Thinking about building a trailer

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I need a trailer for my tractor and I’ve been thinking about building one. I figure a 5 ton trailer with a 20’ deck would be perfect. I have a LX2610 cab with a backhoe.

Has anyone built a trailer?

Ive been thinking about something like this. However, I would want a wood deck.

Has anyone built a trailer for their tractor??

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Do your research on tongue design and more importantly WHERE the axles need to be placed.
Those plan will tell you specifically but....

Axle placement on home made trailers are typically the biggest mistake a builder makes! Even 3" off will cause a huge problem when hauling a load. There is a lot of physics involved!

The process of cutting and welding the pieces plus the time involved will be a cost deterrent imo.

I am curious if/when you build one - the total cost of materials and cost of "labor" will probably exceed the cost of a factory built trailer.

If you buy that kit - you are 2.5K in and have not bought any of the steel.

I take it you are a certified welder and have a fabrication shop large enough to handle the process of keeping the frame square as pieces are placed together?

Despite my questions about all it takes - I would love to see the process that you make with pictures of the steps to completion.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've probably built 20+ over the past 30 years,most '5by8' but some 'tractor haulers' so here's some comments..

1) I looked at the 'link' you posted. NO details about the actual trailer design or materials needed but they sell a 'kit' for $2500. Converted to Canucks, that's about $3200. I can buy a 'road ready, brand new car hauler' for that up here . OK, it won't tilt,has 1 brake not two BUT 'no assembly required'... Used 'car haulers' go for 2000 of less any day of the week up here...

2) if only tractor hauling, don't make a 'car hauler' ! You can narrow the trailer for your tractor, saves material,reduces dead weight, increases load capacity. Also keeps trailer at home as nobody 'borrows' it to haul their dead pickup...I've shaved 500-600# off by redesigning 'basic car haulers'.

3) How well equipped is your shop and skill level ? It's critical to weld the frame so it's perfectly flat,level and true, no more than 1/8" off square and axles must be 'true' as well.

4) if you do build, install 7way junction boxes front and rear, run conruit between them,then 7c cable in the conduit. Add work lights in addition to backup lights .

5) check local papers 'trailer for sale'. It might be possible to buy a used one, even needing 'some repairs' for a lot less than a 'kit of parts' and a load of new steel.

6) price out materials, get the steel list and compute the weight. there's charts online for what steel weighs,tires,lumber.

After doing 'all of the above' for my BX23S I didn't build. as neighbour bought a trailer.Save me STORING a trailer I might use 10-12 times a year.

Reactions: 1 user

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Th and for the replies
There haven’t been any decent trailers for sale around here. They are either way too big or pieces of rusted junk that are asking way too much money.

I’ve built a few smaller trailers in the past and I have the skill to weld and fabricate. I haven’t found a trailer design I like so I figured I would ask here.

I was thinking about finding a decent plan then taking the cut list to my steel supplier and pricing out the cost of steel. Worse case scenario is I was $50 on plant that I won’t build.

I probably won’t buy their build package. I’ve ordered axles before and I can source most of the other stuff probably for a lot cheaper.

I just wanted to see if anyone had built a trailer and if anyone knew of a place with a good design. I’ve designed things in the past but I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole right now. I would rather find plans and have at it.

And for labor, the steel place can do most of the cuts, and I have my sons to help. And they will probably learn something too.

Reactions: 1 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Trailers for sale are in short supply. The dealers all blame the virus causing the shortage of parts and steel thus the shortage of trailers. Since Christmas PJ trailers have gone up 10%. I spent 2 days looking and calling to find a new trailer. It was a waste of time and energy. There are very few to be had. If you want to order one they are up to 5 months build time. One dealer told me he had over 30 people on a waiting list that was for trailer he had ordered in 2020.

I would check with your steel supplier and parts supplier before you invest much time and effort. You may not be able to buy what you need.

Also the money that you save by building your own might be lost when you go to sell the trailer as a lot of people will stay away from homemade trailers.

With that in mind and you have the time and the help I would say, "If you don't have pictures it did not happen."

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I don’t plan on ever selling the trailer. I’m always hauling stuff.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you don't have an adequate shop space with tools to handle the steel, keep it square and have someone there all the time to help measure, you will have a challenge.

I'd be checking Craig's List or Face Book Marketplace for something for sale. If you don't see some, post an ad that you're looking for one.

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
As stated before, I have the tools and shop, and I’ve built smaller trailers in the past. I wasn’t asking about equipment or shop space needed. My question was if anyone on here has built one or if they know if there are better plans to be found.

Thanks for your input though. Even if it was totally irrelevant to my posted question.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have not built a trailer, nor would I ever want to, but I am NJ and will share my trailer experience...

I was shopping trailers most of 2019, what I found for $3000-$3500 were absolute junk. I 'caved' and bought a new 16' PJ, for around 4k. Then quickly realized it wasnt long enough. It was VERY easy to sell and recoup most of the money. I would just bite the bullet, unless you have tons of time on your hands. The PJ trailers with the (9000 pound!) heavy duty equipment ramps w/ dove tail are a dream to load.

I love the post about buying $2000 trailers LOOOOL not in the North East you arent

also contrary to the above, depending on what you are doing with the trailer you do want the width. Buy / build as long and as wide as you can afford. If you plan on putting the tractor on the trailer with wide implements on the back you will appreciate the extra space.

i'll add, NJ and your insurance may be strict regarding home brew equipment trailers. I would not want to have any doubt pulling thousands of pounds down the highway. I dont see the value in buying $2,500 kit and having to do the labor and materials yourself. Just to give you an idea about steel prices right now... I just purchased a 12' long C5 beam, it was about $400, so I can imagine a whole trailer full of steel will add up fast sourcing the materials yourself.

Last edited:

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Thanks for your input. They sell the plans for $50. So that’s all I would be out. And I buy steel from a local guy that I get I-beams from as well as other stuff. Steel prices do factor in. But until I have a cut list, pricing is just speculation.

And I wouldn’t order the parts kit. Way too expensive from my past experience.

And 20’ deck is what I was thinking. It’s nice to know that a 16’ didn’t work for you.

I can make the time to build the trailer. And from the sounds of it, it might be faster to build it myself. Welding isn’t a problem, nor is having help.

The first hurdle is finding a design that I like. Mainly the wood deck, I want wood, not metal decking. And I have a mill, so I can cut my own oak decking.

But the plans... my search hasn’t shown me anything that totally fits my criteria. I could always use the plans I found then modify them to have a wood deck. And I like the idea of a tilt trailer, saves me from dealing with ramps.

I believe all you need to register a home made trailer is receipts for the axles, at least that’s all you use to need in NJ. And I won’t be towing it far, and probably not on the highway. And I can use it to haul logs, among other things. Lots of uses for a trailer.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If this is a project to do with your sons GO FOR IT!

If this is a job to save money - Run Forest, run.

It sounds like you have the abilities. "Projects" are how I taught each of my sons to weld/fabricate. I am working with son #3 right now on my boxblade project.

Reactions: 2 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
with your mill, your trailer may have the nicest oak deck in the state! I am really happy with 20', I think that will suit your LX + front and rear implements well.

I agree on tilt style too, so much better than dealing with ramps. If you do take on this project, please share here, it will be awesome to see it come together.

sorry for thread drift, but isnt it amazing what money people are asking for used, rusted garbage in this state?

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
If I can find decent plans I will see what steel will cost. And I’m not trying to save money. I think I can build a better trailer than I can buy.

And I can’t even find used trailers for sale anymore. It’s crazy out there. Someone was asking $1300 for a rusty POS with no title. Needed tires, probably brakes, all new electrical... not worth it

If I do take it in, I will start a thread. I’m still looking for decent plans but I might have to modify plant that I have found. But it will at least give me a jumping off point.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I need a trailer for my tractor and I’ve been thinking about building one. I figure a 5 ton trailer with a 20’ deck would be perfect. I have a LX2610 cab with a backhoe.

Has anyone built a trailer?

Ive been thinking about something like this. However, I would want a wood deck.

Has anyone built a trailer for their tractor??
Why do you want a wood deck that rots and is inconsistent in strength?
I have converted all three of my trailers from wood to steel decks replacing 2x8 boards with 2” X 8” steel purlins. Run a 2” bead of weld every 4 or 5 feet on the lower edge down one side, tacking it to the trailer-frame/base..then the next purlin attaches to it with an equal bead on the top edges. By the time you‘re finished you will have a permanent and very strong deck.
If you are concerned about traction, laying and tacking-down a layer of expanded-metal on top.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Had an acquaintance who bought a bunch of aluminum bleacher seat planking at auction, and began re-decking wood-decked trailers with it. It was the same size as 2 x 8 wood.
Best decking out there, and he made a killing, but he ran out before I heard about it.
Been keeping my eye out since, but no luck.

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I like the idea of wood because I can replace boards as needed, I can mill the wood myself, I can attach things to them if needed, and because it’s what I’m use to in equipment trailers.

Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As stated before, I have the tools and shop, and I’ve built smaller trailers in the past. I wasn’t asking about equipment or shop space needed. My question was if anyone on here has built one or if they know if there are better plans to be found.

Thanks for your input though. Even if it was totally irrelevant to my posted question.
My reading comprehension skill are really lacking, I apologize. I even went back to re-read what you stated and I STILL couldn't find any reference to your shop and ability to handle long steel.

My your home made trailer be just what you want! Another irrelevant comment.;)

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
That’s ok. I must have forgotten I asked several questions, such as, do you guys think I can handle large steel? And, do you think my shop is adequate? Do you think I have enough help on this project?
I thought I posed the question, has anyone built a trailer and is there a good source for plans.

Next time I will list all my equipment so I can be told if I’m deficient in anything. But maybe that would be a wast of time. On second thought, I will stick with relevant questions like...

Has anyone built a trailer for their tractor? Does anyone know of a good source for plans?

Maybe I wasn’t clear in my original post

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I just googled 'free trailer plans'.....
...so have a look here ...

should get you going, at least something to read !!
yeah,, from the other side of the pond BUT it's all listed,sizes and stuff. sure beats giving away $50 !

There's 100s of designs for 'haulers' , the trick is to take what you need from a few of them to make YOUR trailer a reality. Always best to write down a 'must have' list and critical dimensions. Up here my 'homebuilt' trailers don't need yearly inspections($$$),maybe you do ??? For sure put brakes on BOTH axles. Last tractor hauler I built used 16' 2by8 PT,2" angle iron 'upside down',front one spot welded ,keeps them in place. need to replace a board,rear board is bolted down,easy to redeck...15 minutes.

Last edited:

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Thank you. I will check it out.

I came across that website but I didn’t stay long because I realized it was “across the pond” but I will have a look at it.
The metric is hard to figure out! Lol