TG1860 question

Hfrs7

Equipment
Grand L 6060 --- ZD 326
Nov 2, 2014
Alabama
Just purchased a used TG1860 with a 48 inch deck. I noticed a gold colored rod hanging under it near the rear of the deck. It connects to a belt tensioner pulley but I don't know where the other end connects. I will share a photo. Any ideas???

Thanks

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Try pushing the mower by hand without it running. Then try pushing mower while pulling on the rod. May be the handle to allow the unit to be pushed if the motor quits running, or for a quick move without having to start it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Can you post photos of the other end of the rod.

Do you know the model number of your mower deck. To look at Messicks' mower deck parts, you need the mower model number and I have no idea for a TG1860.

Are you diesel or gas as they seem to be different.

Sometimes there are rods working as belt retainers ensuring belts do not come off pulleys. They form a loop over the pulley with the belt in place. To install a new belt you release one end of the loop. Just guessing on your issue with this idea.

Dave M7040

Hfrs7

Equipment
Grand L 6060 --- ZD 326
Nov 2, 2014
Alabama
Thanks but it is not the hydro release rod. I understand the other end of the rod hooks in a notch on the axle. It keeps tension on the blade drive belt. Undoubtedly the belt is installed wrong not allowing tension to be held causing it to just fall loose. It is a diesel model with a 48 inch deck.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Interesting, Hfrs7 you answered your own question in post #4! It's called the "tension spring rod".

One end hooks in a notch by the rear wheel. The other end attaches to a triangle piece with three holes in each corner. The tension spring that pulls the tension pulley against the long belt goes in the front most hole. The tension rod goes in the hole closest to that right wheel (and keeps tension on the spring)

Hfrs7

Equipment
Grand L 6060 --- ZD 326
Nov 2, 2014
Alabama
That's right. Got a message advising me it was a tension rod. Problem now is that it has no tension. I'm trying to find a belt routing diagram to see if the belt was installed wrong by the previous owner..... thanks.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
This advice is an educated guess.

I marked up one of your photos

Currently the spring has no tension on it because the tension rod is not hooked on anything.

The hex head in the yellow circle may be to put a socket on so you can rotate the spring tension plate where one end of the spring is currently hooked, thus pulling on the spring and creating tension in it. The spring tension plate appears to rotate about the red circle.

If the hex head in the yellow circle can be rotated with a wrench and as you rotate it you are pulling the spring, then you are going in the right direction.

With tension in the spring, find where the mushroomed head on the end of the tension rod hooks to such as the rear axle. The spring now will have tension and keep the tension rod from falling off and at the same time apply pressure on the pulley keeping the belt tight.

I think the belt is on correctly it just that the spring has no force in it to keep the pulley pressed against the belt.

Dave M7040

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The only issue I can see is that the belt is installed wrong.
So you just need to move both runs of the belt to the other side of the idler pulley. ;)

Last edited:

Hfrs7

Equipment
Grand L 6060 --- ZD 326
Nov 2, 2014
Alabama
Got it....thanks. The belt was on the wrong side of the pulley. Working now.
Next question.....
Dealer gave me UDT for the hydro drive. Book says 20w 50 motor oil......Which is correct? Old oil smells like it contains both. UGH !!!!!!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The transmission's manual (transmission is made by Hydrogear) says 20w50 only, and nothing else.

They're a "bear" (to use a polite word) to change fluid and especially the filter in too. You've been warned.

Sounds like you have the primary deck belt tensioner figured out. The rod goes into a slot on the back of the frame, kinda by the rear right side axle area. That's what holds tension on the spring.

Long Con

Equipment
TG-1860
Jun 9, 2021
Canada
Maybe this will help isolate the problem. There isn't much room to work under there. Have to be a contortionist monkey to reach very far into the deck. Could be the wrong belt!
Where can I find the instructions in the picture?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Where can I find the instructions in the picture?
You are posting in a thread from 2017. The forum has undergone upgrades in the intervene years + start a new thread to get answers to your issues.

Start a conversation with me and in it send me your email address. I will help you out

Dave