SVL95-2S Running Hot with Drum Mulcher (solved)

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Cavitation is caused by air in the system, lower viscosity fluid won't help that.
Is it safe to assume the machine quick connects are sized correctly? I only ask because we had issues with a 3ft road mill on our kubota that we didn't have on the old new Holland. Turned out the little fittings on the Kubota weren't actually rated for the high flow option. They caused a restriction in the system and heated up the hydraulics pretty fast. We also had (dealer) to add a case drain line that went directly back to the tank.
I've been following along, but am still at a bit of a loss if it's the engine over heating, they hydraulics, or both?
I can’t speak for others; speaking about my machine, only the coolant is getting hot the hydraulic fluid is staying around 125 to 130°.

Reactions: 1 user

CottonValley

Equipment
SVL 95-2S, KX-040, M110GX, M5400, ZD331
Nov 19, 2018
Tuskegee, AL
I can’t speak for others; speaking about my machine, only the coolant is getting hot the hydraulic fluid is staying around 125 to 130°.
I just spoke with the Kubota service manager where I bought my machine. He is telling me there is a sensor that will go off if the Hydraulic Oil gets too high. He didn't have time for a long conversation but I want to find out at what temp does that occur because you would think if the Hydraulic temp is driving up the engine coolant to the point where it overheats then we would see that sensor come on. Otherwise, is it just the load the mulcher is putting on the machine regardless of the Hydraulic temp?

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
You used to see a hp rating for bigger hydraulic motors, I'm kinda wondering if the engine/pump set up is actually too small for this multcher head.

Reactions: 1 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I just spoke with the Kubota service manager where I bought my machine. He is telling me there is a sensor that will go off if the Hydraulic Oil gets too high. He didn't have time for a long conversation but I want to find out at what temp does that occur because you would think if the Hydraulic temp is driving up the engine coolant to the point where it overheats then we would see that sensor come on. Otherwise, is it just the load the mulcher is putting on the machine regardless of the Hydraulic temp?
The hydraulic oil temp light comes at 226 degrees while the engine is running above 700 RPM. The switch is mounted on the left front corner of the hydraulic tank.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
The hydraulic oil temp light comes at 226 degrees while the engine is running above 700 RPM. The switch is mounted on the left front corner of the hydraulic tank.
Hi, thanks for participating. I check my hydraulic line with a laser thermometer, and it runs around 128 degrees. Not sure about in the fluid tank. Tomorrow, in going to install a temp sensor in my hydraulic tank although, I can’t fund a Kubota dealer that can tell me what “normal” operating temp is.
I had another guy who’s 95 was overheating so, he switched the mulching from the 95 to his 75, the 75 never overheated.
I’ll get some data on hydraulic fluid temp and post it.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Here is where the dealer should have started.
Thanks for supplying the group with this dealer troubleshooting guide. The first dealer I sent the machine to said they used the trouble shooting guide and the problem was still present. Although, I’m sure this guide will help someone. Again, thanks fir posting

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
hmm, wondering what happens if you use a 'loopback' hose instead of the mulcher ?
does the engine overheat ?
I can use any other implement and the SVL95 won’t overheat. Although, if the same head is run on a SVL75 instead of a SVL95, the SVL75 doesn't overheat. SVL75’s doesn’t have a DOT system.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Thanks for supplying the group with this dealer troubleshooting guide. The first dealer I sent the machine to said they used the trouble shooting guide and the problem was still present. Although, I’m sure this guide will help someone. Again, thanks fir posting
They removed the injectors, sent them to the Kubota-approved service center for testing, and performed a compression test?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Interesting it's fine on the 75(less GPM and PSI) and NOT on the 95(more GPM and PSI).
so..it shouldn't be problem on the bigger machine....
yeah what IS that DOT system as it's the only thing so far different between the 2 machines.

curious,googled... the '95' ,there's a video about 'how to engage high flow..' so that's got me wondering if you need to 'push a button somewhere' to increase the GPM to the mulcher. I wouldn't have thought about that 'option' ! To me hydraulics is a pump-valve-cylinder NO 'computers' in the loop !!
If it's in 'low flow' mode, I can see overheating occouring.

Last edited:

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Interesting it's fine on the 75(less GPM and PSI) and NOT on the 95(more GPM and PSI).
so..it shouldn't be problem on the bigger machine....
yeah what IS that DOT system as it's the only thing so far different between the 2 machines.

curious,googled... the '95' ,there's a video about 'how to engage high flow..' so that's got me wondering if you need to 'push a button somewhere' to increase the GPM to the mulcher. I wouldn't have thought about that 'option' ! To me hydraulics is a pump-valve-cylinder NO 'computers' in the loop !!
If it's in 'low flow' mode, I can see overheating occouring.
Low flow would be easier on the engine though, doesn't have to pump as much fluid. Even if it maintained 3000 psi it wouldn't load the engine like high flow at 2500 psi.
I wonder if he meant the def system?

wilsonwd

Equipment
Kubota SVL95-2S with Denis Cimaf 180D
Jun 20, 2022
Moss Bluff
When running the mulcher, the machine motor temperature continually increases (20-30 minutes) until "Hot" warning sounds off. If anyone would like to talk to me about this problem, please feel free to call me at 931-292-0145 (Three Oaks Property Management)

Hi folks, while running a mulcher: my SVL95-2S Skid Steer equip with a Loftness Battle-Ax 71 inch mulcher with Loftness external cooler; begins to run hot (temp light signal and buzzer but not overheating, just running hot) after an hour of run time.
Has anyone experienced this and found resolution.
Yes, I checked the obvious, ie,:
1. Radiator I assured it was clean and I could see very clearly through it when shining a light through it.
2. Motor venting clean and clear.
3. I checked the antifreeze. Yes, antifreeze, good to 20 degrees, so it’s not straight anitfreeze.
4. Fan is spinning and pulling a lot of air through radiator.
5. Checked oil. ( changed with Kubota oils 8 hrs ago.
6. Check hydraulic fluid changed (12 gal, because I’m running a loftness cooler) and filter 10 hours ago.
7. Air filter new
8. DEF full, only use high grade no gas station DEF.
9. it with A/C on or off.
10. Does it with heater on or off.
11.Does it with windows open or closed
12. 3/4 or full throttle; it does it.
13. 75 degrees out, ever does it when it’s 65 degrees.
14. Using mulcher with external dual fan hydraulic cooler. (Both fans running) hydraulic lines are luke warm.
15. A/C condenser clean and full light can shine through.

5/21/21: As suggested by the first Kubota dealer; I transported my Skid Steer to a different Kubota dealer to see if they would have any better luck resolving this problem. I’ve been getting more and more folks contacting me with this same problem. The problem exists with and or without a cooler. All the Techs are still leaning towards the hydraulic pump/system being the culprit.

Update 5/18/22: The SS went back to Kubota Because it's still overheating. As requested, this time I delivered it with the mulching head on it. The tech spent most of the day testing the machine. He began by rechecked the new injectors to assure that all four were running correctly. They were.
Kubota Corp thought that the DEF Re-gen system might be clogged. They forced a re-gen and confirmed that the system was running at the correct temp and was not clogged. He operated the machine with his computer hooked to the system and sitting in his lap. Any time the mulching head was running the engine coolant temp rose significantly. Shut the head off and the temp began to lower. With this, he checked the engine and exhaust temps. He noted that the all engine and exhaust temps never increased enough to affect the coolant temp. This has lead him to believe that there could be a restriction somewhere in the hydraulic system. I'll have another update as soon as I know something.

Update 5/12/22: Took the machine to the Kubota dealer. On 5/2/22. motor still not throwing any codes. Motor is using 1/2 quart of oil every 300 hours. Kubota mechanic says that it normal usage. Mechanic checked port after the turbo to check for "oil burn". Turbo ports are clean with no residue.
After long deliberation, Kobota decided to send the injectors out to be tested. Three injectors were pushing too much diesel and failed the POP test.. Kubota warrantied all 4 injectors (zero cost for the repair).
***Mulched with the machine today: After 1/2 hour mulching, the machine is still overheating. Called
Kubota dealer, they said; tomorrow (5/13/22) they are going to set a conference call with Kubota to discuss the problem.

5/12/22: To eliminate the hydraulic system as the problem. I jumped the fans in the Loftness hydraulic cooler that is mounted on the top of the machine. When the fans are on (all the time), the hydraulic system is running at 125 degrees, and the motor still gets hot.
5/22/22: Kubota suggested setting the high flow settings from right side 14 left side 9 to 12-8 respectively. Machine still overheated.

Update: 4/25/22: tried changing the thermostat and both belts. Machine continues to run hot while running the mulcher. The longer I use the machine the hotter it gets. Temps are :
Top hose- 96 to 140 degrees
Bottom hose- 85-89 degrees

Thanks for your help
Mike
Any updates? I'm having the same problem with mine. Dealership recently changed all the def system last week and that's when it started. I deleted over the weekend and still overheating. Only thing I didn't do is pull my exhaust filters yet

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Any updates? I'm having the same problem with mine. Dealership recently changed all the def system last week and that's when it started. I deleted over the weekend and still overheating. Only thing I didn't do is pull my exhaust filters yet
You deleted what? The emissions system? If you did, you just lost any emissions warranty and any dealer support.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Hi, I’ve been trying to service customers with the machine, running 15 minutes and stopping for 5 minutes. Today I took the radiator in for a complete cleaning and coolant and air flow tests. I’ll post the findings next week when I have time to use the machine. I also purchased a loop for the external cooler hoses so I can bypass the cooler to eliminate and questions folks might have about any restrictions causing hydraulic slam which might be creating heat or heat the cooler might be inducing. Keep checking for updates or just call me anytime.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
They removed the injectors, sent them to the Kubota-approved service center for testing, and performed a compression test?
This is a very good question. Yes, the injectors were sent out for testing. Three were pushing too much fuel. All four were replaced although, replacing the injectors did not fix the overheating problem.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
This is a very good question. Yes, the injectors were sent out for testing. Three were pushing too much fuel. All four were replaced although, replacing the injectors did not fix the overheating problem.
What are the compression readings?

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
What are the compression readings?
Kubota told me the c
You deleted what? The emissions system? If you did, you just lost any emissions warranty and any dealer support.
This is Mike: please post any findings that you discover with the DPT system. Im currently trying to get mine changed next week.
Compression reading were very similar to a new machine compression.
I will ask them to check them again and give me the pressure readings. Thanks