There is one thing I despise about kubota, part pricing

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
i have a kubota B2350, it's a fairly well maintained, low time tractor (for it's age). it has 630 hours on it and it is in good mechanical condition. it needs a new steering control valve, if i just bought the OEM part it is $1,300.... absolutely ridiculous. it only drips fluid so i am just going to put up with it until fall (this is my only mowing machine). i am going to order the rebuild kit i have found online and have a guy that specializes in rebuilding hydraulic components. i figure the rebuild kit is $165 and i would probably end up paying him $150, so the total repair would be about $300. why cant kubota offer a re-manufactured part or a new part at a reasonable price. the next thing i would like to address is the rear fender. i had it repaired a few years ago and the repairs have held up well, but it's cracked where it meets the running board. it's still functional but if i wanted to restored the tractor to like new, forget it. that fender was quoted at $2,000, part cost install it myself

it's almost like kubota doesnt want to sell their customers parts. the parts are priced in such a fashion that it totals out a mechanically solid tractor that simply has some years on it. why price parts so incredibly expensive it just forces the customer to trade it in, if i traded it in.....it wouldnt be on another kubota if that's how they treat customers. i would probably trade it on a massey sub compact or compact.

this tractor has been a decent machine for me and i have thought it was a decent machine until i started to need some parts. i have a newer loader, bagger system, 54" deck, rear snowblower, tiller. the tiller and snowblower could carried over to a different tractor.

i bought this tractor thinking it was a few years older but it was lower time and still should have a long service life. i have had it 5 years so far. the part pricing is extremely frustrating.

PS could i install a metal fender from a later BX? was the BX2350 the only model with junky plastic body parts?

Reactions: 2 users

kcs 61

Equipment
B2650 , BH77,FDR1660, PFL2042,RCR1860,RB1672, RTR1258,BB1260
Apr 8, 2024
Va
I called my dealer this week and needed a belt for my finishing mower. FDR1660. I was quoted $105.62. WTF. I googled it and found several with the highest $95 and the lowest $15. I ordered 2 for $33 a piece. They will be delivered on Tuesday

• Wow

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
One problem every manufacturer has is the QUANTITY of any part. Take your 'steering control valve'. Quick ,how many did Kubota actually make 1,000, 10,000, a million of them ? If it's a part that can be used on several models, the cost per unit does go down but then there's inventory to deal with. How many can you store on a shelf and where ? Say that part is the size of a loaf of bread,you need GOOD packaging, labels and of course accurate computer records. How many of them were sold, how many were bought in the past year, 5 years, 10 years ? If it's not a 'fast mover', you stock less of them to make room for ,say, quarts of UDT.
I don't have a crystal ball to see how Kubota decides this, but I know it is a complex problem. I cut a lot of code 3 decades ago for 'inventory management',one place had 500 items, another 6500.
There's another side to this. CHEAP ,typically 'offshore' goods. The market is flooded with them, principally electronics like TVs,computers and smart phones. Those are sold in the millions on units and generally NOT worth fixing as cost to repair exceeeds the cost of buying the 'new and improved' one. My first PC cost just over $10K cdn. Today I can get a far superior product for $50.
In the end ,it's a numbers game.
As for the fender, assuming it's plastic, well, modify it to add additional support. Tractors ,by their nature, are used in rough, bouncy terrain.
BTW it's not just Kubota that have high prices. Left front fender trim( plastic, maybe 2 #s worth ) will set you back $523 CDN !

Reactions: 3 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
i have a kubota B2350, it's a fairly well maintained, low time tractor (for it's age). it has 630 hours on it and it is in good mechanical condition. it needs a new steering control valve, if i just bought the OEM part it is $1,300.... absolutely ridiculous. it only drips fluid so i am just going to put up with it until fall (this is my only mowing machine). i am going to order the rebuild kit i have found online and have a guy that specializes in rebuilding hydraulic components. i figure the rebuild kit is $165 and i would probably end up paying him $150, so the total repair would be about $300. why cant kubota offer a re-manufactured part or a new part at a reasonable price. the next thing i would like to address is the rear fender. i had it repaired a few years ago and the repairs have held up well, but it's cracked where it meets the running board. it's still functional but if i wanted to restored the tractor to like new, forget it. that fender was quoted at $2,000, part cost install it myself

it's almost like kubota doesnt want to sell their customers parts. the parts are priced in such a fashion that it totals out a mechanically solid tractor that simply has some years on it. why price parts so incredibly expensive it just forces the customer to trade it in, if i traded it in.....it wouldnt be on another kubota if that's how they treat customers. i would probably trade it on a massey sub compact or compact.

this tractor has been a decent machine for me and i have thought it was a decent machine until i started to need some parts. i have a newer loader, bagger system, 54" deck, rear snowblower, tiller. the tiller and snowblower could carried over to a different tractor.

i bought this tractor thinking it was a few years older but it was lower time and still should have a long service life. i have had it 5 years so far. the part pricing is extremely frustrating.

PS could i install a metal fender from a later BX? was the BX2350 the only model with junky plastic body parts?
Anybody remember the saga of Ronnie Bowman and Tractor Smart? Dealers make lots of money on high markup OEM parts and they like that.

Dan

• Love

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
in the automotive industry you have millions of cars that are bought, sold, scrapped, etc. You have millions (billions?) of owners and cars around. With that number of cars, there is a market for aftermarket stuff-a big market. And I'll add that the asian manufacturers have capitalized on this.

For tractors, they don't make maybe 1/1000 of the numbers that car manufacturers do. There ain't that many tractors out there in comparison, thus the marketing teams found that there is not nearly the market for aftermarket parts for them. If there ain't enough money in it, then they ain't gonna do it.

OEM parts are always higher, period. Doesn't matter if it's kubota, deere, cat, Mahindra, Daidong, Kukje, Yamaha, Yanmar, Ford, New Holland, etc-OE costs more than aftermarket. But generally speaking it's also a better part than an aftermarket one as well.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
@ad336 How long would YOU store in perfect, new condition a steering valve..?? and how much would You want for it…IF you could find someone who needed it..?

As for your question regarding Kubota selling “remanufactured” parts…. You’ve already answered that question… You can have one remanufactured for $300.… Why would Kubota want to keep remanufactured parts in-stock when an owner can fix his for $300…? (and what would You be willing to Pay Kubota for that remanufactured part IF they had one..?? Isn’t it likely that if they asked $750 for it…that you’d complain about that price… “when you can rebuild yours for $300..? )

It’s all about Kubota being in business for profit. They have to make money…. a profit…or they won’t be there when you Really Need them… like for when your steering control valve can’t Be rebuilt…

I had to spend a large chunk of money to replace my steering cylinder…. and I don’t have money to toss away…. But I’m simply grateful Kubota still surpports my 20+ year old tractor with new parts!
And I”m glad Kubota is Still Around and can do that. (I promise you GM does not carry steering-gears in-stock for my 20 year old GMC truck. I have to go after-market or the wrecking-yard for that.)

Reactions: 1 users

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
i fully understand the profit motive, but 2 grand for a piece of plastic mold injection garbage is beyond usury of the customer. the plastic it was made out of was of poor quality to begin with. there different grades of plastic, the better stuff can be very tough fiberglass hair reinforced, and cheap brittle crap on the low end. im sure this topic was already discussed years ago when that model was much newer.

before i bought my kubota my previous tractor was an antique, literally an antique. it was a 1948 IH farmall cub i had a 60" belly mower and a blade for snow work. while that vintage tractor couldn't do the same tasks there is absolutely something to be said about the build quality. they were built like a brick outhouse. it needed an engine overhaul and clutch work, i didnt have the time to work on it so i sent it down the road. i sometimes regret doing that.

im afraid i will eventually end up with a low time machine with body panels that eventually render the machine unusable.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I always find it so interesting when someone comes on here and complains about the prices to properly maintain their expensive tractor. :confused:

I wonder if Lamborghini and Ferrari owners do the same things? :unsure:
I personally don't expect my Cadillac parts to cost the same as Hyundai parts. :rolleyes:
I also don't expect subpar, rebuilt, and aftermarket parts to be anywhere near the quality of OEM Kubota Parts.

Kubota tractors have consistently and constantly maintained a very high valve after original sale.
You can almost be guaranteed to be able to sell your well maintained unit for top dollar.

If your so unhappy with it, please don't come on here and complain.
Just sell it and go buy something else!

• Love

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I had a BX2350. Just about every piece of plastic on it was broken. Didn't change any of the functionality, so I never fixed any of them. I suspect there's very little market for new plastics because most tractor owners don't mind broken plastic - so they're expensive because they're slow moving items.

Yes, the BX2350 was a mistake. The only plastic bodied tractor Kubota made I think. They made it because the equivalent Deere was plastic, and people seemed to like it. The Deere plastic I think was a bit heavier gauge, I also think that Kubota owners expect a bit more of their machine. Kubota went back to metal pretty quickly.

I always figured I'd be able to buy the parts cheap from a wrecked BX2350 sometime. But apparently they never break down, so people are never parting them out. Good problem to have I guess.

Last edited:

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
Just ordered a big chunk of plastic for my new-to-me tractor from my local dealer. While ~$300 is a lot for a 13-lb piece of plastic, I think it was reasonable enough in today's inflation-driven market. Ordered 15 other little odds and ends as well, and thought the same thing. Not cheap, but I didn't feel like I was getting ripped off anymore than if I had gone down to my local Chevy or Toyota dealer and ordered similar parts. Now, ordering a new set of wheels and tires from there left me flabbergasted at how CHEAP they were. Really, $500 for a set of front and rear R4 wheels and tires, already mounted? Hard to beat that. In the end, it's simple supply and demand as mentioned above.

$300 chunk of plastic:

• Wow

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Next time try buying New Holland or Deere parts.

Then you will be happy and thankful when you finally realize that your Kubota dealer stocks parts at a reasonable price over a long time frame, even for old models.

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, went to K CDA, fender for BX2350D is just $995 CDN ,so wonder why USA version is $1300 USD ?
BX23s is close, might bolt on but holes for lever ??? aren't same...

You could remove fender and reinforce it. Check what 'plastic' it is, go to auto paint supplier, buy 2 or 3 tubes of the PROPER adhesive used for bumper repairs. Cut same type plastic as reinforcement plates, clean the fender,PROPERLY mix the adhesive, apply plates, allow it to PROPERLY cure for at least 2 days.

The fender should be molded with type of plastic on it (ie: <PP> for Polypropelene ). I KNOW th eguy next door repairs LOTS of bumpers with the PROPER adhesive , it WORKS ! He's never had a return/ do-ver in 15 years.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade, Homemade Carry All
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
There is a saying, "When you buy a Mercedes, buy two.". My simplicity legacy was the same way. I knew going into buying my Kubota it was going to cost me.....look at my deck wheels at $123 a piece plus $38 for bushings.....

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
A little off topic, but only because it’s about my sawmill. I did something stupid on my sawmill this spring a tightened the drive belt to much and burned up the idler pulley. Called up the manufacturer and asked if they had a replacement pulley for my 20 year old mill. Yup he said, that will be $75.00, to which I said I’ll take it and a couple of guide rollers for the blades. $237.00 out of my pocket, and I was glad that they still had the parts on the shelf and were shipped that day. So yes parts are not cheap, but my sawmill would be a boat anchor if not for the fact that they still had them available .

Reactions: 4 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The only good thing that I can say about owning a Mercedes is you don't want to own it out of warranty, and almost no matter how old it is, parts are still available, but they might be on the shelf in Germany.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
A parts-counter guy that I have known for most of my life told me many years ago that his suppliers were transitioning from a business model that adds a margin to the production cost of a part to a business model that compensates for the shelf space that inventorying the part requires.

A small high-mover part (like a popular oil filter) doesn't incur much of this cost, but parts that are large, and sit on a shelf for years or even decades, can rack up a large inventory cost. Suppliers are seeking to offset their costs to put a roof over that inventory, and to manage its flow.

When you start thinking about all the inputs to bring that needed part to you, BESIDES those which go into the production of that part, it adds up!

Think of all the product that is now being managed in automated warehouses (think, no forklifts). Point is that there has been huge investment in just managing inventory to minimize marginal costs and, by extension, maximize marginal returns).

Also, compare the ease of obtaining NOS parts for 30 year-old Kubota tractors to obtaining NOS parts for a 30 year-old car. I have often been amazed to find that old NOS parts are still on the shelf...feels like stepping into a time warp!

-Paul

• Love

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
i have a kubota B2350, it's a fairly well maintained, low time tractor (for it's age). it has 630 hours on it and it is in good mechanical condition. it needs a new steering control valve, if i just bought the OEM part it is $1,300.... absolutely ridiculous. it only drips fluid so i am just going to put up with it until fall (this is my only mowing machine).
My perspective re your tractor is somewhat different. You bought a used tractor (circa 2014?) that has served you well for a few years, has 630 hours on it and is in good mechanical condition. Those are all positives. It's still running and working but with a slow oil leak, and the only money you "have" to put into it is to either buy a new steering control valve or have the current one rebuilt. What the heck are you complaining about? Do you expect to never have to put any money into a tractor? The fact that the only expense over your ownership is a rebuilt steering valve is a good thing. The fact that you have the option to rebuild the one you have rather than buy new is a good thing.

As for Kubota prices, I've never had to repair anything on a Kubota tractor yet, but if/when that happens I'll deal with it since those occurrences are few and far between. Maintenance goes a long way to happy ownership, looking after these expensive pieces of equipment goes a long way to happy ownership.

You can bet that I follow the maintenance schedule listed in both owner's manuals, and I'll only use Kubota filters and hydraulic oil. I just replaced the coolant in the MX a few months late i.e. 28 months rather than 24 months, but it's done. That's one of those maintenance jobs that's easy to overlook. Thankfully we have members like @The Evil Twin who sends out reminders. 😂

• Love

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I always find it so interesting when someone comes on here and complains about the prices to properly maintain their expensive tractor. :confused:

I personally don't expect my Cadillac parts to cost the same as Hyundai parts. :rolleyes:
I also don't expect subpar, rebuilt, and aftermarket parts to be anywhere near the quality of OEM Kubota Parts.

Kubota tractors have consistently and constantly maintained a very high valve after original sale.
You can almost be guaranteed to be able to sell your well maintained unit for top dollar.

I like to hear him complain. I feel similarly. If issues cant be discussed honestly here the site loses credibility. It is what it is.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

I have a friend who bought an 8 year old low milage Bentley.
Nice car, with beautiful natural leather interior, but left headlight replacement (with labor) was $3,500.
Later, the Bentley had a wiring defect, and burned to a crisp.

Next, he bought an 8 year old Rolls Royce.
Sold that, and bought an exceptionally low milage 15 year old Cadillac.
What can I say?
He is a US citizen, but was born/raised in GB.

Last edited: