Thinking about building a trailer

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Glad I read this discussion about trailers built by anyone other than a manufacturer with a staff of engineers. We have a 5x8 my Dad built as a welding project in college using a beam axle from the front end of a Plymouth something which he found in a junkyard back in 1955 when he built it. Ran that on the road for several decades but now that I read this I’m thankful we relegated it to full time off road use when we put implement tires on it earlier this year (6.00 x 16 tires aren’t popular road tires these days). Probably dumb luck it’s made it 65 years without killing somebody seeing as how it never had an engineer emboss it with their PE stamp.

The 5 ton tandem axle flatbed; I guess I’ll need to scrap that thing. No PE stamp on that either. A welder certified for steam fitting built it in about 1989. He had jigs set up at his home shop for 16’ and 20’ equipment trailers. He made about 2 per month for 10 years or so before we bought that one but he wasn’t an engineer so there’s no telling how many Corolla’s full of toddlers he was responsible for crushing. That’s a relatively new one at only 30 years old so maybe that’s why it hasn’t broken in half yet. DOT inspector was good with it recently, but come to think of it, he wasn’t an engineer either so what does he know about it. (Yes it has been maintained and updated with a breakaway kit and standard 7 pin RV connector.)

All sarcasm aside, I truly have tremendous respect for engineers. There isn’t much that would get made without them.

If you truly want to understand how important, essential, and truly superior to “normal” people they are, ask three engineers. Odds are two of them won’t adequately explain it because they haven’t grasped the full scope of their superiority. The third will explain in great detail why 99% of the population is too stupid to open a pop top soda can without instructions from an engineer stamped on the can, and then will pontificate at length on the severe legal and medical consequences of not following those instructions to the letter.

Making a trailer is a project that should be taken seriously, but it’s not an airplane or skyscraper. There’s a reason I can run over to Northern Tool or get online at eTrailer or go to a variety of other places and buy all the components to build a trailer up to about 7 tons without any difficulty. Someone other than a trailer manufacturer building a trailer without the blessing of an engineer which still meets DOT spec isn’t exactly a rare occurrence.
<Mic Drop>

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
NCL4701 you have to take into consideration we are living in "covid times". Folks have been restrained for months, locked down inside without adequate social contact because of the necessity of "social distancing", reduced income and waiting for government handouts to survive, mislead about what is safe and what isn't. Those living in tight quarters have more restrictions. Topics online often take on a new dimension because of these restrictions and lack of outside activity.

I find patience an added requirement, or just passing on many conversations all together! I don't want to tell anyone about my trailers, ROPS, or the 6' door I installed in a 60' silo, but I am a miracle to be alive!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Just another update I thought I would share

I’m thinking I will build the 14k version. I need to get the axles ordered as well as other things. And I’m thinking about going with 4” drop axles. That way, loading my tractor with the backhoe won’t be an issue. As well as giving me a lower center of gravity and more stability.

But the real update is... my mason dump is registered at 12k. If I register the trailer at 14k, I will just be under the federal weight limit so I won’t need a CDL license or any of that other DOT stuff. Anything 26,001 pounds and over jumps everything into a different class.

I just thought I would share that with everyone. It took some research to find that info and normally I wouldn’t have even thought about it. It’s not really changing my build but for some folks it might

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have to agree 4" drop axles are the way to go ! Go 'underslung' as well, even lower !! It's 'crazy' to me how different states have different trailer laws and differ from federal ones as well...
Be sure to have brakes on BOTH axles ! Also get a printed copy of the actual laws for what's needed, keep a copy with the trailer...just in case......