Talked Out Of Rear Remotes

Jkend74

Equipment
L2501
Sep 22, 2021
Ohio
Monday I ordered a kubota l2501 with backhoe, 3rd function and grapple. It will take a few weeks to get here.

The salesmen ended up talking me out of the rear remotes but I’m still not sure about that decision. He said I could still add it onto the financing if I change my mind before getting the tractor.

Still not sure what I’d use the rear remotes for other than adjusting my rear blade while plowing snow. Should I add it on or wait and see if I need it?

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Just speculating that the real reason he didn’t want to quote it really had more to do with the Backhoe option itself causing any ‘Top-n-Tilt’ option (at least from Kubota, anyway) to then be unavailable in his order configurator (these would be the cylinders to go along with the Rear Remote valves).
I have just about the same configuration as you and I didn’t have the Rear Remotes added at time of order, but in retrospect wish I had. I was able to order all that in and do it myself, and Fit-Rite Hydraulics is building me a Top Link and Side Link to go along with the (3) Rear Remotes that I later added on my own.
Gotta wonder if there are clearance issues with the cylinders that Kubota uses.
I do a lot of gravel work and snow removal and after jumping off the tractor in the snow to fiddle with links for a few winters, I’m thrilled now with the thought of doing that on the fly.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Big mistake. He might be a great salesman but he is a crappy tractor guy.

Do it now, wait an extra week if that is what it takes. You will NEVER regret having the remotes. You will be more productive, you will do a better quality job and have a lot more options available to you.

Guys that don't have them will swear you don't need them. Guys that have them laugh at that.

I posted a few pictures on the thread below.

Reactions: 5 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I don’t have a backhoe so feel free to ignore if you wish.

I got the third function for the loader with purchase, got 3 rear remotes with top/tail later. Kind of wish I’d had the top/tilt earlier but wasn’t sure I wanted to spend that much on it at time of purchase. Wasn’t financing so rolling into loan wasn’t a factor.

Reasoning: The third function added $250 to cost of machine at purchase because my tractor was in stock on the lot. The dealer swapped the third function off another tractor on the lot and was able to still sell everything as new. Adding third function later would have been much more expensive.

Asked price quote for rear remotes at purchase. Not cheap. Asked what price would be if done later. Same price. Had been turning turnbuckles about 45 years so skipped the remotes. Got tired of turning turnbuckles, on with remotes and rear hydraulics. Only advantage was by the time I ordered them I had enough experience on the machine to KNOW what I wanted. Dealer sort of tried to talk me out of a float detent unless I had a good reason. At purchase that might have worked. By the time I got them, I knew I definitely wanted a float detent. I would have regretted not getting a float detent.

If doing it yourself, good chance you could save $ going A/M on remotes.

Agree with NHSleddog. Top/tilt are night/day better than turnbuckles for 3 point work.

D

Deleted member 47704

Do it now while the tractor is clean.

Reactions: 1 users
D

Deleted member 47704

I don’t have a backhoe so feel free to ignore if you wish.

I got the third function for the loader with purchase, got 3 rear remotes with top/tail later. Kind of wish I’d had the top/tilt earlier but wasn’t sure I wanted to spend that much on it at time of purchase. Wasn’t financing so rolling into loan wasn’t a factor.

Reasoning: The third function added $250 to cost of machine at purchase because my tractor was in stock on the lot. The dealer swapped the third function off another tractor on the lot and was able to still sell everything as new. Adding third function later would have been much more expensive.

Asked price quote for rear remotes at purchase. Not cheap. Asked what price would be if done later. Same price. Had been turning turnbuckles about 45 years so skipped the remotes. Got tired of turning turnbuckles, on with remotes and rear hydraulics. Only advantage was by the time I ordered them I had enough experience on the machine to KNOW what I wanted. Dealer sort of tried to talk me out of a float detent unless I had a good reason. At purchase that might have worked. By the time I got them, I knew I definitely wanted a float detent. I would have regretted not getting a float detent.

If doing it yourself, good chance you could save $ going A/M on remotes.

Agree with NHSleddog. Top/tilt are night/day better than turnbuckles for 3 point work.

Research A/M thoroughly, I found one remote set up took away one function on your loader and the popular set up looks like ball of hydraulic fittings.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
The only regret I have in my L2501 order was not getting the rear remotes. I will add them in the spring. Get them now.

Jkend74

Equipment
L2501
Sep 22, 2021
Ohio
Thanks everybody! Guess I’ll be giving my dealer a call and adding them to my order tomorrow.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Monday I ordered a kubota l2501 with backhoe, 3rd function and grapple. It will take a few weeks to get here.

The salesmen ended up talking me out of the rear remotes but I’m still not sure about that decision. He said I could still add it onto the financing if I change my mind before getting the tractor.

Still not sure what I’d use the rear remotes for other than adjusting my rear blade while plowing snow. Should I add it on or wait and see if I need it?
Absolutely!
GET REAR REMOTES........at least two (I have 3)!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
have to ask...
is the '3rd function' a TRUE 3rd function or a switch between 2 functions ?
If it's NOT a true 3rd function, drop it, get the 2 rear remotes, plumb one to the grapple. That way you HAVE a true 3d function up front.
While I have no need for 'top and tilt', if I put a grapple on ,I'd have to have full time control over it

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
have to ask...
is the '3rd function' a TRUE 3rd function or a switch between 2 functions ?
If it's NOT a true 3rd function, drop it, get the 2 rear remotes, plumb one to the grapple. That way you HAVE a true 3d function up front.
While I have no need for 'top and tilt', if I put a grapple on ,I'd have to have full time control over it
This would not be efficient. When using the grapple you are curling, closing, and booming all at the same time. Using your wrist, arm and thumb button simultaneously. If the grapple is plumbed to the rear remote, you'd have to remove your hand off the joystick to actuate the grapple down at your right side, or need a third hand...

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My salesman talked me out of rear remotes on my L2501 as well. I think they just don't want to do the work as it is a bit more labor than many of the other options.

I regretted not sticking to my guns and have them installed. I have not necessarily needed them, but they are nice to have.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It always perplexed me to understand why salespeople will talk the customer out of what they ask for. I was ordering a new Ford, and the salesman kept saying that "I don't need that", when I asked for a particular accessory. I finally get fed up with him telling me what I wanted, and I got up and walked over to the sales manager, and told him that I wasn't buying the truck from his dealership because of the salesman telling me what I wanted and didn't want. I then walked out of the dealership, and the next day, the owner of the dealership called to talk to me. He said I should come in and he will write up the order, and I could get whatever I wanted on the truck. He even gave me a better deal that the salesman wanted to charge for less equipment. If that salesman worked for me, he wouldn't work for me ever again after pissing off a customer!

Reactions: 4 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Wait. You can order and install it yourself should you decide you want it.

IMO every tractor should have at least one rear remote if for nothing else than a hydraulic top link. The Kubota valves are nicely integrated but quite pricey. The outlets however are pricey, low end, and poorly integrated. I was exactly where you are a couple months ago and got so exasperated with the lack of reliable information I was getting from Kubota sales and service I deleted the remotes from my purchase. See my thoughts on the matter in the Fabrication forum.

Dan

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Do you have any future need for rear implements besides the backhoe? Do those implements require constant height/angle adjustment or are they just raise/lower? On our M7060 we started with 1 rear remote. The dealer quoted the same price to add additional remotes at sale or later (and they come out to install them).

We added 2 more about a year after initial purchase, but it didn’t set us back in productivity. At purchase we didn’t have the implement to use them. When we ordered said implement we added the remotes. The implement and 2 remotes were delivered/installed the same day. It was no big deal.

Contrast that with the M62 purchase…I got all 3 remotes along with TNT and a hydraulic rear blade. Glad I did.

So in the end we used the remotes on both machines. Just be sure you have a planned implement to take advantage of them first.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
Sounds like it's the dealer not wanting to install them in addition to the backhoe stuff. It does take some skill to do that.

I have 2 on my L2501, waiting on top and tilt. If you're ordering TnT from Fitrite, order now, I think it's over 6 months wait.

2501 isn't going to run anything major with constant flow, but it's good for TnT, rear blade/rake, hydraulic shift flail mower, lots of uses...

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I have the backhoe, FEL and 2 rear remotes plus third function for the FEL. No way I would be without any.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I own 3 tractors, purchased my first with no rear remotes, later added one set of rear remotes which was very expensive, next tractor I purchased one set of rear remotes with tractor, later went back for second set. Third tractor, I ordered with 2 sets of rear remotes, I finally learned.

I use my rear remotes for hydraulic top links, tilt trailer, rear blade adjustment and in winter for chute rotate and angle on rear snow blowers.

If you can stretch the budget I would strongly recommend 2 sets of rear remotes.

Good luck with your new tractor.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Here is one good reason (there are many!) to get them…rear remote operates the hydraulic thumb which is my most used favorite tool.

get them…

B157C983-3151-4402-9BCA-6CB8798D48BB.jpeg