This normal for a fuel filter?

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
Did my first maintenance on my B2301 this morning. 100hr service, I bought it brand new October of last year. Should I be seeing this much in the fuel filter?

There are two small bugs in there that didn't come from the filter. For whatever reason they were attracted to the smell and decided to seal their fate. I still can't believe they outnumber humans....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Seems excessive. I only swapped out the fuel filter on my B once so far and it was darn near clean. My fuel filter casing is clear and dont see any buildup.

I swapped the fuel filter on my zero turn once a year for 5 years and again its nearly clean every time.

If it was me I would stick a flashlight or something down there to see if you notice any sediment buildup at the bottom. Then swap the filter again in 25 hours. See if it gets better.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Did my first maintenance on my B2301 this morning. 100hr service, I bought it brand new October of last year. Should I be seeing this much in the fuel filter?

There are two small bugs in there that didn't come from the filter. For whatever reason they were attracted to the smell and decided to seal their fate. I still can't believe they outnumber humans....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's probably stuff from the manufacturing process. Next filter change should be what ever in your fuel plus what falls or crawls into your tank.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks normal to me, fuel containers pass on a lot of junk.
Also if you've been working in the dust and dirt that will do it too. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Yup, check your fuel container. Close it when not pouring fuel in or out.
Like the caterpiller fuel cap used to say "use clean fuel,keep it clean"

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
Yup, check your fuel container. Close it when not pouring fuel in or out.
Like the caterpiller fuel cap used to say "use clean fuel,keep it clean"
The container isn't too bad, just some small specs down at the bottom. I do keep it closed though. It's one of those incredibly frustrating self closing/locking types, so it's always closed when it's not being poured out.

I'm not too concerned about the tractor, as I'm sure it's designed to run under some hard conditions. What has me most concerned is that I put the same diesel in my F250 (not from the fuel can, but buy from the same pumps). The cost of replacing the fuel system in the 6.7 is mind blowing, and the cost of an engine replacement could buy me another tractor and then some.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The L3301/3901/4701 and all of the M series are similar to your 6.7. Horribly expensive to have to repair the fuel system, and for that reason alone, highly advised to filter the fuel before dumping it into the tractor.

An engine replacement on an L3901HST, estimated cost for parts + labor, as of last week, totaled almost $18,000. Including DPF, for what it's worth. Cheaper to buy new tractor, IMO, and swap out the loader and other implements. Thanks to the good ol US EPA.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
The L3301/3901/4701 and all of the M series are similar to your 6.7. Horribly expensive to have to repair the fuel system, and for that reason alone, highly advised to filter the fuel before dumping it into the tractor.

An engine replacement on an L3901HST, estimated cost for parts + labor, as of last week, totaled almost $18,000. Including DPF, for what it's worth. Cheaper to buy new tractor, IMO, and swap out the loader and other implements. Thanks to the good ol US EPA.
A filtering funnel or some sort of filter for the can is definitely something I'm looking into. I'll also start checking the filter a bit more often than the standard suggested maintenance just to make sure it's not a recurring thing.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The place you want a filter funnel is going into the tractor, preferably one that gets out water that can condense inside the fuel can.