Tipped B2601. Ooops

Hodag Kubota

Sep 15, 2020
In desperate need of help. I was moving some sand yesterday and got into an off camber spot in my yard. Front left tire sunk in a divet, and the tractor did a slow roll to the left side. I was able to step off as it went over. I shut it off as it went over. It was on its side for less than 5 minutes. Got it upright and waited 15 minutes or so before the I tried to see if it would turn over. Waiting for the hydroseize. It started. Blew some smoke. Sounded good. Now I have oil blowing out at the muffler clamp where the exhaust pipe goes out the front. Would it be advisable to take it to the dealer, or just wait and see if it clears up?

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I don't think you are going to have a problem. I rolled mine once several years ago and I had smoke the way you describe and it cleared up in a few minutes of running.

Question, do you happen to have spacers on the front wheels?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would have waited a bit longer after the tip -

After a good bit of time - fire it up and allow it to idle and see if smoke clears up

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
In desperate need of help. I was moving some sand yesterday and got into an off camber spot in my yard. Front left tire sunk in a divet, and the tractor did a slow roll to the left side. I was able to step off as it went over. I shut it off as it went over. It was on its side for less than 5 minutes. Got it upright and waited 15 minutes or so before the I tried to see if it would turn over. Waiting for the hydroseize. It started. Blew some smoke. Sounded good. Now I have oil blowing out at the muffler clamp where the exhaust pipe goes out the front. Would it be advisable to take it to the dealer, or just wait and see if it clears up?
You got lucky as I once did in the same situation.

Oil can find its way into a cylinder with an open valve through the PVC tubing.

IF I ever tip my tractor on its side again (hope not) I will not try to start it until I pull the glow plugs and verify there is no oil in the cylinders to bend a connecting rod.

5 minutes to get the tractor upright? You must be Superman!

Once oil is in a cylinder, waiting 5 minutes or five hours likely will make no difference. How would it drain out?

Glad you were as lucky as I was doing what we both did.

Reactions: 4 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I can’t help much with what to do, but glad you are ok. From what I understand, you should be ok once some oil burns off.

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Glad you are ok! I agree that for anyone who tips in the future that waiting longer to start it, after righting it, is probably a good idea but hindsight is 20/20. Do you happen to have ballast in rear tires? Now might be a time to consider it if you do not, I’ve owned compact tractors with and without it and it is amazing how much more stable they feel with ballast in tires.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
You should be OK after it runs for a while.
9F3EEEFE-8FBD-4EB7-9218-D87E04B702BB.jpeg

Mine was and it was on it's side for at least 30 minutes. I did have to replace my battery.

• Wow

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You must have been in a real-hurry.... Whenever I get in a hurry something breaks. You are extremely lucky in several ways:
Getting off/out of being seriously hurt or killed.
Your tractor only blowing smoke-and-oil instead of a hydrolocked/bent-connecting-rod.

I agree with Henro, if anyone rolls their machine... pull the plugs and turn it over (by hand if possible.). Any oil/water/fluid in a cylinder has to be removed before starting it to be safe.

Since you’ve got it running.... check your fluid levels ... Eventually it should clear up.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
So sorry to read this Hodag. I hope the best possible outcome for you. I'm a total newbie with a new 2601 as well. Please don't take this as criticizing. I'm just trying to learn and somewhat fearful of a rollover...which I think is a good thing. I also don't want to bend my tractor. In hindsight is there anything you would have done different to avoid this situation? How high was your bucket? Was the load balanced in the bucket?

Hodag Kubota

Sep 15, 2020
I don't think you are going to have a problem. I rolled mine once several years ago and I had smoke the way you describe and it cleared up in a few minutes of running.

Question, do you happen to have spacers on the front wheels?
No I don’t have wheel spacers. I‘ve only had the tractor about a year. There are so many things I’m still learning about.

Hodag Kubota

Sep 15, 2020
You got lucky as I once did in the same situation.

Oil can find its way into a cylinder with an open valve through the PVC tubing.

IF I ever tip my tractor on its side again (hope not) I will not try to start it until I pull the glow plugs and verify there is no oil in the cylinders to bend a connecting rod.

5 minutes to get the tractor upright? You must be Superman!

Once oil is in a cylinder, waiting 5 minutes or five hours likely will make no difference. How would it drain out?

Glad you were as lucky as I was doing what we both did.
Thanks. The tractor was only 50 ft from my garage. Ran up got the pickup and a strap, backed up to the tractor and 10 seconds later it’s upright

Hodag Kubota

Sep 15, 2020
Glad you are ok! I agree that for anyone who tips in the future that waiting longer to start it, after righting it, is probably a good idea but hindsight is 20/20. Do you happen to have ballast in rear tires? Now might be a time to consider it if you do not, I’ve owned compact tractors with and without it and it is amazing how much more stable they feel with ballast in tires.
Thanks. I’m definitely going to check into ballast in the tires

Hodag Kubota

Sep 15, 2020
You must have been in a real-hurry.... Whenever I get in a hurry something breaks. You are extremely lucky in several ways:
Getting off/out of being seriously hurt or killed.
Your tractor only blowing smoke-and-oil instead of a hydrolocked/bent-connecting-rod.

I agree with Henro, if anyone rolls their machine... pull the plugs and turn it over (by hand if possible.). Any oil/water/fluid in a cylinder has to be removed before starting it to be safe.

Since you’ve got it running.... check your fluid levels ... Eventually it should clear up.
I'm interested in how you got it back right side up.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It can’t be over-emphasized the importance of carrying bucket loads LOW. If the center-of-gravity inside the bucket is above the front axle then the tractor will behave Top-heavy, and any momentum to roll can make it happen.... a wheel rolling into a hole or rut... even a sharp turn at walking-speed... or merely applying the brakes during a normal turn can do it if a load is carried high.
Keep it LOW.

Reactions: 4 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I can’t help much with what to do, but glad you are ok. From what I understand, you should be ok once some oil burns off.
This will ONLY be true if a very slight amount of oil gets into a cylinder.

There have been a number of reports of people trying to start their engines after a tip over, and a cylinder hydro locking due to oil finding its way into the cylinder, resulting in a bent connecting rod and big $$$ repairs.

Personally I got lucky once, due to misunderstanding the way this works. Oil can enter through the PCV route.

If this ever happens to me again (Hope not!) I will not try starting the tractor without first verifying the cylinders are free of significant oil. Too risky for my blood.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
This will ONLY be true if a very slight amount of oil gets into a cylinder.
Of course, OP had already started his engine and ran it. If was going to be damaged, it already was. He said it sounded ok which is not the same as one that was destroyed. Therefore, it would likely be ok.

That’s not the same as recommending that everyone hurry and start their engine after it’s on it’s side.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
As others have pointed, keep the load as low as you can. You will see in many of my pictures that my bucket/grapple is higher up in the air in the picture, but I'm not moving, I'm outside taking a picture and then it either gets lowered or dumped on the pile.

The narrow width of these tractors can allow them to go over fairly easy, but ballast will help with this. Glad you are ok, equipment can always be fixed or replaced, people can't (although my wife keeps telling me she can find a replacement for me).