SVL 75-2 Frozen PCV Issues

JBX1047

Feb 7, 2019
Illinois United States
Hi there I’m new to the forums and I’m looking for advice on how to approach a failiure on our skidsteer loader. We have a 2017 Kubota SVL 75-2 (500 hours) and the turbo seal recently blew out. After taking the loader to our dealer we were informed that the oil separator had frozen up which caused the crankcase gases to blow out the turbo seal. In turn the oil leaking from the seal knocked out portions of the DPF (seal blew out on exhaust side).We are now facing an expensive bill for the repair and are looking for options as the loader is out of warranty. Does anyone have any suggestions? The manual states nothing about draining the separator. It only talks about replacing the element at 1500 hours.

All replies appreciated.
Thanks!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Are you sure it is out of warranty? Those parts are psrt of the emissions control system which has a 5 yr warranty on it. There have been various bulletins on components that have frozen, so go back through all of your maintenance, and document everything, remind your dealer of the 5 yr warranty, you should have gotten a copy of it when you bought the machine, and also be prepared to contact Kubota directly. If for some other reason the warranty has been voided, all those parts are expensive....please keep us posted.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have heard of this on the SVL95 but not the 75. It was a combination of things that led to turbocharger failure. Some of those included in that combination were failure to let the engine warm up at idle speed before hammering on it, dirty air filters, yes freezing oil separator too. I want to say that there was some information sent to the dealers in reference to this. You may want to call the dealer and ask them to look it up on kubota's tech service center. and also ask them about a reprogram of the ECU if there is one for the SVL75. There was information sent out at one point that dealt with an air cleaner indicator that could be placed in the operator's station, so that the operator would be aware of a plugged air cleaner. If you have hired help, I would certainly recommend this.

In the meantime, it may be advantageous to make a call to Kubota's customer support line, if nothing else, but to put a case in. They may or may not help you but if they do, that would be awesome.

JBX1047

Feb 7, 2019
Illinois United States
Are you sure it is out of warranty? Those parts are psrt of the emissions control system which has a 5 yr warranty on it. There have been various bulletins on components that have frozen, so go back through all of your maintenance, and document everything, remind your dealer of the 5 yr warranty, you should have gotten a copy of it when you bought the machine, and also be prepared to contact Kubota directly. If for some other reason the warranty has been voided, all those parts are expensive....please keep us posted.
I’ll double check that paperwork. Not sure if failures caused by non emissions components will be covered. Time to read between the lines!

Juiced06GTO

Equipment
2016 B2601
Nov 26, 2014
Sutton, MA
This has been a huge issue with Tier 4 engines not unique to Kubota. I run a branch for a national equipment rental company and the problem is rampant across all of our new equipment. We have 63 new generators down right now around the Northeast due to PCV and EGR freeze ups. The same thing happens, it causes crank case pressure to build up in sub freezing temps and blows the seals right out of the motor. We have had the problem with Izuzu, Kubota, JD, Perkins, and Deutz motors. Unfortunately, the mfgs are being extremely slow to admit there is an issue. I would fight Kubota on the non warranty part, the issue is known and needs to be addressed.

JBX1047

Feb 7, 2019
Illinois United States
I have heard of this on the SVL95 but not the 75. It was a combination of things that led to turbocharger failure. Some of those included in that combination were failure to let the engine warm up at idle speed before hammering on it, dirty air filters, yes freezing oil separator too. I want to say that there was some information sent to the dealers in reference to this. You may want to call the dealer and ask them to look it up on kubota's tech service center. and also ask them about a reprogram of the ECU if there is one for the SVL75. There was information sent out at one point that dealt with an air cleaner indicator that could be placed in the operator's station, so that the operator would be aware of a plugged air cleaner. If you have hired help, I would certainly recommend this.

In the meantime, it may be advantageous to make a call to Kubota's customer support line, if nothing else, but to put a case in. They may or may not help you but if they do, that would be awesome.
I should have mentioned that the machine had been serviced 20 hours prior. The environment where we work has super fine dust particles anywhere you go so we clean more than usual. The air filter was new before this last service and was cleaned with compressed air during this service. Also the machine had been running for awhile before all the warning lights started flashing. Although this was in the middle of this last polar vortex when it was roughly -20. I will definitely ask about that sensor, I feel it could be really useful with what we’re doing. Going to look up Kubota’s customer support line for sure! Thanks for the reply!

JBX1047

Feb 7, 2019
Illinois United States
This has been a huge issue with Tier 4 engines not unique to Kubota. I run a branch for a national equipment rental company and the problem is rampant across all of our new equipment. We have 63 new generators down right now around the Northeast due to PCV and EGR freeze ups. The same thing happens, it causes crank case pressure to build up in sub freezing temps and blows the seals right out of the motor. We have had the problem with Izuzu, Kubota, JD, Perkins, and Deutz motors. Unfortunately, the mfgs are being extremely slow to admit there is an issue. I would fight Kubota on the non warranty part, the issue is known and needs to be addressed.
Wow that’s definitely no good especially when it’s cold enough that you need those generators running. After doing some poking around on the forums here it seems that certain Kubota tractors had the same isssues and it looks like dealers were insulating the PCV lines to try and alleviate the issue. We have thought about fighting them on this but we’ve decided that would be our last resort. Best of luck fixing those and glad to know the feeling’s mutual! Thanks

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Here is a link to a thread on a mandatory campaign that Kubota called for cold weather problems in the 60 series tractors a couple of years ago that deals with those components. Tech came out and insulated the lines etc. There was one last year which seemed to focus mainly on tractors north of the US Canada border since mine was not included. That one added a bigger alternator and a heater??? if I remember correctly. So Kubota is aware of the freezing problem and has been working on it.

You can find out if your SVL has been subject to any campaigns by going to Kubota corp website and sending an email including the serial number. If your dealer didn't notify you of campaigns or didn't make sure the machine had been updated when it was sold, you should get some help on those repairs.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Here is a link to a thread on a mandatory campaign that Kubota called for cold weather problems in the 60 series tractors a couple of years ago that deals with those components. Tech came out and insulated the lines etc. There was one last year which seemed to focus mainly on tractors north of the US Canada border since mine was not included. That one added a bigger alternator and a heater??? if I remember correctly. So Kubota is aware of the freezing problem and has been working on it.

You can find out if your SVL has been subject to any campaigns by going to Kubota corp website and sending an email including the serial number. If your dealer didn't notify you of campaigns or didn't make sure the machine had been updated when it was sold, you should get some help on those repairs.
As far as using their online campaign-finder, it's not a total waste but it only gives you part of what they'd be looking for. The dealers have access to MUCH more than most know about; sometimes more than even Kubota knows about. A great example is GroupMe. Our little network has our techs set up on a group text, such that we can discuss different issues, and it has been a great tool. Lot of the stuff discussed Kubota knows nothing about.

As far as the SVL problem, there has been talk of similar issue with the SVL95's but I've certainly not heard of it on the 75's. I was just in a week long school last week that dealt with the CE stuff and they did not mention it, only the 95-and they spent a lot of time talking about how to deal with them. It's an expensive piece of equipment and problems like this SHOULD not happen, alas, they obviously do since humans, in all their imperfection, designed it. Again, I highly suggest making a call to the customer care center. I also have other suggestions if that doesn't get you anywhere, but we don't want to go that route unless we absolutely have to.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would push for a warranty claim.

One: There was a known issue with the PVC's freezing up on several different models of kubota's and there was a service bulletin to put on a winter kit on those engines, that keeps it from freezing.

Two: It's part of the emissions system so any failure from that system and subsequent damage from a emission device failure should be covered, The PVC froze (It's an emissions device) and all damage was caused by it's failure. ;)

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The freezing of crankcase vent lines is happening on emergency generators.

This is Honda's document.

Cold Weather Kits
These special cold-weather kits were created to address some unusual operational issues with Honda generators operated in extremely cold environments for extended periods of time. While all Honda generators can operate quite well in cold weather, there are some very rare cold-weather conditions where it is possible for water to collect and freeze inside the crankcase breather tube fitted between the air cleaner and crankcase. When this happens, the formed ice can block air flow and possibly cause the generator not to work properly, or some oil to leak out of the engine.
To prevent this, Honda has developed a small, 10-watt heating coil that fits inside the tube and keeps the area warm enough to prevent ice from forming. The heating coil gets its power from the generator by connecting to the back terminal of a selected receptacle. Each kit is unique to a specific generator, and some come with special insulated parts to help regulate the temperature. Once installed, the cold weather kit may remain on the generator; it is okay for it to operate year-round.

Generac and Champion have similar kits. Often they are very cagey when describing acceptable operating temps.

A friend's B7100 HST started leaking oil out the front seal during a very cold spell. Vent line was frozen.

Silicone pad heaters can be a solution to keep the vent clear.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1200x12mm-1...h=item1a4c0acd4a:g:tjwAAOSwE3ha1bBd:rk:2:pf:0

Dave

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Water freezing in PVC hoses has been a problem in some cars from the start of closed crankcase venting, 1968. It is worse in turbo engines because of the additional blow by and the need to vent before the turbo which does not have as strong vacuum. This is the same problem in diesels as they do not have manifold vacuum.
Some manufactures do not have the issue due to good design and probably a little luck. Others have used small heaters just above the PVC valve to melt any ice and open the tube quickly after startup. A possible solution for Kubota owners without Dealer support is to adapt the VW heater used on the mark 4 Jetta & Golf TDI engines, PN 1J0906391B. These engines know as "ALH" and were sold from 1999 thru 2005 in the US. The newer diesel engines prob use one too. Jeff

Last edited:

David88

Jul 22, 2019
Chicago
Hi there I’m new to the forums and I’m looking for advice on how to approach a failiure on our skidsteer loader. We have a 2017 Kubota SVL 75-2 (500 hours) and the turbo seal recently blew out. After taking the loader to our dealer we were informed that the oil separator had frozen up which caused the crankcase gases to blow out the turbo seal. In turn the oil leaking from the seal knocked out portions of the DPF (seal blew out on exhaust side).We are now facing an expensive bill for the repair and are looking for options as the loader is out of warranty. Does anyone have any suggestions? The manual states nothing about draining the separator. It only talks about replacing the element at 1500 hours.

All replies appreciated.
Thanks!
If you have the manual can u please send it to me? I'll pay a price if you need it. But I need a PDF or a soft-copy not a hard-copy please