother you that much...it is not a couch.:rolleyes:

Bjones

Equipment
L2800
Apr 23, 2017
walhalla, s.c.
I have the essentially the same tractor with loader and BH...filled tires with anti freeze and run at 30 psi...

Tractors are tools...rough shouldn't bother you that much...it is not a couch.:rolleyes:[/QUOT

I fully understand a tractor will be rough compared to a vehicle but my kubota is much rougher than my previous Ford and I wanted to know if tire press. for loaded and unloaded was different. The gentlemen who replied cleared that up. Thanks so much for your valuable input it was so helpful and insightful.

donm1

Equipment
MX4700 JD1050
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, TX, USA
I'm not sure if this pertains to the OP's situation but the Operator's Manual for my MX4700 recommends filling the tires with liquid to a maximum of 75% of the tire's capacity. The remaining 25% volume of air in the tire will compress when you hit a bump while the water will not.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca

Tractors are tools...rough shouldn't bother you that much...it is not a couch.:rolleyes:[/QUOT

I fully understand a tractor will be rough compared to a vehicle but my kubota is much rougher than my previous Ford and I wanted to know if tire press. for loaded and unloaded was different. The gentlemen who replied cleared that up. Thanks so much for your valuable input it was so helpful and insightful.
Lighten up...I was clearly making a funny on you...geez.

This is a great helpful forum...with some occational light poking...

BotaLoda

Equipment
BX2370, Loader w/tooth bar, MMM, sub soiler, 5' rake, rear ballast box, forks.
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Mine was fairly stiff in the rear tires even though the pressure was correct. Turned out my dealer put too much liquid in the tires and there wasn't enough air space to compress when going over a rock or whatever.
I turned the tire so the valve was at the top and removed the schrader valve and liquid came squirting out. Let all the liquid out at that position then replaced the valve and added air according to the specs. Much better ride AND more traction. The dealer must have had the tire laying down or something when they added the liquid. It's in my manual to do it how I did it.

I definitely agree with 85Hockie, so so many people inflate their tires to the maximum pressure shown on the side of the tire. They do it with cars a lot too. Way wrong. Read the manual not the tire.

Bjones

Equipment
L2800
Apr 23, 2017
walhalla, s.c.
I'm not sure if this pertains to the OP's situation but the Operator's Manual for my MX4700 recommends filling the tires with liquid to a maximum of 75% of the tire's capacity. The remaining 25% volume of air in the tire will compress when you hit a bump while the water will not.
This is what i did, filled to 75% liquid and put in about 15 psi air. Not a big deal. Thanks

Bjones

Equipment
L2800
Apr 23, 2017
walhalla, s.c.

Lighten up...I was clearly making a funny on you...geez.

This is a great helpful forum...with some occational light poking...
I love the various forums I have joined over the yrs. On various vehicles, tractors, and side by sides. Folks are very knowledgeable and willing to share without being a comedian or sarcastic. I always try and follow their example. I'm done.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe one of these :D:D at the end of the comment would have clarified it was making a funny.

It's really difficult to mind read through words.

Bjones

Equipment
L2800
Apr 23, 2017
walhalla, s.c.
Closure to an old post. I was searching for something that would make my L2800 ride less harsh mainly different springs under the seat. While searching I ran across a youtube that addressed my problem and I hate to admit I never thought to consider this. He had a L2800 that the seat platform or base was frozen or seized up at the 8 or so hinge points, seat is designed to float or dampen some of shock you encounter when operating the tractor, the two small springs under the seat don't do much. I checked mine and sure enough it was frozen or seized up as well. I removed the seat and base and after working with it for a few hrs. got it loosened up. Sprayed penetrating oil and drilled a small hole in the hinge areas so oil could get into those areas and exercised it many times and it is functioning as designed. Tractor rides much better. Pick of underside of platform and hinge areas that were frozen up. Seems to be a very tight fit, guy in youtube disassembled his and opened up the tolerances. FYI
20180625_100722.jpg