Temperature Gauge Falsely Reading Hot

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
BX2360 with 450 hours. Temperature gauge shoots up to red, or close to it. This happens sporadically when tractor is not working hard, in low temps. I’ll turn it off for a minute, turn back on and gauge goes back down and is fine. That and that this happening when engine does not feel hot leads me to believe it is a gauge issue, rather than an overheating issue.

What could cause this?

Second issue I’m hoping to get an opinion about. I actually had this in the dealer to figure out what was causing this. Basically, they couldn’t figure it out. They steamed the radiator and changed the thermostat. That and letting it run to see if they could recreate it, which they couldn’t. I was hoping this would have fixed it, but it didn’t.

I got billed $600 for this. Subsequently, issue occurred again (why I’m posting this). I have not paid bill yet and plan to call and ask for a reduction. Seems steep for what was done, especially since it’s not fixed. Am I off base here? I mean they did do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
BX2360 with 450 hours. Temperature gauge shoots up to red, or close to it. This happens sporadically when tractor is not working hard, in low temps. I’ll turn it off for a minute, turn back on and gauge goes back down and is fine. That and that this happening when engine does not feel hot leads me to believe it is a gauge issue, rather than an overheating issue.

What could cause this?

Second issue I’m hoping to get an opinion about. I actually had this in the dealer to figure out what was causing this. Basically, they couldn’t figure it out. They steamed the radiator and changed the thermostat. That and letting it run to see if they could recreate it, which they couldn’t. I was hoping this would have fixed it, but it didn’t.

I got billed $600 for this. Subsequently, issue occurred again (why I’m posting this). I have not paid bill yet and plan to call and ask for a reduction. Seems steep for what was done, especially since it’s not fixed. Am I off base here? I mean they did do the work.

If not fixed.....no pay....

Check ground/lead on gauge, see if wire is damaged - unhook it at sensor and place back.

AS for paying - if you must pay, pay for the bath, nothing else.

You have a wiring issue or a bad spastic gauge.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds electrical to me. Think I'd replace the sending unit and possibly the gauge and then the wiring.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
As when diagnosing any ailment, it is always good to get a second opinion.

Fit another heat sensitive display device!

jakemaxwell806

Sep 27, 2018
US
Its what I call a lieing guage I have seen it different times even on one new tractor old school is ease radiator cap let pressure off if a lot of pressure wait to remove you don't want burnt after cap is removed use a candy thermometer to check temperature better way is use a thermo detector point it at thermostat housing is best place

What could cause this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Thanks for the responses. I will look into how I would do some of these suggestions, like change the gauge.

I know I should have a thermal thermometer, and should just get one.

I also plan to call the dealer and see about a significant reduction in the bill. Good to know I wasn’t just being a jerk.

jakemaxwell806

Sep 27, 2018
US
Hope its a simple fix an the dealer does you right that's an expensive radiator cleaning an problem not fixed poor mechanic it appears
Thanks for the responses. I will look into how I would do some of these suggestions, like change the gauge.

I also plan to call the dealer and see about a significant reduction in the bill. Good to know I wasn’t just being a jerk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
At 450 hours, the likelihood of the radiator needing to be cleaned internally is really remote. Cleaning the outside of the radiator might have been necessary but $600.00? $100.00 would be overkill. That system consists of a sending unit, a gauge and the wire to connect them. I would suspect the wire. You might have mice.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

My opinion, when it comes to my hard earned money, being a jerk isn't part of it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Has it been out in the rain, there was a rash of bad connections on the back of the instrument clusters on some BX models.

Check the sending unit, easy it's a potentiometer.
Check the wiring and connectors for any damage or corrosion, this also includes the ground connections.
Checking or changing the temp gauge is going to be about impossible or very costly as it's one complete unit that cost $400 Plus dollars.

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I bought a used B7500 a few years back. The temp gauge acted exactly like you describe. It was a Wolf man described, the ground connection had corroded where the wiring harness plugged in to the back of the instrument cluster. I carefully cleaned the plug and socket. Applied a small amount of dielectric grease and all has been fine.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I bought a used B7500 a few years back. The temp gauge acted exactly like you describe. It was a Wolf man described, the ground connection had corroded where the wiring harness plugged in to the back of the instrument cluster. I carefully cleaned the plug and socket. Applied a small amount of dielectric grease and all has been fine.
mmm......never thought about the ground ......:rolleyes:;)

post #3 :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
To the OP, did you do a simple cleaning of the connection at the sending unit?
Mine is also a BX2360, and mine acted up there twice several years apart.

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Thanks again for all the suggestions!

To answer some of the questions...this tractor sits outside under a deck for some very limited protection. In addition I tarp it in the winter. I know it’s not ideal, but I don’t have an outbuilding for it yet.

I have done very little checking of wires yet. To try to summarize, I’ve had a problem battling mice for years. Due to nests, there has been times the tractor has overheated. However, a good cleaning seemed to resolve this. That’s why I wasn’t sure if this was a overheating issue, or a gauge related issue. At this point I’m almost positive the issue is not due to overheating for reasons already stated.

When the issue continued, and I wasn’t able to resolve it, I decided to have it taken to the dealer, which I’ve been historically satisfied with the service at.

I talked to the dealer today, and they are willing to negotiate the bill, and try to resolve this for no further charge. They were great, and asked for the opportunity to “make it right.”

I may still try to look into some of the suggestions here myself. Either way, it’s good info. This also prompted me to finally buy a thermo laser.

This site is amazing for help!