Synthetic or Conventional motor oil in Kubota diesels

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Well, fortunately I didn't have to read Xi's latest public address to the nation ... and I'll stick with the opinion of current and past foreign policy advisors, and experts in the private sector, that consider China to be the single biggest threat to our national security. You may do as you wish.

Reactions: 1 user

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Man, you guys are getting soft. I remember back in the day when synthetic was mentioned it was like getting kicked in the nuts while trying to smack the color off a rattle snake. Glad to see some are a little more open minded now.

Hedgerow, I changed mine over to Amsoil on the first change and that's all they've had since. Been using it in everything I own for the last 25 years or so. Although I'm not a fan of T6 I guess you could do worse. No matter what brand you choose or how few hrs you put on in a year all engine oil should be changed at least once a year.

• Haha

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Both will keep the tractor running in fine shape for similar distances…. The difference is in how much we PAY for that.

• Dislike

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Bottom line there is no valid reason to NOT use QUALITY synthetic lubricants. (Note QUALITY). Just slapping a synthetic label on Billy Bob's XXw-XX oil does not make it "quality" anymore than slapping "professional" or "commercial" on some POS appliance makes it "better". It's a sadly overused "buzzword".
However the benefits of it FAR outweigh the cost. Unless of course the engine (or equipment) the lubricant is going into is not worth it. I have been using synthetics like stated earlier since the early 70's when Mobil first introduced it. My engines have remained spotless internally and wear pretty much non existent. Actually I have yet to be able to "wear out" a vehicle/engine/transmission. Rust and corrosion thanks to our environment has always taken it's toll long before useful life due to wear was reached.
On my G2160 it's had synthetic all it's life (Amsoil) prior to me buying it. Right now it uses Shell Rotella T-6.
Yes conventional oils have gotten light years better than they once were as well, but good synthetics are light years better even than they are.
I did not continue with Amsoil only because it's hard to get and WAY more $$$$ than any possible benefit over a known great product like Rotella T6
I don't say this based only on "opinion" but on solid anecdotal and evidential experience over the course of close to 50 years experience using these products and working on MANY vehicles.
But bottom line everyone is free to do as they please. This is how "I please" :D
lmichael… I “get” what you are saying….and don’t dispute that synthetic lubricants have longer lives than conventionals…. BUT…. how long do you think the average owner lives…. or his equipment lives? Example: I had a ‘92 Jeep Cherokee with a straight six. I loved that car.
From oil-change ONE …it had Quaker State SAE 10W30 or SAE30 motor oil in it. (correct..that did not meet the 10W30 Jeep recommended, but it was cheaper and as the car got older I went cheaper.) After 100K miles (or so) I discovered the WalMart ”Supertech” oil is the same stuff…but $1/qt cheaper…so that’s what I used for the NEXT 100K miles…. and it then occurred to me to see just how long this car would last using cheap oil. At 300K miles with no major repairs (it did get a new water pump and radiator and wheel bearings/u-joints)…..
….I was planning to write a “testimonial” to the Quaker State people (SOSUS is the actual company…they also produce Pennzoil alongside QS and Supertech…. it all comes out of the same ground thru the same refinery and just goes into different bottles with different prices)….…

I was spending about $12-$15 on each oil and filter change (SUpertechfilters are around $2 and made by Purolator) …and compared to full-synthetic oil changes I saved many-Hundred$ over the life of that car. After over 22 years of operations…. It was finally rear-ended by a woman driving a Class A motorhome-while-texting…or I’d still be driving that car. it had 335,000+ miles on it and still did not burn oil!

Now…. how much difference would it have made to throw high-dollar full synthetic oil into that vehicle…?? I don’t buy new cars every few years like many people do. I drive ‘em until they’re either wrecked or stolen

I’ll bet most people can figure out the math on this .

Even if you don’t do your own oil changes…WM will perform a “basic” oil change for $19…. or a FULL synthetic for $50…that’s a $30 difference. A 5K mile conventional oil change (which is what I did on that Jeep) versus a 10K mile synthetic change (what Toyota recommends for my wifes Sienna) is an effective difference of $60 each 10K miles. Over the life of that Jeep that’s hundreds of dollars difference…and makes ZERO difference in the life expectancy of the vehicle.

Did cheap oil and filters help that car obtain over 300,000 miles….? I don’t know.

What I DO KNOW…is it did not PREVENT that car from getting over 300,000 miles with no major repairs…and I don’t waste good money on magic oils that provide no meaningful benefit. I spend it on whiskey and women and dogs.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Here's a question for all you pilot types and I know there are some on this forum. What oils do you run in your planes? Are synthetics popular in that application?
Why is that relevant to this discussion?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Here's a question for all you pilot types and I know there are some on this forum. What oils do you run in your planes? Are synthetics popular in that application?

Why is that relevant to this discussion?
I don’t know about the relevance…but I run ordinary AeroShell 100W which is conventional oil. Full Synthetic oil was tried in aircraft reciprocating engines and it resulted in engine failures….because aviation gasoline contains “lead” and synthetic oil does not scavenge lead and certain other contaminates well. (MOBIL is who tried the full-synthetic aviation oil and lost million$ in the subsequent lawsuits. They pulled the product off the market. The only synthetic oils for aircraft reciprocating engines are “blends”…. and that makes absolutely Zero difference in oil change periods….I.E. no extended oil change is allowed due to that.)

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
15w-40 Dino Oil is, today, pretty darn good oil.

However, 5w-40 Synthetic is just simply better at everything. Everything.

It starts moving faster, so it gets to vital engine parts sooner. It will allow your engine to run cooler, it gets up to operating temperature faster, it lasts longer, it resists viscosity break-down due to high heat better, it will give you better fuel economy..... Everything about it is better if you have a good engine.

If your engine is a leaker, it gets old spending the bucks for Syn. If it rattles and is on its last legs...... Just use whatever.

But for a new engine? Syn is the only way to go, IMHO. But 15w-40 isn't a bad oil unless you're operating anywhere near 0 degrees F. Especially on some of the newer engines that like to go into regen unexpectedly.
Folks I am lucky! My neighbor of over 40 years just happens to be a senior petroleum engineer for over 45 years and he owns a Kubota. When I asked which oil I should be using in my tractor I got a lecture that was interesting but about 10,000 feet above my paygrade. Here are the takeaways from what I learned;
1. Just because a cheaper oil says it is compatible.... that does not mean they are the same as a factory spec oils ( additives, base oil types, ect )
2. The price of an oil does not make it better
3. Match your oil choices to your operational characteristics
4. And most of all... educate yourself. Poll your peers just like you are doing now, Research the oil manufacturers websites and question their technical folks and most importantly talk to your dealer service techs as the have witnessed the good, bad and ugly first hand.
5. This one is important! If your tractor is in warranty used the oil brand and spec recommended by your equipment manufacturer as not to chance voiding the warranty in case of a mechanical failure

Now the answer to my initial question.... what oil?
He said Mobile Delvec 1300 Super 15w-40 for our region

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Folks I am lucky! My neighbor of over 40 years just happens to be a senior petroleum engineer for over 45 years and he owns a Kubota. When I asked which oil I should be using in my tractor I got a lecture that was interesting but about 10,000 feet above my paygrade. Here are the takeaways from what I learned;
1. Just because a cheaper oil says it is compatible.... that does not mean they are the same as a factory spec oils ( additives, base oil types, ect )
2. The price of an oil does not make it better
3. Match your oil choices to your operational characteristics
4. And most of all... educate yourself. Poll your peers just like you are doing now, Research the oil manufacturers websites and question their technical folks and most importantly talk to your dealer service techs as the have witnessed the good, bad and ugly first hand.
5. This one is important! If your tractor is in warranty used the oil brand and spec recommended by your equipment manufacturer as not to chance voiding the warranty in case of a mechanical failure

Now the answer to my initial question.... what oil?
He said Mobile Delvec 1300 Super 15w-40 for our region
So he recommends a non-Kubota 15w40 in an area where temps go well below freezing and contrary to Kubota's guidelines.

Dan

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The best 'road test' of oils + filters was done by TomMcCahill of MecannixIllustrated in the late 50s' early 60s ( gotta be on the web 'somewhere'.If I recall right 3 or 4 cars, east coast to west, and maybe back again.... it makes for a very,very intersting read...

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The best 'road test' of oils + filters was done by TomMcCahill of MecannixIllustrated in the late 50s' early 60s ( gotta be on the web 'somewhere'.If I recall right 3 or 4 cars, east coast to west, and maybe back again.... it makes for a very,very intersting read...
But none of those oils he tested in the 50-60s are the same as what is currently available

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I use oils that meet the manufacturers specifications, regardless if dino or syn. One change I may go with a semi syn, the next a full syn, all depends on the upcoming workload. Either way, I use a name brand oil, for the most part Mobil 1, or Shell Rotella.

What really matters most is not the oil itself, any rated oil will do what its intended to do, but whats important is using a GOOD filter. The oil serves two purposes in an engine, Lubricate, and carry byproducts away to be filtered out. If using good oil and a cheap filter, well, why bother?

Any rated oil will lubricate properly, synthetics just happen to do it longer than Dino. So follow the basic rules, Properly Rated, of the correct viscosity and use a GOOD filter.

Back in the 90's I rebuilt a first gen 5.0 in a Ford LTD Wagon, blue printed it and used Castrol GTX 10w30 in it all the time. I put 300K on that engine which wound up in two different cars while I had it. Sometimes I would go 10-15K between changes, but always had a Motorcraft filter, and Castrol GTX in it. When I pulled it out of the LTD to drop into a Grand Marquis with 280K on it, I had to swap the pan, so for shits and giggles popped the bearing caps off a couple rods and main and plastigauged them. All bearings were smooth and all speced out the proper clearances for a new engine. There was NO buildup inside, just the normal heat varnish on the metal. It was then that I knew for a fact that 3K oil change intervals was a gimmick to sell more oil, Hello Jiffy Lube! Been doing 10K changes ever since and never have had any oil related issues on any engine. Of course I always drove for long periods, no short hops that left the engine cold and damp, always got it good and hot to burn off moisture.

Good oil, good filters, good to go.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Been using M1 synthetic in all my engines since M and E combined and could do it with good conscience. Worked for E in lube oil industry for 31 years and was privy to the tests our research people did on other oils. Knew M1 is the best. (Never heard of Amsoil back in those days).

Use 0w20 in all 3 gasoliine engines and 0w30 ESP now in the JD. No reason Kubotas cannot use synthetics. They'd be kinder to the Tier 4 stuff, too, especially the ESP (exhaust system protection). When I change the Isuzu's oil out next year for its 10 year turnaround, it'll get M1 0w30 ESP.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
My dad "taught" me that when the red light came on it was time to add motor oil. We were not very particular on the type. GHT (Gods Honest Truth)

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
So he recommends a non-Kubota 15w40 in an area where temps go well below freezing and contrary to Kubota's guidelines.

Dan
Dan.... I can't speak to that because my oil question was focused on my area.... the midatlantic region. However your question is a good one.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan.... I can't speak to that because my oil question was focused on my area.... the midatlantic region. However your question is a good one.
My question was aimed at your area. Rising Sun is less than an hour from me - it gets too cold for a 15W oil.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My dad "taught" me that when the red light came on it was time to add motor oil. We were not very particular on the type. GHT (Gods Honest Truth)
My wife's BMW has an oil level warning system. When the light comes on it is a quart low. I will not tell her it is still safe to drive because if I do she will ignore it and let it get a lot lower. Better she thinks its an urgent situation and deals with it pronto.

Dan

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
My wife's BMW has an oil level warning system. When the light comes on it is a quart low. I will not tell her it is still safe to drive because if I do she will ignore it and let it get a lot lower. Better she thinks its an urgent situation and deals with it pronto.

Dan
Thats smart. I bought a used R1150 GS a few months ago. Its my second GS. I have been trying to work up the courage to remove the battery and put it on a tender for the winter. Its a quite involved process. Rides like magic carpet might. Delightful.