Tell me what NOT to do!

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Check your tire pressures from time to time...ESPECIALLY if you're going to do loader work.
I have an ultra slow leak in 1 front tire and flattened it one day when picking up a medium load with the FEL.

Always go up or down a steep hill...never across it.

Reactions: 2 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
If you think what you are doing may be a stupid idea, it most likely is. Stop and look for an alternative measure.
Ask these guys here for technical stuff. A world of info,

Farmer J

Equipment
L3901/LA525
Aug 28, 2022
Oklahoma
Howdy from OK! I’m new here but not to machines.

Congrats on the new tractor! Treat it well and with respect and it will serve you well. A couple points to consider, some mentioned above, some not:
As stated, read the book and then read it again later to digest. Take time to familiarize yourself with the machine, controls, indicators, etc…. Do a walk around WITH the manual in hand so you are familiar with the safety features, fluid fills, fluid checks, filters, grease fittings, etc… Then take it for a couple test cruises, just to get familiar with handling, throttle, braking, and how the hydro tranny works and responds.

Check the tire pressure and all fluids initially and then regularly there after. Make yourself a simple checklist or a journal to document repairs, fluid changes, mods, problems, etc…

Check the wheel spacing: Many if not all machines come with wheels in the narrow configuration from shipping. This is not always the best set up for you. Read up on the subject. Also read about tire ballast, wheel weights and rear ballast so you are informed and can make the adjustments / additions needed for your conditions.

it’s been said above, but worth repeating, when driving, keep the bucket low until you need it higher- below the hood is a good general point of reference for most machines. Heed the advice on when to use 4wd, how to traverse hills, steep grades, etc…

Enjoy the new tractor, it should make work on your property easier, and be enjoyabl. And be forewarned, they have a way of spending your money!

Reactions: 1 user

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Howdy. I just bought a brand new L3560HST. Got a bucket and a mower too. I have never owned or operated any of this equipment. Looking for advice on things one shouldn't do. Like: "don't drive perpendicular through a ditch with your mower attached, you'll break the PTO shaft!"
Should do's are ok too. I'm reading the manual, so that should cover most maintenance type things.
Ballast!
If your lifting heavy weight in the bucket you rear tires could come off the ground! If that happens going down a slope you will get in trouble really fast! At that point the brakes may not even help you. Dropping the bucket to the ground will get you back in control! Dont ask me how I know! A ballast box or heavy implement on the back and or fluid filled rear tires are needed!

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Howdy. I just bought a brand new L3560HST. Got a bucket and a mower too. I have never owned or operated any of this equipment. Looking for advice on things one shouldn't do. Like: "don't drive perpendicular through a ditch with your mower attached, you'll break the PTO shaft!"
Should do's are ok too. I'm reading the manual, so that should cover most maintenance type things.
ANSWER: Avoid posting open ended non-specific questions to anonymous usergroups asking for advice on what you should or should not do.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down, it is the most important thing to do with your tractor.

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
When I bought my first tractor, mid-90s, dealer took me to the back lot and showed me two Kubotas that were a real mess. Each had rolled over, one down a hillside an the other down into a creekbed. Both drivers lived and were ok, and both were wearing the seat belt. Might want to consider making the seat belt a habit.

Note: assuming you are using the ROPS.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Tell me what NOT to do!

Trust a fart after a night of heavy drinking.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Don't run the tractor unless you're using it (sitting in the driver's seat).
Don't operate it under influence.
Don't forget to do maintenance (greasing etc).
Don't operate it fast on slopes and uneven terrain.
Don't use oversized or undersized implements on it.
Don't forget to set the park brake when getting off.
Don't forget to put on seat belt.
Don't use the tractor around kids or pets.
Don't transport it using an undersized trailer or truck.
Don't let others loan or operate it.

Clint from Flint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2350, B26 TLB, Covington Plant., Landpride Tiller, Hustler Flip-up
Dec 12, 2020
Flint, Texas
If the bucket is loaded, keep the bucket LOW and the speed SLOW

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Don’t let the kids learn how to drive them!!! 😂

B7BC4718-09FE-4B47-9B1A-5F037028694E.jpeg

0F94F1D4-D890-433B-B7B7-C308D4B24447.jpeg

Next thing you know, they figure out how to unlock the brakes and cut donuts in the yard 😂

or digholes 😂

CE34ABCE-B500-440C-B003-DF802DE99D81.jpeg

And yes, I’ve read all the warning labels 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

UnionParish45

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Bernice, LA
Along with all of the stuff already written, I will pass on a mistake I made with my first tractor purchased a little over a year ago. Develop a routine for making sure the parking brake is off when using the tractor. It will move with the parking brake on and eventually start smoking😳. Also, don’t trust the parking brake to hold the tractor when you are parking. Drop the FEL and implement, too.

Reactions: 5 users

ScottHam

Equipment
Kubota L3560HST-LE 4WD; R4 tires; Armstrong Ag BRG-mini grapple; 1272 box blade
Jul 9, 2022
Texas Hill Country
I'll picking mine up next week, so I think I'll piggy back off your thread if you don't mind :)

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID

PNWL3560

Equipment
2022 L3560, LA805, RCR-1860
Aug 23, 2022
Oregon
Thanks everyone, and keep em coming. I do have ballast in the tires and I had the dealer set the tires to the widest setting. I will be working on hills and in a creek bed. Probably have it in 4wd all the time. Good tip to check all lubrication in case dealer missed.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If no one else mentioned it, don't ignore those flashing lights on the dash, and do read the sections in the owner's manual on how to take your tractor through a regeneration cycle.

Here is a link to some new owner hints on this topic. It was written with an L3560 so should look familiar to you.

Last edited:

botaskinner

Equipment
B2320HST, Land Pride 48" BB, LA304 Loader, TSC Middle buster, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jul 7, 2016
watsonville, ca
Grab your manual and a torque wrench and verify proper torque of lug bolts, loader subframes, and any other fastener the manual refers to.

And make sure your loader pivot points are well greased, in other words don't assume the dealer prepped everything correctly.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Lots of good tips. Measure the height of the ROPs and the height of your garage door opening before you try to dive in the garage the first time.
Check all bolts for proper torque and recheck wheel nuts at least every other use.

As for speed ranges, L is for Loader, M is for mowing, 3 point work or brush hogging and H is for traveling (Highway).
Invest in a good grease gun and hit all those zerks. I do my mower every 3 mows and my FEL after every other use or every use if it is raining or snowing. I error on the side of too much grease vs not enough. Check all fluids including your front differential if 4wd.
Download a shop manual and get to know your machine even better.
Not really related to the Orange but look at getting a larger fuel storage tank that you can either pump or pull in fuel from those 5 gal cans. Much easier to hold a nozzle in the tank and turn the handle to fuel. I currently have a 30gal tank and will be upgrading to 100gal once my barn is done.