Tire chain question

Ted1

Sep 14, 2017
Pa
This is probably a question previously posted here and if so sorry for the repeat. New owner L2501 4wd planning on getting snow/ice chains for winter.
I thought I had read on the forum that chains on the front tires are ok and then in another forum they are not the best idea for a tractor of this size. My question is are they ok to use on the front and back tires?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do not chain the front's.
It can cause a lot of damage to a delicate drive system.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I had a thread about this subject earlier so you can do a search and read through it. There was also another thread about rubber chains that was interesting.
What kind of damage? I don't recall any comments about it being detrimental so would like to know before I make a $$$$ mistake.

BotaLoda

Equipment
BX2370, Loader w/tooth bar, MMM, sub soiler, 5' rake, rear ballast box, forks.
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I was considering putting chains on just the front since I'll be using the loader for snow removal it will have weight up there. What makes the front drive so "delicate"? In my manual it instructs you to go up steep hills in reverse. Isn't that putting a lot of load on the front wheel drive? Especially since the fronts track 7% faster. (what the dealer told me anyway on my BX2370)

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
I put chains on all four. My gravel driveway has a sideways tilt to in some areas and the front end would start to slide sideways when everything turns to solid ice. It becomes like a skating rink and I have to use cleats to walk on the ice. Also the front chains helps keep the front end from getting pushed sideways when using the front blade at an angle. I keep it in 2WD most of the time though unless I have to use 4WD in some cases.

Attachments

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
When I had the B3200 with R1 tires I studded the front tires. I had a front blower on it and had a lot of trouble not being able to steer. I bought the studs on Ebay and they worked great but no good for R4 tires. I only studded the front. In the picture you can't tell but my driveway slants to the right and the tractor kept sliding until I studded the fronts.

l2501

Equipment
loader 64 inch rear blower
Oct 22, 2017
Minden
I put chains on all four. My gravel driveway has a sideways tilt to in some areas and the front end would start to slide sideways when everything turns to solid ice. It becomes like a skating rink and I have to use cleats to walk on the ice. Also the front chains helps keep the front end from getting pushed sideways when using the front blade at an angle. I keep it in 2WD most of the time though unless I have to use 4WD in some cases.
I have same situation as you, I just got chains for front ordered yesterday, my dealer said no problem. Already had spacers installed on rear on purchase, put chains on rear myself, found it a bit difficult, had to shorten them with out proper tools, and remove 4 crossovers.

I have 5/16 chain on rear every 2 links, and now just waiting on order for front. No clearance issues on front wheels they say

yes this on 2017 L2501 R4`S

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
When I had the B3200 with R1 tires I studded the front tires.]
Was there some glitch on the group that just notified me of this post now after it is two weeks old? I'm guessing it was since there is another reply today, after 2 weeks.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I'm still curious if anyone has tried chains on only the front? Although one big drawback could be that the front differential can't lock. So it's possible to be on ice and not go anywhere.

Actually most of you would laugh at the snow I've plowed in years past. Many times I've plowed as little as 1/4" of snow. The reason being is that my drive is paved and it is a pretty steep grade. 1/4" of snow and it's not safe going down in a car without chains.

A couple years ago I went out in chains but couldn't make it back up. Stupid front wheel drive cars. I had to turn around and go up backwards. Same works good for those with a steep drive and loose gravel, go uphill in reverse.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Last winter I had chains on the front of my B2650 HSDC only, with front snow blower,waiting to buy chains for the rear until I see if I need them. This configuration was recommended by the dealer to solve a particular concern I had with my driveway. There is a curvethat one would tend to plow or snowblow going down hill, and where there is about 10 feet between a tree and a 4 foot near vertical drop off. The person who used to plow my drive with his truck has gone off this edge once or twice over the years, and I have watched him nearly get stuck there a couple of times. He was always going forward and never rolled his truck, and could plow his way out. I thought if I made even a small mistake near that edge I could pretty easy roll my tractor if I couldn't keep control of steering. Snow blowing with my old Ingersoll, rear tires loaded and chained taught me that it is easy to lose steering. So even though there is added wear on the front end with chains, I figured I'd be safer. A more experienced user might not need them.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
That brings attention to a sort of small cliff on the side of my driveway. I've never paid much attention to it plowing with a little Bolens-Husky tractor with chains on the back. Normally only when I'm mowing the side of the drive do I then pay careful attention to it because I'm right on the edge. That will change hopefully next year after I get a couple tri-axle loads of fill. Then I can have 3 - 4' of grass on the side and a couple feet of safety area that I won't go on. Actually I have to make a call and see if I can get that fill this fall yet so it settles over the winter. Up further the young woods comes right up to the driveway, some of the roots are cracking the blacktop. I'm working a little at a time digging a 3 to 4' wide side for grass along the side of the drive. It sticks up above the drive 6" to10" and is mostly rocks, roots, and smallish trees. Really a job for a backhoe but a little at a time with teeth on the front bucket I'm making progress.