Temp Gauge Malfunction???

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
First off, I will attest I searched my WSM first.:cool:

BX2360 with 130 hours, mowing with 54" MMM this time of year. Everything is well-kept.

Did usual pre-op inspection prior to use. Everything normal. I really do that; almost never start it without checking oil and other fluids, and a basic once-over.

Mowed for 10-15 minutes, no more, after 3 minute warm up. Flat, level, easy grass. About 80 degrees outside. I was just touching up - maybe 2,100 rpm.

Parked tractor to talk to wife 10 minutes (well, she might have been talking AT me).

Started tractor again at idle - temp gauge goes to just shy of HOT HOT!

Left it running a minute, staring at gauge. Doesn't budge.

Open hood while running and grab top radiator hose. Definitely not HOT HOT - but does feel fluid-filled. Maybe 120-130 or so - it was hot water faucet hot. (I used to be a restaurant cook - so decent judge of temp)

Tap the dash, and needle wobbles.

Shut tractor off. No hot engine sounds - popping, cracking, etc. No hot smell.

Started back up - temp needle resets to perfect spot on the gauge - right in the middle.

Antifreeze is full, clean. Fan belt as new, tension good.

I did find a very small gob of grass between the radiator and screen. Radiator looks aluminum? Maybe not real efficient at dissipating heat?

My other thought is a funky temp gauge? Connection at temp sensor clean/tight. Did not open up the dash for further research. The fuel and temp needles reset each time started, so wonder if something stuck?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If electric, the gauge is probably fine, it's the sending unit that's going south.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good suggestion - I've looked at 'em too and haven't bought one (yet)!:p
it comes in handy for all kinds of stuff!!! grillin' - shoot I was deep frying and pointed it in the oil.......375 on the dot ! True - I bought mine to see how hot my B7100 gets !:D:)

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
it comes in handy for all kinds of stuff!!! grillin' - shoot I was deep frying and pointed it in the oil.......375 on the dot ! True - I bought mine to see how hot my B7100 gets !:D:)
A cheap diagnostic tool with many uses. I use it to spot hot bearings in the hay baler, spindles in lawnmowers, crud deposits(hot spots) in engine blocks, you name it, it'l help you figger it out...:D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
A cheap diagnostic tool with many uses. I use it to spot hot bearings in the hay baler, spindles in lawnmowers, crud deposits(hot spots) in engine blocks, you name it, it'l help you figger it out...:D
Will it pick out hot bales of hay on the wagon or the loft? It is setting up to be another one of those years.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Shoot - I made the 38 mile trip to Harbor Freight this morning, and didn't put it on my list.....I don't get down there very often........AAARRGGGHHH!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If electric, the gauge is probably fine, it's the sending unit that's going south.
Good point - never had a sensor good bad, but no reason why they can't.

Not really any way to check the sensor, either?

It's single wire, so just as long as tight and clean.....

Maybe pull it, stick in boiling/hot water, then see what gauge does?

Not sure if gauge resets at GP activation, or after it turns over....

Something to look at!:cool:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Shoot - I made the 38 mile trip to Harbor Freight this morning, and didn't put it on my list.....I don't get down there very often........AAARRGGGHHH!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
Lots of IR thermometers on amazon. It will be over $35 so pick one with free shipping to your door.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If it's a single wire sending unit, they usually work off from resistance to ground. Higher temp, the higher resistance it has. If your having intermittent temps where it's reading normal, shut it off and then pegged the next time you start it. I would first disconnect the wire from the sending unit while gauge is still pegged, and then check it. If gauge stays pegged with the wire disconnected then there is a short in the wire somewhere :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Lots of IR thermometers on amazon. It will be over $35 so pick one with free shipping to your door.
Unfortunately, I don't use credit cards unless necessary, and seldom buy stuff over the internet. :(

Not that I can't; I'm just too old fashioned.:eek:

With that said, I have made 4 or 5 purchases for the Kubota over the internet!

I set up a PayPal account for one purchase; now all I get are "Unusual Activity" emails from an address that isn't a paypal.com address.

I don't get charges on my credit card.

Don't know if I should respond to them or not. My choice is not.

Cash is simple......

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Unfortunately, I don't use credit cards unless necessary, and seldom buy stuff over the internet. :(

Not that I can't; I'm just too old fashioned.:eek:

With that said, I have made 4 or 5 purchases for the Kubota over the internet!

I set up a PayPal account for one purchase; now all I get are "Unusual Activity" emails from an address that isn't a paypal.com address.

I don't get charges on my credit card.

Don't know if I should respond to them or not. My choice is not.

Cash is simple......
Credit Cards are pretty safe as the credit card bank is responsible for unauthorized purchases. I have had unauthorized charges several times and the bank sends an email or calls to inform me of a suspicious charge almost immediately. I have never had to pay for an unauthorized charge or had the bank question a charge that I said was unauthorized. The only hassle is your credit card is cancelled and you are sent a new card with a new number. I think the larger issue is users who can't control their own spending. I have never carried a balance from month to month, its paid in full by the due date. All that said and I can also understand your position of wanting to deal in the safety of cash.
Amazon is nice when you live 20 miles from three towns of less than 10,000 and 50 miles to a town big enough to have a Home Depot, Walmart, Tractor Supply and not much more. Shopping can be limited.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Amazon is nice when you live 20 miles from three towns of less than 10,000 and 50 miles to a town big enough to have a Home Depot, Walmart, Tractor Supply and not much more. Shopping can be limited.
Yeah, similar here, but we do have a Lowes and TSC within 10 miles.

I just need to get with the times. Once a farmboy, always a farmboy.:eek:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So,not a case of heat soak?
Go to gas station and fill my truck. Restart and guage is near pinned out. In a minute it drops and stabilizes.
Sticky guage would come to mind. Ohmmeter test cold and at operating temp. Record the numbers. If it does it again you have numbers to compare, could rule out bad sensor.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yeah, similar here, but we do have a Lowes and TSC within 10 miles.

I just need to get with the times. Once a farmboy, always a farmboy.:eek:
I was born a city boy .....but love the country life! I too aint fond of credit cards, havent use one (visa-MC) in like 20 years.....but I do use my lowes card, and get 5% off on every purchase - hell that ALMOST covers the tax....and I too pay it off at the end of the month. I love Amazon , and even when something gets screwed up - amazon always has fixed it. Even bought a XBOX360 card that was bogus - took a me two weeks to convince amazon that I wasnt crazy, but truly internet transactions are safer than when you use to call a company and give your number over the phone!!! Amazon never really sees the card - just the fact the amount is covered.....when you call someone , they can write IT down!:)